Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Windows Develpment Environment issue

I decided that it was time to set up a clean Windows Calibre Development environment in a VM to help with some testing I want to do. I have gone through all the steps that worked when I built it on my own PC, but I now end up with the following error
Code:
C:\calibre>python setup.py build
Setup calibre version: 0.4.127
running build
running resources
WARNING: Could not find Qt transations
Resources are up to date
running translations
Translations up to date
running gui
Compiling images...
error: The system cannot find the file specified
Any idea what I have done wrong? What files is it looking for at this stage?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It will be looking for pyuic4.exe and pyrcc4.exe (these are PyQt4 development tools). My development instructions for windows assume that images and forms are compiled already and not needed on windows.

Just copy over images.pyc from a linux install or from the calibre tarball and make sure it has a date newer than the other files in the calibre directory.

If you need to do the compiling of images/forms on windows (if you are hacking on the GUI), you have to pass the appropriate switches when compiling PyQt to ensure that pyrcc4 and pyuic4 are built (Just compile everything instead of restricting to only needed modules)
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I actually had those tools installed as I had used the windows binary install package for PyQt4. I decided to persevere and see if I can do a complete build from source on Windows rather than copying some files across from the linux builds. I am getting closer but not there yet. Things I have found so far are:
  • It appears that the build process was trying to include files relative to C:\Qt\4.4.2 whereas on my system I had them all relative to C:\Qt. I got around that by setting a symbolic link (known as a Junction point in Windows) so that C:\Qt\4.4.2 pointed back to C:\Qt. Any idea what set up the reference to 4.4.2 in the first place as I had Qt 4.4.3 installed?
  • Another thing I found that the calibre setup.py file includes the following:
    Code:
                    include_dirs=['C:/WinDDK/6001.18001/inc/api/',
                                  'C:/WinDDK/6001.18001/inc/crt/'],
    whereas on my system they should be:
    C :/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/VC/INCLUDE/
    and
    'C:/Program Files/Microsoft SDKs/Windows/v6.0A/include/'
    which are the include directories set under the INCLUDE environment variable. Is it possible for the setup.py program to be modifed to extract these values from the INCLUDE environment variable which would be more flexible?

Simply modifying setup.py was not sufficient as the above names contained spaces, and these were not being passed through correctly to the command line. Again I used symbolic links, setting them to:
    C:\SymLink\VC-include
    C:\SymLink\SDK-include
    and referencing these in setup.py which works fine.
  • The latest thing I found is that I am get the following error message:
    Code:
    copying src\calibre\ebooks\lrf\web\profiles\zeitde.py -> build\lib.win32-2.6\cal
    ibre\ebooks\lrf\web\profiles
    copying src\calibre\ebooks\lrf\web\profiles\__init__.py -> build\lib.win32-2.6\c
    alibre\ebooks\lrf\web\profiles
    creating build\lib.win32-2.6\calibre\plugins
    error: can't copy 'src\calibre\plugins\lzx.so': doesn't exist or not a regular f
    ile
    which is not surpising as that is looks like a unix/linux style library. I have not yet resolved how to fix this item so that the correct thing is done udner windows so would welcome any ideas! My guess it is just an appropriate modification/section to the setup.py file? Any ideas?
I can update the wiki article on putting together a Windows development environment with all this information, but some of it might be better fixed at source rather than worked around as otherwise the workarounds need to be applied each time the checked-out code is updated to a new release?

Would it better if I put all this in a ticket?
Old 01-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Qt path is not hardcoded anywhere. It is detected from the output of qmake, which should be in your PATH

Those include directories are for the windows driver development kit which is need to compile a windows specific module winutil.pyd

You can always create a simple .bat file that sets up the include directories the way they should be on your system, like the bat file used to setup the visual studio command prompt. Once you do that, any extra directories in setup.py will simply have no effect

You should run

python setup.py build_ext

to create the lzx and other C extensions.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The Qt path is not hardcoded anywhere. It is detected from the output of qmake, which should be in your PATH
That is strange - when I run Qmake I get
Code:
C:\Calibre>qmake -v
QMake version 2.01a
Using Qt version 4.4.3 in C:\Qt\lib
which is correct - but not what is being used by calibre? It sounds as if it must be getting its values from somewhere else?

I am thinking that the binary version of PyQt that I installed has assumed Qt 4.4.2 as I can see references to it in the file:
C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\PyQt4\pyqtconfig.py

This item is not too critical as it is easy to work-around using symbolic links. Probably building PyQt4 from source will also correct this problem so I will check that out.

Quote:
Those include directories are for the windows driver development kit which is need to compile a windows specific module winutil.pyd
I have visual studio 2008 express edition installed and the SDK that comes with it so the include files are at a different location. My point was that the locations are hard-coded into setup.py, so a batch file may be of no use.
Quote:
You can always create a simple .bat file that sets up the include directories the way they should be on your system, like the bat file used to setup the visual studio command prompt. Once you do that, any extra directories in setup.py will simply have no effect
I am running from a visual studio command prompt that DOES have the directories setup correctly. However the calibre build process did not seem to be using the values from the environment until I altered setup.py appropriately, and then it compiled the winutil.c file without error. I assume you would be happy with me providing a patch to setup.py that reads the values from the environment if they exist?

Quote:
You should run

python setup.py build_ext

to create the lzx and other C extensions.
I ran that and it worked without errors. However when I later ran
python setup.py build
I still got the errror message about being unable to copy the lzx.so file! Not sure where that message is originating from so that I can correct/workaround it.
Advert
Old 01-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

A patch to read the include dirs from the environment is fine. What does you src/calibre/plugins directory contain?
Old 01-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard

It contains the following:
lzx.pyd
lzx.pyd.manifest
msdes.pyd
msdes.pyd.manifest
pictureflow.pyd
winutil.pyd
winutil.pyd.manifest
All files have a recent timestamp (which implies they have been built recently?) - with the pictureflow.pyd one being a bit earlier than the others. The same set of files can be found under C:\calibre\build\lib.win32-2.6\calibre\plugins if it matters. The interesting thing there is that the timestamps for those under the build path are older than those under the src path except for pictureflow.pyd which appears to be the same.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Post the full output of running python setup.py build
Old 01-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
itimpi
Wizard

here it is:

Code:
C:\Calibre>python setup.py build
Setup calibre version: 0.4.128
running build
running resources
WARNING: Could not find Qt transations
Resources are up to date
running translations
Translations up to date
running gui
Images are up to date
running build_ext
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\BIN\cl.exe /c /nologo /Ox /MD /W
3 /GX /DNDEBUG -IC:\Python26\include -Isrc\calibre\utils\lzx -IC:\Python26\PC /T
csrc/calibre/utils/lzx/lzxmodule.c /FoC:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\ca
libre.plugins.lzx\lzxmodule.c.obj
cl : Command line warning D9035 : option 'GX' has been deprecated and will be re
moved in a future release
cl : Command line warning D9036 : use 'EHsc' instead of 'GX'
lzxmodule.c
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\BIN\cl.exe /c /nologo /Ox /MD /W
3 /GX /DNDEBUG -IC:\Python26\include -Isrc\calibre\utils\lzx -IC:\Python26\PC /T
csrc/calibre/utils/lzx/compressor.c /FoC:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\c
alibre.plugins.lzx\compressor.c.obj
cl : Command line warning D9035 : option 'GX' has been deprecated and will be re
compressor.c
csrc/calibre/utils/lzx/lzxd.c /FoC:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\calibre
.plugins.lzx\lzxd.c.obj
lzxd.c
csrc/calibre/utils/lzx/lzc.c /FoC:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\calibre.
plugins.lzx\lzc.c.obj
lzc.c
csrc/calibre/utils/lzx/lzxc.c /FoC:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\calibre
.plugins.lzx\lzxc.c.obj
lzxc.c
src/calibre/utils/lzx/lzxc.c(1203) : warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'short
' to 'uint8_t', possible loss of data
src/calibre/utils/lzx/lzxc.c(1206) : warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'short
' to 'uint8_t', possible loss of data
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\BIN\link.exe /DLL /nologo /INCRE
MENTAL:NO /LIBPATH:C:\Python26\libs /LIBPATH:C:\Python26\PCbuild /EXPORT:initlzx
 C:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\calibre.plugins.lzx\lzxmodule.c.obj C:\
Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\calibre.plugins.lzx\compressor.c.obj C:\Cal
ibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\calibre.plugins.lzx\lzxd.c.obj C:\Calibre\buil
d\temp.win32-2.6\Release\calibre.plugins.lzx\lzc.c.obj C:\Calibre\build\temp.win
32-2.6\Release\calibre.plugins.lzx\lzxc.c.obj /OUT:C:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2
.6\Release\calibre.plugins.lzx\lzx.pyd
   Creating library C:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\calibre.plugins.lzx\
lzx.lib and object C:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\calibre.plugins.lzx\l
zx.exp
3 /GX /DNDEBUG -IC:\Python26\include -Isrc\calibre\utils\msdes -IC:\Python26\PC
/Tcsrc/calibre/utils/msdes/msdesmodule.c /FoC:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Rele
ase\calibre.plugins.msdes\msdesmodule.c.obj
msdesmodule.c
3 /GX /DNDEBUG -IC:\Python26\include -Isrc\calibre\utils\msdes -IC:\Python26\PC
/Tcsrc/calibre/utils/msdes/des.c /FoC:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\cali
bre.plugins.msdes\des.c.obj
des.c
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\BIN\link.exe /DLL /nologo /INCRE
MENTAL:NO /LIBPATH:C:\Python26\libs /LIBPATH:C:\Python26\PCbuild /EXPORT:initmsd
es C:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\calibre.plugins.msdes\msdesmodule.c.o
bj C:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\calibre.plugins.msdes\des.c.obj /OUT:
C:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\calibre.plugins.msdes\msdes.pyd
   Creating library C:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\calibre.plugins.msde
s\msdes.lib and object C:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\calibre.plugins.m
sdes\msdes.exp
building 'calibre.plugins.pictureflow' extension
C:\Qt\bin\qmake.exe -o Makefile.qt pictureflow.pro
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\BIN\nmake.exe -f Makefile.qt

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 9.00.30729.01
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\BIN\nmake.exe" -f Makef
ile.qt.Release

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 9.00.30729.01
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

3 /GX /DNDEBUG /X -IC:\Python26\include -IC:\Python26\PC -IC:\SymLinks\DDK_inclu
de\ -IC:\SymLinks\VC_include\ /Tcsrc/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c /FoC:\Calib
re\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\calibre.plugins.winutil\winutil.c.obj
winutil.c
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(211) : warning C4047: 'function' : 'size_t'
differs in levels of indirection from 'unsigned short [10]'
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(211) : warning C4024: 'swprintf' : different
 types for formal and actual parameter 2
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(211) : warning C4047: 'function' : 'const wc
har_t *' differs in levels of indirection from 'unsigned int'
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(211) : warning C4024: 'swprintf' : different
 types for formal and actual parameter 3
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(212) : warning C4047: 'function' : 'size_t'
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(212) : warning C4024: 'swprintf' : different
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(212) : warning C4047: 'function' : 'const wc
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(212) : warning C4024: 'swprintf' : different
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(213) : warning C4047: 'function' : 'size_t'
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(213) : warning C4024: 'swprintf' : different
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(213) : warning C4047: 'function' : 'const wc
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(213) : warning C4024: 'swprintf' : different
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(214) : warning C4047: 'function' : 'size_t'
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(214) : warning C4024: 'swprintf' : different
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(214) : warning C4047: 'function' : 'const wc
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(214) : warning C4024: 'swprintf' : different
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(289) : warning C4996: 'wcscpy': This functio
n or variable may be unsafe. Consider using wcscpy_s instead. To disable depreca
tion, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(570) : warning C4996: 'mbstowcs': This funct
ion or variable may be unsafe. Consider using mbstowcs_s instead. To disable dep
recation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
        C:\SymLinks\VC_include\stdlib.h(499) : see declaration of 'mbstowcs'
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(573) : warning C4996: 'mbstowcs': This funct
ion or variable may be unsafe. Consider using mbstowcs_s instead. To disable dep
recation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
        C:\SymLinks\VC_include\stdlib.h(499) : see declaration of 'mbstowcs'
src/calibre/utils/windows/winutil.c(577) : warning C4996: 'localtime': This func
tion or variable may be unsafe. Consider using localtime_s instead. To disable d
eprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
        C:\SymLinks\VC_include\time.inl(114) : see declaration of 'localtime'
MENTAL:NO /LIBPATH:C:\Python26\libs /LIBPATH:C:\Python26\PCbuild shell32.lib set
upapi.lib /EXPORT:initwinutil C:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\calibre.pl
ugins.winutil\winutil.c.obj /OUT:C:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\calibre
.plugins.winutil\winutil.pyd
   Creating library C:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\calibre.plugins.winu
til\winutil.lib and object C:\Calibre\build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\calibre.plugi
ns.winutil\winutil.exp
running build_py
error: can't copy 'src\calibre\plugins\lzx.so': doesn't exist or not a regular f
ile
Is that what you were looking for?
Old 01-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah but not really useful. Perhaps there's a reference to lzx.so in some generated file. Try running

python setup.py clean

and then

python setup.py build
Old 01-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #11
itimpi
Wizard

I seem to have accidentally deleted my C:\Qt folder - so it is going to take me quite a while to regenerate that output you asked for. Probably means I will not get that it until tomorrow I knew it was time to make a backup of the VM!

EDIT: Found it - I had just moved it under another folder - not deleted it so it should not take too long

Last edited by itimpi; 01-17-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:12 PM   #12
itimpi
Wizard

OK - here is that output. As there is rather a lot of it I have attached it as a file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Calibre Build.txt (83.3 KB, 637 views)
Old 01-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah ok, I can reproduce the error in my windows build environment, I'll work on a fix and get back to you.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #14
itimpi
Wizard

Great. At least I am not going doing something absolutely stupid (it has been known ).
Old 01-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #15
itimpi
Wizard

On a slightly different issue - do you know if there are any tools that allow python debugging to be done from the Visual Studio 2008 IDE? I am extremely familiar with that IDE so would prefer to use it if I could. If not I will have to continue to use the Eclipse IDE I have installed as an alternative.