Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #16
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
^I see. I guess that makes sense and is kind of cool, but perhaps a bit confusing? Wouldn't it be harder to get a true sense of how long a book really is and/or how much more reading you have to go, if the page number displayed doesn't necessarily correspond the screen change?

Right now I am using Stanza, which does not display the total number of 'pages', so I have never noticed how many screen changes constitute a singe page.

Last edited by foghat; 05-01-2010 at 11:38 AM.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #17
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
I'd recommend the Kobo eReader. The Sony is priced too high (prices will probably drop now that the Kobo eReader has been released which may help you make the decision between the two).
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #18
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
lchen, I got the Kobo on the 1st actually. But I would point out that with the Sony eReader on sale right now and the fact that you can send a Text (check sony's twitter) to get a $25 off an ereader coupon. The 2 readers basically end up at the same price.

I got the Kobo because it has a bigger screen, and has expandable memory. I actually got all my ebooks formatted and ready on a little 128mb card before I bought it and I just had to plug the card in and go.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #19
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
Hi Turt99, I got mine on the 1st too Also my first e-Ink device and I'm pleased with it.

The Sony might be attractive to some buyers now that the price has been lowered (but they should really reduce the price if they want to leaders in the ebook product sector ->i.e. instead of just applying reactionary pricing for a slightly older eReader). The Sony Reader might also have an aluminum casing and alternative colours which would appeal to some buyers. The support for other formats may be a key decision maker.

Hope you enjoy the Kobo eReader. Works as advertised. Simple.
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #20
Shecky
Shecky doesn't litterShecky doesn't litter

Device: Sony Pocket PRS-300
(Grr. Got logged out when trying to submit, so I'll try to recreate the post.)

I'm hoping someone is able to make a direct compare/contrast between the Kobo and the Sony Touch. The Touch is currently on sale through this weekend for $200 US, and I'm wondering whether it's worth the extra $50. I'm looking for a bare-bones reader - something that just reads e-books. Don't need wireless connectivity, color or anything else; I don't want to read newspapers, magazines or comics. Just books.

One additional criterion: formats. I have a number of texts in .html and .doc format, but I don't see whether either of these readers can handle them. Can they? If not, is there conversion software out there that can make them readable by one or the other? My wife and I just got Office 2007, and I've been told it can make a PDF out of just about any document. I know that both readers can read PDFs... but do they read PDFs well? Or does it make for awkward reading?

With all this in mind, and IF the Touch is better than the Kobo, is it worth the extra $50 (yes, I'm a cheap b*****d )? The sale on the Touch expires this weekend, so I'd like to know today or tomorrow, if possible. Thanks for your help!
Shecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #21
Shecky

Wow, no Canadians on here? Darn. I was hoping someone had direct, hands-on experience with both.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #22
Shade
Shade began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
The kobo look like having much plastic (like a toy?), is it as solid as the sony 300 reader?
Because the bigger screen for less money looks interesting. Someone have both of them?
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #23
Turt99
Connoisseur

I am the OP of this thread but since then I got myself a KOBO and my wife got a SONY, you can read my thoughts as I posted them in another thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83138

Short Version: If the upcoming firmware update for Kobo fixes some of the bigger issues, then combined with the larger screen and SD slot I believe the KOBO wins. But as of right now the Sony seems to have the "it just works" thing going for it.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As of right now, you can get a 600 and a cover for about $214. Yes, I know it's more expensive then the Kobo, but, as was said before, IT JUST WORKS. True, it may not be the latest version of ADE, but the dictionary is nice and it works. The 600 has history, bookmarks, a dictionary, hyperlink support, and you can change font sizes.

So, do you want to get a 600 that works or a Kobo that might someday on a Bookeen Monday work?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #25
Shecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As of right now, you can get a 600 and a cover for about $214. Yes, I know it's more expensive then the Kobo, but, as was said before, IT JUST WORKS. True, it may not be the latest version of ADE, but the dictionary is nice and it works. The 600 has history, bookmarks, a dictionary, hyperlink support, and you can change font sizes.

So, do you want to get a 600 that works or a Kobo that might someday on a Bookeen Monday work?
Which is why I was asking if there were Canadians or Australians who've actually gotten their hands on a Kobo to compare. Beyond that, I don't need a history, a dictionary or a cover, and the Kobo can change font sizes. If those are the only differences between the Touch and the Kobo, I'll save my $50. If they aren't... well, that brings me back to my hope that there are people with hands-on-experience with the Kobo in order to give us concrete information instead of unproven/undisproven speculation. By the numbers, the Kobo looks better for my use, but...
Old 05-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #26
Shecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turt99 View Post
I am the OP of this thread but since then I got myself a KOBO and my wife got a SONY, you can read my thoughts as I posted them in another thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83138

Short Version: If the upcoming firmware update for Kobo fixes some of the bigger issues, then combined with the larger screen and SD slot I believe the KOBO wins. But as of right now the Sony seems to have the "it just works" thing going for it.
And I've heard great things about the Sony Touch (specifically wanting the Touch compared, not the Pocket); plenty of happy readers out there. Anyway, has the firmware update come out yet?
Old 05-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #27
Turt99
Connoisseur

The Kobo update isn't out yet, but there is talk that it will be out this weekend, or atleast before the Kobo is launched in the states.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #28
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
Which is why I was asking if there were Canadians or Australians who've actually gotten their hands on a Kobo to compare. Beyond that, I don't need a history, a dictionary or a cover, and the Kobo can change font sizes. If those are the only differences between the Touch and the Kobo, I'll save my $50. If they aren't... well, that brings me back to my hope that there are people with hands-on-experience with the Kobo in order to give us concrete information instead of unproven/undisproven speculation. By the numbers, the Kobo looks better for my use, but...
The Sony 600 is also fast. Fast booting, true suspend, quick opening of books and quick page turns.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #29
DarthV
Enthusiast
DarthV began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
I tried out a Kobo the weekend they were released and found the demo unit to be very slow on page turns. I'm somewhat in the same boat and I'm tempted to see if the Nook lite or new Sony readers will be out this summer.
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
Actually, history is very useful. If you have an eBook that has endnotes, you'd use the history to go back to where you were reading if the eBook does not have a back link in the endnote. A good example of this is the Discworld series which has endnotes but no links to specifically go back.

The Kobo currently has issues changing font sizes when it should be able to. The 600 works.

Also, you do need a cover to protect the reader. The screen uses a glass substrate and can get damaged if you drop it. So not having a cover means you have a higher risk of breaking your reader if it was to be dropped. Also, the cover makes the reader easier to hold.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote