Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
tomul
tomul began at the beginning.

Device: none
MAX 2 versus MAX 2 Pro

Hi,

I am about to buy me a MAX 2. Now I have seen the PRO Version with 4GB RAM.

Has anyone compared these two MAXes regarding speed? I think 4GB RAM should speed up everything a lot. If not, let me know...

Thank you for help!

tom
tomul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:38 AM   #2
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Hello, I first purchased Max 2 (2 GB RAM) version and then swapped it for max 2 Pro (4 GB RAM). I definitely saw a significant improvement in speed and I am glad I bought the Max 2 Pro with the additional RAM. I can use Word without any issues, and I also watch Netflix, Amazon Prime and youtube videos (I prefer the black and white screen). I have never had the apps stop working.
Obviously the additional RAM is not going to be significant if it is only being used as an ereader (Notes app, reading apps).
I use the following apps natively run on Android on Max 2 Pro: Microsoft Onedrive, Microsoft Office 365 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Artrage, Autodesk Sketchbook, Duolingo, Babbel, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, Daily Motion, Coursera, Udemy etc.
It works fine no issues.
I have some issues with Nebo (handwriting app). Its a bit slow but still usable for me.
I also use Max 2 Pro in the monitor mode with my Macbook Pro late 2013 retina version, I clip my Max 2 Pro with some protective padding on the screen in extended mode (but use it as the main screen). I found noticeable differences in how Max 2 (2GB RAM) and Max 2 Pro (4GB RAM) performed in the monitor mode, but many people doubt my observation. But that's what I experienced. There were probably many factors contributing to this. It could have been differences in the firmware I am not sure, but I am happy with my Max 2 Pro (with the additional RAM) particularly in the monitor mode.
I did struggle with Max 2 (2 GB RAM) version and found it a bit slow for my needs (detailed above). I try not to use any other screens (apart from my Max 2 Pro) as I suffer from headaches and eye strain using LCD screens. So it really depends on what your requirements and what your expectations are. I don't regret spending a bit extra for the Max 2 Pro because it is my daily driver and my main device.
The only complaint I have is I wish that I could open two apps side by side on the screen (for example word documents or a pdf and a word document)... but this is down to the firmware/software issues...

Last edited by Faeryink; 01-07-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2019, 02:29 AM   #3
tomul
tomul began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello Faeryink,

thank you for this detailed review! I ordered my MIX 2 PRO and I am very excited about it.

It will mainly work as a sheet-music-organizer for piano and choire-sheets with mobilesheetspro from zubersoft. Until now, I used this app on a 10 inch Android-Tablet, but notetaking was a mess and the brightly luminous display was illuminating my face during concert, what looked somehow creepy... ;-)

Last edited by tomul; 01-08-2019 at 02:32 AM.
tomul is offline   Reply With Quote