Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #16
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I know how to deal with DRM so the format means nothing to me. It is a personal choice and I respect those who chose not to remove the DRM. I refuse to let that get in the way of my choosing an e-reader that works best for me.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:51 AM   #17
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
One thing that is wrong in the video is the part about the nook and web browsing. The nook does have a web browser.
Can you direct me to the information that shows that this is true--I keep hearing conflicting reports. If it has a web-browser, than I'm much more interested in picking up a Nook Touch.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 02:01 AM   #18
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Scratch that--found the answer here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...?cds2Pid=35611

Question 10: "Can I ... browse the web..."
Answer: "No."
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:08 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The nook touch does have a web browser:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138363
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:51 AM   #20
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
It doesn't technically have a browser. It has browser remnants, but B&N will not admit to one since it has not been built, optimized or made to run properly.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #21
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
^^^ Agreed. A browser may technically be there, but there are so many problems with it that it is practically unusable.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:39 AM   #22
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
An advantage not listed is that the kindle allows you to search for words or phrases within a book
It isn't possible in nook touch?

Thanks for that info, now I'm sure that don't change my k3 for this nook.

This feature is essential for me.

Thanks!!
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #23
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post

Thanks!!
No its not true. Just more misinformation from kindle owners. Seems to be SOP as of late.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #24
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Or it is a new feature that people are not yet aware of.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #25
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Or it is a new feature that people are not yet aware of.
if you aren't aware of the features then why would someone post it as feature it doesn't have?

bottom line don't post advantages and disadvantages of products if you aren't familliar of each products features.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #26
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Then

Is possible in nook touch search for words or phrases within a book?, is important for me for example to search for name of character to remember who is...

thans for your attention
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #27
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Then

Is possible in nook touch search for words or phrases within a book?, is important for me for example to search for name of character to remember who is...

thans for your attention
yes it is.

Reading Tools: find
Tap on the find icon in the Reading Tools to search for a word or phrase in the book you’re reading.
When you tap on find, a keyboard appears on the screen. Type a word or phrase you want to search for in the book, then tap the search button in the lower right corner of the screen.

Last edited by boswd; 06-13-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #28
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:

Thanks!!
If you are going to buy a new reader, I would say wait until the holiday season, because it is probable that Amazon will come out with a new reader, and I would much rather buy from Amazon than Barnes and Noble. Let me tell you why.

I used to own a Nook, until I forgot it in a hotel. On a side note, the person with my nook likes the Los Angeles Times. But here is what I learned from my time with a nook; Barnes and Noble lacks attention to detail. To put it in another way, they do a half-ass job on their features just so they can say they have them. Let me give a few examples.

Annotation and highlighting: Both Amazon and Barnes and Noble advertise these features, so they must at least be somewhat important. The Nook Classic annotation abilities are all but worthless. There is no way to search the annotations. There is no way to look them all up on one page. They are not backed up. There is no way to export them to your computer. From what I've read and seen in reviews, the All New Nook does allow you to look up your notes and highlights on one page, but there is still no way to export them.

Web Browser: The Nook Classic has a very good web browser, but unlike the Kindle, you cannot download books using the Nook browser.

Let's look at the shortcomings and misleading advertising of the All New Nook.

PDF features: If you watch the reviews, you'll learn that the All New Nook has mediocre PDF features that are vastly inferior to the capabilities of Kindle and Sony readers. Again, this just seems like an instance where B&N tacked on the feature just so they could say they have it.

Bookstore: What's wrong with the bookstore? Nothing really, except they advertise two million books, of which well over half (and likely three fourths) are Google books. Whereas as you can use download catalogues from Mobileread and project gutenberg to download public domain books directly onto your kindle, the free public domain books that you can download directly to the nook are crappy ocr'd unproofread google books. You can still sideload books onto the nook, but the whole idea of advertising "two million books" is that you can download them without a computer. Technically you can, but most of those two million books are crappy google books.

Dictionary Look-Up: As many reviewers have pointed out, you may tap on a word to look it up, but you may not type in a word to look up. Again, this is just a half-assed feature that is put in just so B&N can say they have it.

Annotations: As already noted, it has this feature, but there is no way to export the notes.

Also note that the All New Nook lacks landscape and audio features. The landscape can be added in firmware updates, but there are no speakers or audio ports.

Now I have nothing against the Nook Touch. It looks like a very good reader, and if touch screen navigation is the most important thing to you and you really want a reader with this feature now that is cheap, then by all means buy a nook touch. But as I've already shown, a lot of what B&N advertises is smoke and mirrors. Amazon has consistently shown a greater attention to detail than B&N (except for Amazon's crappy collections and book organization system, which is the only area where they have consistently failed to do a good job). Note that Kobo also has a touch reader, but from what I've seen in reviews, it seems really slow. Sony has great touch readers, but also a crappy store and a high price tag. Nevertheless, if I may be redundant and cliche, good things come to those who wait. The momentum in the ereader industry is clearly for touch screens, and Amazon is a very shrewd company, so it is just a matter of time that they come out with their own cheap touch reader. When they do, it will very likely have much better thought out features than the Nook Touch.

A full comparison can be found at this link, which conveniently lists the similarities, advantages of the nook, and advantages of the kindle: nook-touch-vs-kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
No its not true. Just more misinformation from kindle owners. Seems to be SOP as of late.
There is a common saying; "their are two kinds of people in the world; those that judge people by what book reader they own, and those that don't." Okay, maybe I made that up.

As far as the search features, if I remember with the Nook Classic, there is an intra-book search function, but not an inter-book search function. From reviews I have seen and the B&N website, I have not seen a demonstration or mention of a search feature on the Nook Touch. However, in a comparison chart between the Kindle and the Nook Touch on the-ebook-reader.com, its lists search as a common feature with the kindle. However, it does not say if search is both intra and interbook, or just intra book. Here is the full list of similarities.

Both have the same 6" E Ink Pearl display panel.
Both come with WiFi for downloading ebooks and periodical subscriptions directly.
Sharing features for posting to Facebook and Twitter.
Both support DRM-free ebooks, of course.
Archive ebooks (cloud storage).
Adjust line-spacing and margins.
Look up words in the dictionary.
Adjust font type (6 fonts for Nook, 3 fonts for Kindle).
Add notes, highlights, bookmarks to ebooks and periodicals.
Search, bookmarks, jump to page, table of contents.
Both have page-buttons on both sides of the screen.
Both boast long battery lives, ranging from a couple of weeks to 2 months, depending on a number of factors.

Quote:
if you aren't aware of the features then why would someone post it as feature it doesn't have?

bottom line don't post advantages and disadvantages of products if you aren't familliar of each products features.
What about what Barnes and Noble actually advertises? For instance, on their website, Barnes and Noble flat out and unequivocally says that the Nook Touch does not have a web browser. Should we not trust the word of the seller? Do you really want to buy stuff from a company that blatantly lies to you?
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #29
boswd
Banned

Blatently lies to you? Egads ease up on the drama. it does not have a full functioning webrowser. would you prefer they did say it had a webbrowser when it's not 100% functional.
I mean commone sense would know it has to have some link to a webbrowser, how else would you buy wirelessly and have access to Facebook and twitter.

Just WOW.

What in Sam Hill are you talking about, you clearly don't know the features yet you post as if you do

*sigh*

http://img1.imagesbn.com/PImages/noo...OOK_110601.pdf

go to about page 33 of the userguide and it explains the "find" word and phrases within the nook.
It even shows the what the results look like etc.
It uses the exact same UI as my Nook color.

Next time spellbanish do a little research before writing super long posts, that'll save you some time and point out features you clearly don't know about. It doesn't take all that long.

And why do you keep comparing the features of the nook classic when it's about the STR.
Learn the features of the STR and then come back ok? The nook classic has nothing to do with this comparison.

Last edited by boswd; 06-13-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #30
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Blatently lies to you? Egads ease up on the drama. it does not have a full functioning webrowser. would you prefer they did say it had a webbrowser when it's not 100% functional.
I mean commone sense would know it has to have some link to a webbrowser, how else would you buy wirelessly and have access to Facebook and twitter.

Just WOW.

Egads, ease up on the drama, with the sighs and the "wows." You're getting all worked up over a consumer product. Perhaps you should focus your ire on things that actually matter.

Here is what B&N writes on their website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes and Noble
10. Can I listen to music, play games or browse the web on my NOOK?
No. Your NOOK is designed for an optimized reading experience.
Wouldn't it just be easier to say that the browser is experimental, or nothing at all, instead of pretending that they didn't include a browser because they wanted to provide an "optimized reading experience." It would be like shitting on someone's lawn and saying "I did it to provide optimal growing conditions." Note, seeing as you lack basic reading comprehension skills, I am not saying that B&N pooped on anything, nor am I saying that having a gimped browser is worse than having no browser at all. The point of the analogy was not the shitting, it was a vivid example of trying to dress something up. A lack of features does not in anyway "optimize" the reading experience. Again, a lack of attention to details defines the B&N experience. B&N, meet your future bride, bankruptcy.

Also note that B&N said they "designed" the nook for an optimized reading experience, when clearly all they did was use the Nook color os for the Nook Touch(thus there was no specific design for an optimized reading experience). Not a really big deal, but as I've pointed out, you really can't trust what B&N says.

Quote:
What in Sam Hill are you talking about, you clearly don't know the features yet you post as if you do

*sigh*

http://img1.imagesbn.com/PImages/noo...OOK_110601.pdf

go to about page 33 of the userguide and it explains the "find" word and phrases within the nook.
It even shows the what the results look like etc.
It uses the exact same UI as my Nook color.

Next time spellbanish do a little research before writing super long posts, that'll save you some time and point out features you clearly don't know about. It doesn't take all that long.
So you latch onto one thing and say that negates my whole post? Perhaps you need a lesson in reading comprehension. My post was about how B&N lacks attention to detail in the features they provide, not about the specific features. Yet you seem to anally focus on one thing. Here is the thesis statement of my post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher
But here is what I learned from my time with a nook; Barnes and Noble lacks attention to detail. To put it in another way, they do a half-ass job on their features just so they can say they have them. Let me explain.
Note that the post is about a whole lot more than just the search function. When I did talk about the search function, I noted my own ignorance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher
As far as the search features, if I remember with the Nook Classic, there is an intra-book search function, but not an inter-book search function. From reviews I have seen and the B&N website, I have not seen a demonstration or mention of a search feature on the Nook Touch. However, in a comparison chart between the Kindle and the Nook Touch on the-ebook-reader.com, its lists search as a common feature with the kindle. However, it does not say if search is both intra and interbook, or just intra book.
From the user guide link you provided, there is an intrabook search feature, but not an interbook search function. Something new was learned. That is why people have discussions (although most are capable of doing it in a much more civil fashion than you).

Last edited by spellbanisher; 06-13-2011 at 01:12 PM.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote