Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-21-2021, 05:39 PM   #61
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Of course you can. And I'm going to. No way will I want this update on my Oasis.
Is the Kindle smart enough to download the update incrementally, ie can it resumes interrupted download? If not, it can't update if you only connect long enough to sync your books
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 06:03 PM   #62
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Is the Kindle smart enough to download the update incrementally, ie can it resumes interrupted download? If not, it can't update if you only connect long enough to sync your books
Kindles have been capable of resuming interrupted firmware downloads for a very long time. That was the basis for the former firmware update blocking directory which now gets deleted by amazon. The 7" Oases are very fast and can download a firmware update very quickly.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2021, 06:14 PM   #63
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Okay, applied the manual update to Oasis.

I don't HATE it, but I do prefer previous toolbar as being simple and easily accessed without swiping down. I will get used to the new design but did like the toolbar before.

I am not seeing a reason to have the book at the bottom all the time since the last opened book is always the first large one showed on the library home page anyway, so it seemed kind of redundant in general. It is helpful, I guess, when browsing library, but again that is easy to do just by going to page 1 on library.

I don't have less books in my library like some are reporting. I still have six and not five.

Only thing weird is my auto brightness kept going up and down a lot when I was trying to look, so I turned it off for now.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 01:21 AM   #64
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Okay, applied the manual update to Oasis.

I don't HATE it, but I do prefer previous toolbar as being simple and easily accessed without swiping down. I will get used to the new design but did like the toolbar before.

I am not seeing a reason to have the book at the bottom all the time since the last opened book is always the first large one showed on the library home page anyway, so it seemed kind of redundant in general. It is helpful, I guess, when browsing library, but again that is easy to do just by going to page 1 on library.

I don't have less books in my library like some are reporting. I still have six and not five.

Only thing weird is my auto brightness kept going up and down a lot when I was trying to look, so I turned it off for now.
Going to page one will take two taps now (Home and then Your Library), so it is not as easy as it was (the toolbar Home button would do that if the setting was configured to do that). Maybe it is not necessary to get back to reading the most recent book with one tap, but I like it (the Kindle apps have had this design for awhile).

On Paperwhite without Special Offers, there are 5 books shown per page in List View and 6 in Grid View. Oasis has a slightly larger screen so it might have another row in List view. I’m still curious about what it looks like with SO Kindles. I guess I should be able to turn them on and off at will?

Last edited by tomsem; 08-22-2021 at 01:33 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 02:52 AM   #65
realthk
realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
I don't have less books in my library like some are reporting. I still have six and not five
That must be the cover view. In the list view, there are only 5 items now by default, and only 4 (!) if you try the "display setting: large" (which does not enlarge the tiny system font, that remains barely readable)
On the first page of this topic, I've inserted screenshots of how bad is this on the Oasis, with huge unused white spaces everywhere.

Before this awful fw, there was 8 items in the list if I remember right (at least that is so on the smaller screen of my older Paperwhite, and it is not crowded at all)

Last edited by realthk; 08-22-2021 at 02:56 AM.
realthk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2021, 04:18 AM   #66
mnju
mnju began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've seen photos and descriptions in this very thread. That's enough information to base my decision on. I would hate the new UI.

And you can't TRY an update with a Kindle. Once you update, you're stuck with it. You cannot downgrade, like you can with a Kobo.
Luckily I still have a Kobo Aura that I used only once as I liked my Kindle better. Now that Amazon f*cked up my ereader it's time to ditch the Kindle. The only thing I'm going to miss is longer battery time.
mnju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:22 AM   #67
Shark69
Zealot
Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Yes, I would like to see an example.I have been busy with other thing but now I am interested in seeing what has changed with the new firmware.
I'm sending you a personal message.
Shark69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:38 AM   #68
Abish4i
The Escapist
Abish4i began at the beginning.

Device: PW4 (10th Gen), Android, Zorin(linux)
Post Cover Bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fardeenah View Post
i lost the book cover support for sideloaded books
I have nodrm on my device which shows covers for all of them.
Abish4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 02:53 PM   #69
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realthk View Post
That must be the cover view. In the list view, there are only 5 items now by default, and only 4 (!) if you try the "display setting: large" (which does not enlarge the tiny system font, that remains barely readable)
On the first page of this topic, I've inserted screenshots of how bad is this on the Oasis, with huge unused white spaces everywhere.

Before this awful fw, there was 8 items in the list if I remember right (at least that is so on the smaller screen of my older Paperwhite, and it is not crowded at all)
Ah okay assumed it shortened the cover view.
And yes it is odd looking on homepage now to me. I definitely preferred old toolbar design for the top.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:11 PM   #70
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Ah, gotcha.

And yes they do put a lot of work into the app. That may be more commonly used than e-ink devices themselves.
Do the (not Kindle) Fire tablets more or less use the app interface? I have a (7th gen?) Fire 7 that I'd check on, except it's unusably laggy
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:19 AM   #71
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Do the (not Kindle) Fire tablets more or less use the app interface? I have a (7th gen?) Fire 7 that I'd check on, except it's unusably laggy
Newer ones do.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:57 PM   #72
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
They do, although to me it looks a bit different than the mobile version. I don't use the apps much on fire or phone, don't think I even have installed on my phone at this point. It's sluggish on the fire though.
Old 08-23-2021, 03:38 PM   #73
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I believe 7th gen have the latest Kindle app and FireOS (I have 7th gen Fire 8HD but it is Deregistered as of a couple of months ago). It runs the same version as the latest Android app. The only difference is that the Fire app has TTS.

Somewhere between 4th gen Fire and 7th Fire, the Kindle app doesn’t get updated any more and lacks Series grouping. Things like Alexa still get updates, and FireOS may still get security and bug fixes (but none since at least March).

But the iOS and Android apps have in addition to Home and Library, there are Discover/Store and More screens (where Settings are) that you select at the bottom. At the top is a Notifications button (be glad these are not on Kindle) and search bar, where Store and More/settings buttons are.

The Kindle quick settings at the top are equivalent of iOS Control Panel or Android settings/notification panel that appear when you swipe from top (or on TouchID iPhones, swipe up from bottom for some reason I don’t understand).

But yes, there is a lot of similarity. They could move Store and Settings menu to the bottom on Kindle for even more similarity.

The one thing I wish they would do is to let you choose tap zones in reading mode that are the same as the apps (page left|Options|Page right). I keep tapping the middle of the screen to bring up options and it turns the page. That’s always been the biggest muscle memory issue when moving back and forth, and ‘easy reach’ is only easy reach if you hold in left hand, and never really made sense to me. Why not at least allow it to be reversed?

Hey, and it is now just Web Browser instead of Experimental Web Browser! AFAICT it is just a label change but I have not tried any of the things that did not work any more like signing in to DropBox, OneDrive etc. Wonder if you can access Kindle Vella with it (not that I can find anything in there that interests me).

Last edited by tomsem; 08-23-2021 at 03:43 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:55 PM   #74
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Kindles have been capable of resuming interrupted firmware downloads for a very long time. That was the basis for the former firmware update blocking directory which now gets deleted by amazon. The 7" Oases are very fast and can download a firmware update very quickly.
Can you delete the update if it does get partially downloaded? I would like to use my Voyage to download books directly, but I don't want this newest firmware (should it ever become available for the Voyage). My 7th generation Paperwhite is already held back to 5.9.7. (I had forgotten I'd done that.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:06 PM   #75
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Can you delete the update if it does get partially downloaded? I would like to use my Voyage to download books directly, but I don't want this newest firmware (should it ever become available for the Voyage). My 7th generation Paperwhite is already held back to 5.9.7. (I had forgotten I'd done that.)
Yes, but if the firmware prioritizes updates over book downloads, you are screwed.

What firmware version is your Voyage, and is it jailbroken?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote