Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
rvbowman
rvbowman began at the beginning.

Device: nook hd+
Windows 8 file length limitation

Has anyone come up with a work around for Windows 8 File length limitation,
I like to add a short description in front of a series title so when I add a few of this series to my nook I know which order to read them in. But with Windows 8 is seems that more of the title is missing from the file name than there was with XP that I just switched from.
Thanks
rvbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Don't change how the files are stored in the calibre library. Instead use a plugboard and the send to device template to change how the book is stored on your device. That way the Windows file length limit is irrelevant.

Don't copy the books from inside the calibre library. Instead use the send to device or save to disk features. That way you get to control exactly how to name the book, using the template language, and may also update metadata on the fly using a plugboard.

Last edited by Adoby; 09-10-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbowman View Post
Has anyone come up with a work around for Windows 8 File length limitation, I like to add a short description in front of a series title so when I add a few of this series to my nook I know which order to read them in. But with Windows 8 is seems that more of the title is missing from the file name than there was with XP that I just switched from.
The solution is as Adoby indicates leave the title field alone and use the metadata plugboards to insert the series info into either the Title or Author fields on the fly as the book is sent to the device. There is a sticky post with examples at the top of this forum called Techniques to use plugboards, custom columns and templates.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
rvbowman
rvbowman began at the beginning.

Device: nook hd+
Thanks for the info....I tried the metadata plugin with out any luck.
I then found a section where I could config my device when it was hooked up.
It let me change the metadata there. I added the series, series index and title and it saved to my device that way...works great.....I've start updating all my books to remove the extra info in front of the name I gave it....gonna take a while.....thanks for the help
rvbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thanks for the info....I tried the metadata plugin with out any luck.
I'm glad you worked it out, but I said to use the Metadata Plugboard not metadata plugin. The Metadata Plugboard is the only way to alter metadata sent to your device one the fly without deforming any of the info in your calibre library columns.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
Has anyone come up with a work around for Windows 8 File length limitation [... snip]
The approx 250 character limit for paths & filenames in Windows (any version which runs the FAT or NTFS file system, not just Win8) has not been corrected, patched, or "worked around" at this time that I know of.

The only way to completely avoid the problem, entirely, is to uninstall Windows and obtain another operating system (OS). Obviously, this is not a viable alternative for most users.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
file name, length, win 8, win8, windows 8