Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 03:34 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Collections are like folders, but not nested folders. Kindles don't currently supported nested collections.
Collections are tags, not folders. The fundamental difference is that you can put as many tags as you want on a file, but there's still only one copy of it on your reader. Thus, you could tag Isaac Asimov's "The Caves of Steel" as a detective story, as Science Fiction, and as being written by Asimov, and it would show up in all three collections, but would still only be on your disk once. In that respect, collections are a lot more flexible than folders.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Collections are tags, not folders. The fundamental difference is that you can put as many tags as you want on a file, but there's still only one copy of it on your reader. Thus, you could tag Isaac Asimov's "The Caves of Steel" as a detective story, as Science Fiction, and as being written by Asimov, and it would show up in all three collections, but would still only be on your disk once. In that respect, collections are a lot more flexible than folders.
You are certainly technically correct, Harry. I knew as I was posting it that someone would correct me, but I was trying to answer the intent of the OP. What I wanted to make clear was that there is no sense of hierarchal structure, but I probably should have added additional detail that they are tags.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #18
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
My point was that however it functions from a technical standpoint, it lets one group the books, and there is no function which does this on the Kobo. So, I could have menu items for mystery, sci-fi, romance etc. and have all my books sorted, rather than having to scroll through a hundred screens of them.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #19
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
My point was that however it functions from a technical standpoint, it lets one group the books, and there is no function which does this on the Kobo. So, I could have menu items for mystery, sci-fi, romance etc. and have all my books sorted, rather than having to scroll through a hundred screens of them.
Correct, and what I was getting at. But Harry makes an important point - because collections are tags, your books can be in multiple collections. Personally, I use this to keep a "ToBeRead" collection of current books, along with my more general "Mystery", "SFGeneral", "Liaden", etc., collections. New books go into their main collection, and the ToBeRead collection at the same time. When I've finished reading, they get removed from the ToBeRead, but not usually from the main collection.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:39 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
You are certainly technically correct, Harry. I knew as I was posting it that someone would correct me, but I was trying to answer the intent of the OP. What I wanted to make clear was that there is no sense of hierarchal structure, but I probably should have added additional detail that they are tags.
Sorry - I wasn't criticising your post; just providing additional information about what the difference was, and WHY there is no hierarchical structure.
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #21
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I didn't think you were, Harry. No issues here.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #22
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
The Sony readers also have collections so I think a good fit for Canadians. I love mine and just got the T1 for my mom.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #23
LarpSarpLo
LarpSarpLo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch and Kindle Touch
I have both Kindle Touch and Kobo Touch. Tried both and I prefer the Kobo Touch personally. Display quality is very close. Some pros and cons based on my personal preferences:

Kindle:
pros- longer battery life (approx. 2 months), audio capable, better response on touch screen, multi-touch for changing size, better dictionary

cons- heavier, limited fonts, no epub support, I find the user interface is less friendly and fewer choices (e.g. must go to home for settings, fixed refresh page, no page number, need a few clicks to "go to" a page, cannot set power save option, limited spacing option (3 only)

Kobo:
pros- lighter, supports epub, slightly faster in page turn, user friendly interface (e.g. setup menu bar is available on any screen, "slide to page" bar, can import fonts, easy one touch bookmark, option to set from 1 - 6 page refresh rate, option set set sleep/power off time, slide bars to change line spacing, margins, justifications)

cons- shorter battery life (approx. 1 month), no audio, sometimes requires multiple taps to turn page, must have book cover (since the home page shows only 5 books with covers, if your book doesn't have it, you can't tell which book is which)

I mainly read epub books from free sources or library, so any options related to the bookstore side are not needed by me and don't do me any good. I find Kobo is more useful in customizing the screen and most important it supports epub. Lighter is also a factor since it's quite noticeable after long reading.
LarpSarpLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarpSarpLo View Post
Kobo:
pros- lighter, supports epub, slightly faster in page turn, user friendly interface (e.g. setup menu bar is available on any screen, "slide to page" bar, can import fonts, easy one touch bookmark,
For the sake of accuracy, note that the Kindle also has one-touch bookmarking. Just tap the upper right corner of a page to set a bookmark (the corner "folds down" as a visual indication there's a bookmark set); tap again to unset it.