Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-03-2014, 05:54 AM   #121
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I don't get that comment Harry.
The publisher has the choice of whether or not a book that Amazon sells has DRM. I'm afraid I don't know how to express it any more simply than that.

Quote:
If I buy a Dreamspinner book from Amazon it has DRM, if I buy it from Dreamspinner or AllRomance it doesn't, so how did the DRM get there?
The publisher has chosen to have Amazon sell the book with DRM.

Quote:
Aren't all Amazon books DRM'd
Good Heavens, no.

Quote:
how can I tell the ones that aren't and convert them to ePub?
Personally, I neither know nor care whether or not a book has DRM, because "the plugin that must not be named" transparently removes it as I add the book to my Calibre library. I believe, however, that if a book displays "Usage count: Unlimited", it indicates that the book doesn't have DRM.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-03-2014 at 06:01 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:54 AM   #122
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Thanks for the info Harry. When all is said and done I won't risk buying from Amazon while i can get a guarenteed DRM free book, in mobi and epub, elsewhere.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2014, 07:12 AM   #123
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Thanks for the info Harry. When all is said and done I won't risk buying from Amazon while i can get a guarenteed DRM free book, in mobi and epub, elsewhere.
Just checked a random book from dreamspinner, and on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinds-Tied-D.../dp/B00LILB7F2

Product details

Format: Kindle Edition
File Size: 1092 KB
Print Length: 282 pages
Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press; 1 edition (3 July 2014)
Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
Language: English
ASIN: B00LILB7F2
Text-to-Speech: Enabled
X-Ray: Not Enabled

It's no risk for you as long as you check for that "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" line in the product details. The book is guaranteed to be DRM free if it's there. When a book has DRM, there is no mention of Simultaneous Device Usage in the product details, that line is conspicuous by its complete absence!

Though if you are happy buying direct from the publisher sites, no reason for you to change.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 08-03-2014 at 07:14 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #124
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Just checked a random book from dreamspinner, and on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinds-Tied-D.../dp/B00LILB7F2

Product details

Format: Kindle Edition
File Size: 1092 KB
Print Length: 282 pages
Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press; 1 edition (3 July 2014)
Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
Language: English
ASIN: B00LILB7F2
Text-to-Speech: Enabled
X-Ray: Not Enabled

It's no risk for you as long as you check for that "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" line in the product details. The book is guaranteed to be DRM free if it's there. When a book has DRM, there is no mention of Simultaneous Device Usage in the product details, that line is conspicuous by its complete absence!

Though if you are happy buying direct from the publisher sites, no reason for you to change.

Thank you Soulfuldog, that's very kind of you, and it's all useful to know. I've got that book to read
Old 08-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #125
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Josie - I've checked half a dozen Amazon books published by Dreamspinner, and none of them has DRM. What leads you to believe that they do?
Advert
Old 08-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #126
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Josie - I've checked half a dozen Amazon books published by Dreamspinner, and none of them has DRM. What leads you to believe that they do?
I assumed all Amazon books did. I never tried to convert an AZW to any other another format. I didn't even know you could without Calibre's extra software.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #127
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I assumed all Amazon books did. I never tried to convert an AZW to any other another format. I didn't even know you could without Calibre's extra software.
Certainly you can. Why not download a free book from Amazon and try it out?
Old 08-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #128
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Certainly you can. Why not download a free book from Amazon and try it out?
To be honest I don't reallly need or want to try it out as I am happy with my existing purchasing relationships. I know for a fact that the author gets a higher level of return if I buy from the publisher rather than Amazon.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:00 AM   #129
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Josieb1 Do what you are comfortable doing. If you prefer to shop the indies for whatever reason then go for it. At least now you know what to look for on Amazon so that you have an additional option available to you.

I do believe that Harry's suggestion is a good one, mainly so that you feel comfortable with the process if there is a day where you decide to buy from Amazon for whatever reason. Or just wait until that day and the folks here will help you out if you need it.

Above all, enjoy reading your books how ever you decide to purchase them
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote