Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
federico.massimi
federico.massimi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best ebook reader for pdf files.

Hi, I'm going to buy an e-book reader. I am very undecided. To me it is primarily a product for reading PDF files (including formulas, graphs, drawings and complex layout) and possibly Office 2013 documents. I know that for all models exist converters, but which is the best in this direction? remaining at a price around 100 €.
federico.massimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
faltradl
Guru
faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch
my opinion: forget ist
faltradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
No e-ink reader is very good at reading PDF files, except the extra-large ones, because most PDF files are formatted for 8.5 x 11 or A4 page sizes. You probably need a tablet instead.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
What they said.
Best e-ink reader for PDFs is probably the Kindle DX, or another of the larger-screen readers. They're overpriced compared to the rest of the market, and they're not actively *good* at dealing with PDFs.

A tablet--with screen size as a priority--is best for PDFs. Absolutely nothing in the dedicated ereader market is good for PDFs, because PDFs are a page-based medium, and ebook readers are designed for scrolling formats.

There is no way to make a letter-sized page's contents look good on a ~5"x4" screen. And converting the letter-sized page's contents to a different layout--reflowing, which Sony does moderately well--depends on how the PDF was created, not how good the reflow software is.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by federico.massimi View Post
Hi, I'm going to buy an e-book reader. I am very undecided. To me it is primarily a product for reading PDF files (including formulas, graphs, drawings and complex layout) and possibly Office 2013 documents. I know that for all models exist converters, but which is the best in this direction? remaining at a price around 100 €.
Used Kindle dx (white) can usually be found for that amount.

Install kindlepdfviewer thereon and you've got yourself a very good pdf reader with all necessary zooming/cropping options, highlighting, gamma correction, night mode, folder management etc.

It also reads epub, cbz(zip-ed jpegs), djvu, html !!! so there is usually no need for a conversion of any kind but cbr to cbz (or pdf for cbr-ed bitmaps) that can be easily done in a minute for an average comic using app like winrar for windows.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=12

Last edited by markom; 09-13-2013 at 05:46 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
sheygetz
Connoisseur
sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.

Device: KPW G2 , 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by federico.massimi View Post
To me it is primarily a product for reading PDF files ...
No.
It is not.
Not for you or anybody else.
It is a product for reading ebooks.
PDF aren not ebooks.

[I want to buy a car, I'm undecided. To me it is primarily a product to sail the seven seas/ fly to the moon/bake double-crust pies. See what I mean?]

Buy a tablet. That is product which is meant to be different things to different people. And it does PDFs well.

Hendrik
sheygetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheygetz View Post
No.
It is not.
Not for you or anybody else.
It is a product for reading ebooks.
PDF aren not ebooks.

[I want to buy a car, I'm undecided. To me it is primarily a product to sail the seven seas/ fly to the moon/bake double-crust pies. See what I mean?]

Buy a tablet. That is product which is meant to be different things to different people. And it does PDFs well.

Hendrik
It takes quite a lot of car upgrading to sail the seven seas but it takes just a couple of minutes to upgrade Kindle dx to a very good and relatively cheap pdf reader with kindlepdfviewer.

By reading I mean just plain reading, fast enough reading of A4 format comparable to reading a paper book.

Tablets allow for handwriting or much faster or smoother handwriting in comparison to current 10" e-ink readers like Onyx with that capability and when I need that or color recognition I use tablet simultaneously while reading on Kindle dx or paper&pencil.

I don't mind reading pdfs for hours on LCD though, because for me it is iPad or netbook 75% of the time indoors (at low brightness + ultra anti-glare) and e-ink 75% outdoors.

Last edited by markom; 09-14-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Pismire
Small God, also Turtle.
Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Have a look at the Nook HD+, a budget solution for tablets.
Pismire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #9
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Wait until Sony release the following gadget. 13.3" Far better than Kindle DX. Kindle DX is overpriced and old both in term of software and hardware.

Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I'm a researcher and go through lots of pdf files every week, and I'd definitely recommend a tablet over e-ink. I love e-ink, but it's just not the best tool available for working with pdfs.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I'm still interested in answering the original question.

_IF_ one were buying a 6" eInk reading device for reading PDFs (even after everyone has tried to talk one out of it), what device would people recommend?

I've only tried Kindle (Touch and Paperwhite) and Sony PRS-T1 (I assume later models are about the same). Sony is a little better, because you can do on device cropping (manual or auto) and settings stick with the document (different PDFs may require different optimizations). On Kindle settings are global and there is only auto cropping of whitespace. Also Sony allows for use of stylus to mark up documents and has PDF reflow.

I suspect Kobo's support is more basic.

Nook STR PDF support is not very good. No landscape viewing, no PDF bookmark or link support.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-15-2013 at 01:20 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #12
markom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I'm still interested in answering the original question.

_IF_ one were buying a 6" eInk reading device for reading PDFs (even after everyone has tried to talk one out of it), what device would people recommend?

My recommendation is not for a particular device but for additional software after rooting.

For Kindles it is kindlepdfviewer(KOReader)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PauN_9O4dM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5bH8T2QiFE

and for Sony PRS/Nook ST it is some good android pdf reader like Orion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayAcdHuI5hwn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWBcvWuWw_w

Those who don't want to root their readers should use k2pdfopt to adjust pdfs beforehand on their PCs before transferring them to e-ink.

For A5 pdf we should just use landscape mode (cropped margins) and for A4 pdfs (both scans and textual) reflow function in k2pdfopt.

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/

Last edited by markom; 09-16-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:07 AM   #13
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
_IF_ one were buying a 6" eInk reading device for reading PDFs (even after everyone has tried to talk one out of it), what device would people recommend?.
You could look at ONYX i62. There is many options to use the PDF : zoom, multicolumn mode, etc.
The ONYX M92 has the same options. There is a comparison between i62 and M92 for the same page of document, somewhere in this thread I believe - I put a picture.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:58 AM   #14
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
I've found the page : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...92#post2561089
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #15
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:

I've only tried Kindle (Touch and Paperwhite) and Sony PRS-T1 (I assume later models are about the same). Sony is a little better, because you can do on device cropping (manual or auto) and settings stick with the document (different PDFs may require different optimizations).
Sony eReaders also provide a reflow mode for PDFs: it has its limitations, (e.g. page header/footers can look a bit messy), but it does help, especially with text-based PDFs.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote