Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #46
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
There is much more to take into consideration when buying an eink reader than the device itself and it's hardware. A few examples: the company's online bookstore and on going support. Just on those two aspects and for USA, I think Amazon is way much better than B&N.

Having said that, I like the new Nook Touch but I won't buy it just because it's nice or touchscreen. It lacks of very important reading features like better PDF support and landscape mode. There are customers who needs those two and because this is a reader, not a tablet, not having those will directly impact the reading experience of users with PDF collections, IT books (programming books) or people who just enjoy poetry (landscape is needed on some cases)

I think that if someone is not interested on reading PDFs, poetry or programming books, Nook Touch is an interesting choice. But overall, even without touchscreen, Kindle 3 is still a great eink reader, backed up by a company who is stronger financially than B&N and with an awesome customer support department.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #47
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
There is much more to take into consideration when buying an eink reader than the device itself and it's hardware. A few examples: the company's online bookstore and on going support. Just on those two aspects and for USA, I think Amazon is way much better than B&N.

Having said that, I like the new Nook Touch but I won't buy it just because it's nice or touchscreen. It lacks of very important reading features like better PDF support and landscape mode. There are customers who needs those two and because this is a reader, not a tablet, not having those will directly impact the reading experience of users with PDF collections, IT books (programming books) or people who just enjoy poetry (landscape is needed on some cases)

I think that if someone is not interested on reading PDFs, poetry or programming books, Nook Touch is an interesting choice. But overall, even without touchscreen, Kindle 3 is still a great eink reader, backed up by a company who is stronger financially than B&N and with an awesome customer support department.
I disagree, I think the device itself should be the main selling point. It is easy enough to convert between formats, so if your device supports EPUB or MOBI, you are set. Whether Amazon or B&N are financially stronger should be irrelevant, you are not forced to buy from B&N if you have a nook device, you can buy from any other EPUB vendors, or even Amazon, if you're willing to convert formats.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #48
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by dax123 View Post
Well I'm 43, a gadget freak and have a Sony prs 650 (and also own a prs 600)with Touch screen, not to mention I also own a iPhone 3gs and recently bought a kindle 3 and right now I prefer my kindle over my sony prs 650. The screen of the kindle is imo much brighter/whiter, the print is much more dark and sharp and the font is much nicer to read then the standard font of the Sony. Also the font sizes are much better then those of the Sony PRS 650. On the 650 they're either too small or too big with some books.

Sure I love touch screen, but I found that the kindle 3 is pretty easy to navigate even without touch screen, so I don't really miss it.

I will keep my Sony prs 650 to see how my reading habit will develop and I myself will be curious to see where I'll end up..using both when needed or switch to Kindle all the way.

I can't say anything about the Nook since I don't have one and don't plan to get one either. Can't buy at B&N so no use for me to get a Nook.
Hi dax! That's quite interesting for me to read. A few months ago I was really drooling over Sony 650. Luckily (in a way) it was not available here in Belgium at the time. Anyway one time I went to Sony shop to test the 650 and I was shocked when I compared the vizplex screen of my Opus next to the 650. 650 was darker, shock, horror! Yes I DID fiddle in the shop with lightness and contrast but couldn't arrive at any satisfying result. Plus the small font was too small and the medium too big. Plus - which tipped the scale for me was that it won't display my language without a hack. Combined with a high price that turned out to be just too costly and too useless to get, sadly though. I really like the Sony but for me it is useless

I start to become a gadget freak as well. Lately I am debating a Kindle 3G. I just got bored with my faithful little Opus (I hope he's not listening right now) and want a new toy. Kindle apparently displays my language, has 3G which is very tempting for me and since I have ePub allowing Opus I would have the best of both worlds. I've been lurking here at MR reading what people think of the Kindle. So what you wrote is interesting for me, thanks!

Btw I don't want Kindle tablet. I won't make it to wait patiently without buying a new toy for Kindle 4 if it comes at all (haven't heard) and I only want eink. Besides for European customers it may not be immediately available either. For sofa surfing I have ipad which I don't read books on as it's too heavy to fall on my nose when I doze off while reading...
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #49
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Whether Amazon or B&N are financially stronger should be irrelevant
ereaders are not for ever, not like a physical/paper book, but if I buy one, I tend to be inclined to get a device that is being sold by a solid company, like Sony or Amazon, or even Apple if we're talking about tablets. It gives me the tranquility of enjoying a device for a few years without being worried about unexpected issues with customer support or the online bookstore itself.

Last edited by jocampo; 06-14-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Fixing some typos
Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #50
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
Also, no fingerprints on the screen with k3.
Turning the lack of touch-screen into a feature is not going to fly with most users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
For instance, on their website, Barnes and Noble flat out and unequivocally says that the Nook Touch does not have a web browser. Should we not trust the word of the seller? Do you really want to buy stuff from a company that blatantly lies to you?
That's an absurd statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Anyway one time I went to Sony shop to test the 650 and I was shocked when I compared the vizplex screen of my Opus next to the 650. 650 was darker, shock, horror!
I got an Opus and a 650 sitting next to eachother. The 650 screen is whiter where I'm sitting.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #51
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Turning the lack of touch-screen into a feature is not going to fly with most users.
A poll here shows it is indeed an important factor for some.

I'm curious to get my handle on the new nook. Ergonomically, it's looks promising.

I wouldn't MIND having a touchscreen, but without a web browser at least as functional as the Kindles, there's not much I look forward to it for, except games. Does the new nook have games?

You can call the Kindles navigation buttons 'dated' or what have you, but they work just fine, and better in some cases than any touch screen for me and many others.

The Kindle nav buttons are imperfect but so is every touch UI I've tried.

Unless the touch interface works better for me than the Kindle, I personally would have no reason to get one.

Even as a just an additional ereader in the gadget collection, I think I'd probably wait and see what else comes out, be it a new firmware for the new nook or other new devices.

Last edited by ApK; 06-14-2011 at 10:13 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:58 PM   #52
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I am curious--and I'm not anti-Nook! I really like the new Nook's touch screen--I'm curious though as to why they would say "no browser" so explicitly, but then include one. The "no browser" comment was one of the key reasons I was not going to get a new Nook. But now, maybe so...(don't tell my wife, I have to ease her into the idea. )
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #53
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
I am curious--and I'm not anti-Nook! I really like the new Nook's touch screen--I'm curious though as to why they would say "no browser" so explicitly, but then include one. The "no browser" comment was one of the key reasons I was not going to get a new Nook. But now, maybe so...(don't tell my wife, I have to ease her into the idea. )
I'm only speculating here, but the browser is an inherent part of Android, and I guess B&N didn't go to the effort of removing it. They probably didn't do any work to optimize it for eInk, and to keep things simple, decided not to make one available to the user. The fact that you can launch it by the search feature is probably an oversight.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #54
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
A poll here shows it is indeed an important factor for some.

I'm curious to get my handle on the new nook. Ergonomically, it's looks promising.

I wouldn't MIND having a touchscreen, but without a web browser at least as functional as the Kindles, there's not much I look forward to it for, except games. Does the new nook have games?

You can call the Kindles navigation buttons 'dated' or what have you, but they work just fine, and better in some cases than any touch screen for me and many others.

The Kindle nav buttons are imperfect but so is every touch UI I've tried.

Unless the touch interface works better for me than the Kindle, I personally would have no reason to get one.

Even as a just an additional ereader in the gadget collection, I think I'd probably wait and see what else comes out, be it a new firmware for the new nook or other new devices.
Ergonomically, it holds and feels nice, but that's very subjective matter. It depends of your hands and what your idea of comfort really is. My wife, for example, found it too small and light.

Nook Touch was rooted but using it as a game player is an aberration to me. Current eink displays have not been designed for high refresh rates required for games. So playing Angry Birds is horrible with a very slow refresh rate and painful game experience. I see no reason why someone could find it nice as pseudo eink tablet.

As a side note, I want and like dedicated ereaders, I don't want an eink reader for games. That's why I have my tablets.

Last edited by jocampo; 06-14-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:05 AM   #55
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
well if you think about it it has to have some form of a browser to link up to it's bookstore and the facebook and twitter features.

They didn't say a web browser simply because it doesn't offer a full functioning browser.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #56
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Current eink displays have not been designed for high refresh rates required for games. So playing Angry Birds is horrible with a very slow refresh rate and painful game experience. I see no reason why someone could find it nice as pseudo eink tablet.
Chess and the various word games I play on the Kindle and the Sony require very little refresh, and work just fine. Chess is better with the touch screen, and I'm sure others would be too.

Quote:
As a side note, I want and like dedicated ereaders, I don't want an eink reader for games.
Yeah, and I feel guity about about playing sometimes when I could be reading. But I get over it.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:14 AM   #57
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
well if you think about it it has to have some form of a browser to link up to it's bookstore and the facebook and twitter features.
No it doesn't. It only has to have apps that do just those things.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:13 AM   #58
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
No it doesn't. It only has to have apps that do just those things.
That's what I'm thinking--saying, "It connects" doesn't equal "It has a browser, just stripped down." (That's like saying, "My dumbphone has a browser, but only to get the time from the satellites.")

It does have a browser though: http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/09/w...equired-video/

The problem--and the confusing aspect--is that they say, "It doesn't." Why do that? Probably because, as the video shows, it doesn't work very well, and it doesn't download from sites like MobileRead.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:33 AM   #59
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
That's what I'm thinking--saying, "It connects" doesn't equal "It has a browser, just stripped down." (That's like saying, "My dumbphone has a browser, but only to get the time from the satellites.")

It does have a browser though: http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/09/w...equired-video/

The problem--and the confusing aspect--is that they say, "It doesn't." Why do that? Probably because, as the video shows, it doesn't work very well, and it doesn't download from sites like MobileRead.
I played with the browser a little at B&N yesterday. It really does not work, period, just forget that it exists until or unless they fix it. Even for a simple site like Wikipedia, I could not scroll the page more than a half screen or so. No scroll bars if I remember correctly, various swipes and touches had little effect. Maybe if the page renders in 600x800 you can do something. It's a proof of concept at most right now.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #60
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I disagree, I think the device itself should be the main selling point. It is easy enough to convert between formats, so if your device supports EPUB or MOBI, you are set. Whether Amazon or B&N are financially stronger should be irrelevant, you are not forced to buy from B&N if you have a nook device, you can buy from any other EPUB vendors, or even Amazon, if you're willing to convert formats.
Yeah, and remove DRM illegally.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote