Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #16
Long Con
Long Con began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks, DaleDe! I'll check back here in the future then!
Long Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #17
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Do you have a Sony PSP?
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/16/p...h-in-us-today/
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #18
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
I tried reading comics on cybook - not very useable. I have an android phone and I was surprised how convenient reading comics on a device with such small screen can be. There's at least one comic viewer I'm aware of that supports cbz and cbr natively. I think the same can be said about iphone, although I have no personal experience with it whatsoever, just what I've heard.
So until color eink liseuses make it on the market my recommendation would be either an android phone or a umpc running android os.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:49 AM   #19
Skyflyer
Skyflyer will become famous soon enoughSkyflyer will become famous soon enoughSkyflyer will become famous soon enoughSkyflyer will become famous soon enoughSkyflyer will become famous soon enoughSkyflyer will become famous soon enough

Device: iriver Story
The iriver Story can read JPG, BMP and GIF inside a Zip file. I have not tested if it recognizes .cbz files automatically but otherwise you should be able to just rename the extension of the file to make it work. I don't think it handles Rar files yet but they seem to release new firmware with new functionality once every or every two week or so. Perhaps it will be able to read Rar files in the future.
Skyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #20
isaak
Enthusiast
isaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheese

Device: kobo aura one; kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyflyer View Post
The iriver Story can read JPG, BMP and GIF inside a Zip file. I have not tested if it recognizes .cbz files automatically but otherwise you should be able to just rename the extension of the file to make it work. I don't think it handles Rar files yet but they seem to release new firmware with new functionality once every or every two week or so. Perhaps it will be able to read Rar files in the future.
I can confirm that the Iriver Story can read cbz files. In the latest firmware (1.50) you can even fine-tune via dithering setting how the images are displayed.

It is very easy (check google) to convert en masse cbr to cbz in linux and windows command line.
isaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyflyer View Post
This is the same as the Hanlin (EZ Reader, BeBook, etc) except it can also read images inside a RAR file. However, reading images is not quite the same since there are no bookmarks and it doesn't remember where you were if you exit.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #22
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Anyone tried comic books on the PSP yet? http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ow-available/1
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Anyone tried comic books on the PSP yet? http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ow-available/1
More here: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/tag/d...omics-service/
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #24
bdp
Lost in WNC
bdp began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZReader
While not the fastest solution, I've been using calibre to convert cbr & cbz into some great looking epub files for my EZ Reader. The text is much crisper and easier to read than the raw image files.
bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #25
Dipaksomak
Enthusiast
Dipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of light

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdp View Post
While not the fastest solution, I've been using calibre to convert cbr & cbz into some great looking epub files for my EZ Reader. The text is much crisper and easier to read than the raw image files.
thanks I'll try that.
Dipaksomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #26
ikan kona
ikan kona began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story
Iriver story

I updated to the 1.61 and like the reflow and really dislike the corner zoom, but from a developers point of view, I understand the problems.

Most of mine ebooks are pdf, and if I can use reflow on them it really works nice, but there are really big problems.

Problems to consider:

1. The Zoom with the four steps, should be possible to customize in settings, so I would be able to have it on medium/sec.medium/high as my own customized standard.

2. Zoom in both versions does not work in landscape mode. Why?

3. The corner Zoom has to be easier in functionality, (sorry but to 80es software engineer loves his idea)

4. When I have a book on my SD card and read in it, the Story does not save my Reflow and Zoom settings, this means that i every time I read a book from my SD card have to inter the settings once more. (sorry but that's really crappy)

5. Why does the Story not recognize any book in the book section when i only have my books on a SD card, should recognize them. (have my books on diffrent SD cards, categorized)
This means that each time re-inter another SD card it shall remember where i was in the book and what Reflow/zoom i had, otherwise it wont be real to call it an expansion possibility.

6. The Reflow display some pdf, very weird, exampled under:

Fred is fat and lives in a shel
ter while eating fish with his toes, and usually he sleeps with fresh herring under his pillow.
Unfortunate for the other resi
dents in the shelter, he is resisting any fish related arguments.

So it breaks the lines in some words, this is really not acceptable, please fix it.

7. Must agree with critics that it is cheap not to deliver a cover with the story.

8. There should be a possibility to set the story, to re-inter directly into the book you just read last time, so you dont have to g0 through the menu every time.

9. I can not bookmark pages in pdf's.

10. Recent book, should be resent books, if you are reading several at the time.
ikan kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #27
whickie
whickie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
CBR to EPUB

I bought a Sony (some small thing with buttons on the side) eBook reader a few weeks ago for straight book reading, but then felt the urge to read some comics on the thing.

Converting CBR to PDF (or Word) was kind of a pain. CBRs are scanned and sometimes the contrast isn't very good so they're hard to read. In addition, page borders and margins make the images smaller than they need to be.

For that reason I wrote a program to convert CBR in to EPUB, and it processes the images so that they look better on an eBook reader. It's all automatic.

It's open source and totally free. If anyone wants it you can find it here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/comictoepub/

Will
whickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #28
denclock
denclock began at the beginning.

Device: Libre Pro/ Jetbook, 9" Pandigital Novel
Thanks whickie I will give it a try
denclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #29
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
I would suggest buying a Pandigital Novel and hacking it (very easy to do!).

See my response in this thread concerning this option for comics:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92560
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #30
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by whickie View Post
For that reason I wrote a program to convert CBR in to EPUB, and it processes the images so that they look better on an eBook reader. It's all automatic.

It's open source and totally free. If anyone wants it you can find it here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/comictoepub/

Will
I used Will's program to convert some CBR and CBZ files to EPUB format and read them on my Augen TB. It worked well, even considering the tall and narrow (800 x 480) display format on the TB.

The previous poster talking about the CBR and CBZ formats was correct:
Both formats are a series of JPG images compressed using the RAR (CBR) or ZIP (CBZ) format. Renaming CBR files with a .RAR extension, or CBZ to a .ZIP extension allows them to be opened using standard RAR or ZIP programs.
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote