Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-18-2022, 01:54 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Libra 2 works much better with Calibre. The integration with Calibre is excellent.

The Kindle with Calibre so-so. The integration is very poor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:52 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post
Something useful for anyone deciding between these: Both the Paperwhite 5 and the Libra 2 have 512MB of RAM. I've seen various online articles say the PW5 had 1GB but can't confirm in my hand that it doesn't, only 512MB. I think Wikipedia say 1GB as well, but they're notorious already.
I don't remember so much hearing about the difference in RAM. I do remember hearing about the faster processor.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2022, 11:13 PM   #18
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
If you buy from Amazon, get the Kindle. If not, get the Kobo.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:01 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
DeDRM is your friend.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:45 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I buy from Amazon and use a Kobo, But I will admit that I enjoy organizing my Calibre library as a hobby aside from reading. That may not be for everyone.

If I had a friend (in the US) that was buying their first reader, I'd recommend the Kindle. I just assume everyone uses Amazon and Kindle is the 800 lb gorilla.
Advert
Old 06-20-2022, 10:08 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I buy from Amazon and use a Kobo, But I will admit that I enjoy organizing my Calibre library as a hobby aside from reading. That may not be for everyone.

If I had a friend (in the US) that was buying their first reader, I'd recommend the Kindle. I just assume everyone uses Amazon and Kindle is the 800 lb gorilla.
I was going to get my mother a Kobo to replace her T1 (Sony). But she passed away before then.

If I had a friend who was looking for a first Reader, I'd suggest Kobo and help that person setup DeDRM, ADE, and Kindle.
Old 06-20-2022, 10:39 AM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I had a friend who was looking for a first Reader, I'd suggest Kobo and help that person setup DeDRM, ADE, and Kindle.
And you would be free IT for that friend forever. And the instant they hear about some Kindle feature (Goodreads integration) that friend would think 'why did he talk me into a Kobo?'

You just have to accept that some people don't want to spend as much time tinkering as you and I do. Most people want to use their reader out of the box, as designed.

Having said that, I think Kobo gives a perfectly fine experience out of the box, without Calibre. Public library access is better than on the Kindle. It is a perfectly valid competitor.

The reason I would recommend Kindle (in the US) is because the new Paperwhite 5 is really nice and Kindle is just the defacto reader in the US. It outclasses the Clara and is cheaper than the Libra. The connection to Goodreads and Kindle Unlimited, while not important features to me, may very well be to a generic user. Library access is almost as good as on a Kobo.

Kindle has lots of downsides. Collections suck. Amazon randomly changes covers on books, the ads, etc. But the average user likely won't notice or care.

If buying a reader for myself or my partner where I am going to be in control of both devices, I would buy Kobo.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-20-2022 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:06 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
And you would be free IT for that friend forever. And the instant they hear about some Kindle feature (Goodreads integration) that friend would think 'why did he talk me into a Kobo?'

You just have to accept that some people don't want to spend as much time tinkering as you and I do. Most people want to use their reader out of the box, as designed.

Having said that, I think Kobo gives a perfectly fine experience out of the box, without Calibre. Public library access is better than on the Kindle. It is a perfectly valid competitor.

The reason I would recommend Kindle (in the US) is because the new Paperwhite 5 is really nice and Kindle is just the defacto reader in the US. It outclasses the Clara and is cheaper than the Libra. The connection to Goodreads and Kindle Unlimited, while not important features to me, may very well be to a generic user. Library access is almost as good as on a Kobo.

Kindle has lots of downsides. Collections suck. Amazon randomly changes covers on books, the ads, etc. But the average user likely won't notice or care.

If buying a reader for myself or my partner where I am going to be in control of both devices, I would buy Kobo.
There are a number of people on MR complaining that they really dislike the newest firmware for the Kindle. I've not tried it so I cannot say. But given that, I would say no to the Kindle. I would not want to recommend something to someone that he/she may not like.

I've never found I was missing Goodreads integration. But for organizing your eBooks, Kindle just cannot do it well at all. Kobo does it so much better.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:45 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
There are a number of people on MR complaining that they really dislike the newest firmware for the Kindle. I've not tried it so I cannot say.
The new firmware does seem to have turned the home screen into an endless scroll of ads... I mean 'recommendations'.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:48 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The new firmware does seem to have turned the home screen into an endless scroll of ads... I mean 'recommendations'.
That's not good. No wonder others don't like it. Would you want to foist that onto an unsuspecting newbie?
Old 06-20-2022, 02:28 PM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
That's not good. No wonder others don't like it. Would you want to foist that onto an unsuspecting newbie?
An unsuspecting newbie wouldn't know it should be any different.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:41 PM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
And imagine how a Kobo noob would react to “Kobo’s gonna Kobo”!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:56 PM   #28
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
For me it's the ease of organizing books. I don't even really have to do much with metadata on the Kobo. It automatically organizes books by author, which is the extent to which I want to organize books in Calibre.

I was working with jailbreaked PW2 before, and even with the JB and the tools developed by the community, it was a pain. The Kobo is so easy afterwards.

Also I was very impressed by the Libra 2. Nice screen, nice very orange light, presumably a great battery life. My only doubt is the crashes. I'll have to see how that goes. I may need to downgrade firmware.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:05 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I would. And if I am giving support, then no way.
Old 06-20-2022, 10:27 PM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
And that's what everyone here forgets: We are not average users. We care about things that most users do not care about these things. Most users are just reading a book and then forgetting about it. They are buying the books from whichever company is attached to their device and that's about it. They don't care much about collections because they probably don't have enough books. The covers don't matter because Amazon is supplying them. The "ads" are expected because everything else shows ads.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote