Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
KOBO vs Sony Ereader Pocket

This is my first post on mobile read.

I'm looking to compare the KOBO and the Ereader Pocket

KOBO:
- Has a slightly bigger screen
- Has a SD Card slot, strange that it limits 4 gig expansion but I don't think I would fill 4 gigs up ever.
- Only supports ePub well, it does PDF but most people are saying 6" is too small for that anyways
- Ugly blue button

Sony:
- Supports more formats
- Has been out for a while and seem to get good reviews
- Number buttons to allow "GO TO Page" option

Can both do the ePubs from a Library? It seems that you would be able to, but I'm not sure if this is a nod to Sony.

I'm in Canada and the KOBO will be available on Saturday for $150 and the Sony is currently on sale for $170.

This would be my first ereader, and I'm really just looking for something to read on. I don't need any bells or whistles.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Both are good, no frills readers. I think the Kobo is a little prettier and a bit more comfortable to hold in one hand. The one thing it lacks which the Sony has is the ability to group books into collections. If you just plan to load on a few books and read them straight through, either would be good but if you plan to load on a ton of books, the Sony will be better because you can organize them.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Turt99
Connoisseur

The research for this is driving me crazy, I wish the KOBO was already around because I think if it was I would just run to the store and buy it. But, since I have to wait that leaves me to think about my choices.

Plus its hard to get thoughts on a device that people haven't really used yet.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
sphinx666
sphinx666 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turt99 View Post

I'm in Canada and the KOBO will be available on Saturday for $150 and the Sony is currently on sale for $170.

This would be my first ereader, and I'm really just looking for something to read on. I don't need any bells or whistles.
I'm in the same dilema. But I thought I would let you know that you can get a $25 coupon off the Sony readers (online only) - so you can pick it up for $155 (instead of $180). If you decide on the Sony, send me a note and I'll tell you how to get the coupon if you are interested.

I have also been looking into the Pocketbook 360. It's worth the investigation.
sphinx666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turt99 View Post
Plus its hard to get thoughts on a device that people haven't really used yet.
I've used it. I had a review unit in my hands for about two weeks and posted a full review and walk-through here. What questions did you have?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
Turt99
Connoisseur

ficbot, your review is really good and really informative. But you state in it that some of the features for the software didn't seem to be finished. This probably isn't a killer, but its always interesting to get a overview from many people to see if they like the device or not.

I think you covered most of my questions in your review. It almost seems that I need to decide which one I like the looks better. KOBO is nice and clean although the blue button looks weird, and the sony looks a little cluttered in comparison.

With $25 coupon mentioned above the prices become pretty much equal.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
A less basic alternative for a little more money would be the EZ Reader Pocket Pro. I think this is the best value for the money out there currently.

Note that the Sony is using very old mobile Adobe Digital Editions software (e.g. all ePubs are left justified). The Kobo is presumably using the latest version, and the EZ Reader (Hanlin V5) is also reasonably up to date with 9 font sizes vs 3 on the PRS-300 (and its firmware is continuously improved).

The Sony and the EZ Reader can handle Adobe lending library ebooks. The Kobo probably can too. The Sony can only handle either PDF or ePub lending library ebooks at any one time, not both at once. Note that PDF versions of fiction books usually "reflow" and so work OK, although not without artifacts. There are probably still more PDF lending library ebooks than ePubs out there.

I agree about the blue button. I don't understand why Kobo does not offer other colors. Otherwise it appears to be a good basic reader at a great price.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
Turt99
Connoisseur

In some of the reviews you will see that KOBO will be available in black, I read somewhere on the Chapters site that they are aiming for it to be release before Fathers day.

The EzReader looks nice, but I think I have decided to get the KOBO. I talked to someone I know that works at chapters and they said it will be in-store on May 1st.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #9
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
I think the one thing I read in a Kobo review that would be a deal-breaker for me is that you can't type in a specific page number to jump to in a book. Normally, you don't need this feature, but if you're switching between devices (e.g. reading the same book on your read and iPod Touch), or you want to skip back a few chapters to check on a mystery clue, you *really* don't want to have to page back or forward one page at a time for 20+ pages. Otherwise, the Kobo reader looks great!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I've used it. I had a review unit in my hands for about two weeks and posted a full review and walk-through here. What questions did you have?
Question, when reading, does kobo display the total number of pages in a book? All the pictures I've seen just have pages n of m for the chapter.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
I think the one thing I read in a Kobo review that would be a deal-breaker for me is that you can't type in a specific page number to jump to in a book. Normally, you don't need this feature, but if you're switching between devices (e.g. reading the same book on your read and iPod Touch), or you want to skip back a few chapters to check on a mystery clue, you *really* don't want to have to page back or forward one page at a time for 20+ pages. Otherwise, the Kobo reader looks great!
If you are reading on different devices, chances are page 10 on one device is not the same as page 10 on the other device - especially if you are going from an ipod screen to a kobo screen.

So even if you could enter page numbers, it would be trial and error. I'd probably just use the table of contents to get me to the right chapter and then go page by page from there.

Skipping back a few chapters is no issue, just use the table of contents.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
I guess I read a lot of txt-converted files that don't have a TOC. I'll get the calculator out since Stanza gives you %'age you are through the book, and the epub files tells you how many pages are in the book. But you have a good point. If there's a TOC, then not being able to type in page numbers is not that big of a deal.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:55 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
If you are reading on different devices, chances are page 10 on one device is not the same as page 10 on the other device - especially if you are going from an ipod screen to a kobo screen.
That's not true with ePub books. All devices which use Adobe's ADE software to display ePub files (which includes the Kobo) use standard "pages" of 1500 compressed characters in the book. Page 10 on one device will, therefore, be the same as page 10 on any other ePub device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #14
foghat
Evangelist

^so how the heck does that work? I can change font sizes, which changes the number of words/characters per page, which, I would think, changes the number of pages in a book.

If I am reading an epub on my iphone with 'large' font selected, how can there be a 1:1 relationship (page # wise) if I am also reading the same book on an 8.1" display with the smallest font selected?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
HarryT forgot to mention that ADE readers display those "page" numbers along the right side (the Sony also puts them in the footer), so that's what you see. It stays constant across readers, the number of button pushes changes between "page" number changes.

It's the difference between "page" changes and screen changes.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote