Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-23-2020, 05:34 PM   #1
OldLincoln
Zealot
OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FBReader
Want to copy entire calibre library to sd card

I finally got a modern tablet and 128GB sd card. I'm frustrated at going to my pc to look up an author and or books from before so I know what I'm getting on KU. Can I just copy the entire library to my sd card and use Calibre Companion as my interface? By the way, I have over 11k books going back to 2012. The library is 17GB in size.

Sounds simple but once before I destroyed my database trying to change stuff. I will always add new books to Calibre on PC as normal, but then can use CC to put them on my tablet.

I will hold off until I get an answer, hopefully from a couple experts. I'm too old to screw this up again.
OldLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:48 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
I finally got a modern tablet and 128GB sd card. I'm frustrated at going to my pc to look up an author and or books from before so I know what I'm getting on KU. Can I just copy the entire library to my sd card and use Calibre Companion as my interface? By the way, I have over 11k books going back to 2012. The library is 17GB in size.

Sounds simple but once before I destroyed my database trying to change stuff. I will always add new books to Calibre on PC as normal, but then can use CC to put them on my tablet.

I will hold off until I get an answer, hopefully from a couple experts. I'm too old to screw this up again.
Which PC OS (MacOS, Linux or Windows) and what sort of Tablet (iOS, Android, Windows)? There might be different considerations for different combos.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2020, 08:05 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
CC wants you to use their interface to transfer books. It does not do well with side loaded books.
Do spend some time down in the Calibre Companion forum here at MR.
Things are not going smooth as when the originators had it. OTOH the Tablet OS ongoing development is not making the new guys job any easier.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:38 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

I would suggest generating a catalog in calibre and then transferring it to your tablet. Use that catalog to check a book before you borrow it from KU or repurchase it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:18 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
CC wants you to use their interface to transfer books. It does not do well with side loaded books.
Do spend some time down in the Calibre Companion forum here at MR.
...(
...but it does have an option to access a CALIBRE library copy on an SD card ( unless the new guys managed to break that! - should still work
the bigger hassle is getting a multi gig library onto an SD card in the first place, unless your PC has an SD CARD Writer ONBOARD

also, you then have to keep it in sync with your PC source library - another hassle. but it can be done with an android app like folder sync pro

Last edited by stumped; 08-24-2020 at 12:22 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2020, 12:37 AM   #6
OldLincoln
Zealot
OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I prefer to keep CC as my android 10 tablet database interface to Calibre. I have dismal wifi and am the only user. To CC books down takes a few minutes for 15 books, 11kbooks = forever.

Originally hoped to USB cable from Calibre to tablet, connect tablet CC to Calibre and bring all books down. I don't understand all what I read on Calibre connections but didn't see USB as an option.

Second choice was hoping to direct copy Calibre db to an sd card on pc, then from the sd card now in the tablet [something magic happens] and CC pulls books into it's tablet database. My understanding now is no way as CC absolutely must connect to primary Calibre to get books. Fine for several books, less than ideal for thousands.

Other options?
Old 08-26-2020, 12:51 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
on.

Second choice was hoping to direct copy Calibre db to an sd card on pc, then from the sd card now in the tablet [something magic happens] and CC pulls books into it's tablet database.

Other options?
YES, but you have to put the tablet SD into the PC, copy the library to it, then put it back into the tablet. ( YOU CAN DO IT WIRELESSLY BUT ITS BIG ASK, FOR 17gb

in CC connect options you should then see an option to connect to SD card, instead of connect to cloud or content server
Old 08-26-2020, 07:09 PM   #8
OldLincoln
Zealot

Really!! Wow... that is better than the other methods. No problem copying the pc database to the scars as I got a card reader with it. I can see the card on the pc and copy files. Installed in the tablet, you say I can open CC, set the director folder to the Calibre the on the card and in business. To add books from pc Calibre, can I just continue to pull them in wirelessly to that same db?

Sorry to be so dull, in my working years 40 years ago I was sharp and quick. Getting old takes a lot of patience. Thanks for your patience and willingness to help.
Oldlincoln
Old 08-27-2020, 01:10 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard

yes, that is how its is designed to work ( NB its not something I have actually done, but that's how its supposed to work. do ask again if you hit any problems)

TIP. be clear in your mind that you will end up with 2 databases
1. the exact copy of the source( PC) calibre library which is going to end up on SD card in your tablet
2. the database which cc itself will build as you use it to fetch books ( from that SD card, or via the other connectivity options. ) CC will continue to see the SD card file as a " remote" calibre library. it will not try to write to it or update it.

3. to keep the SD card and pc libraries in sync, there are other apps for that if you want to explore that later, but I suggest get the basic set up working first. Then I recommend android app folder sync ( free or pro)
Old 08-31-2020, 02:56 PM   #10
OldLincoln
Zealot

Thanks for your tips. It popped my bubble, however, as my [something magic happens] allowing CC to process the copied db into a CC db isn't going to happen. After all, my goal was to have that CC database containing all Calibre books on my tablet.

I've burned a lot of cells trying to find a way to firm up my wifi which appears to be limited to 100mbs although my tablets are rated for gbs speeds. I discovered the router provides the "n", not the "cs" settings.

Another thought, (plan g or e) is to copy books from the CC folder on my other tabs to the new tab. Is that an alternative? If so, I might task one of my earlier tabs to grab batches of Calibre books overnight then move them to the new one.

I understand CC is pretty much a finished product, so looking to Calibre it would be great if it could someday provide a converted book that combined all selected custom columns, even nulls. That would allow tablet recording of book metadata that would update Calibre through CC. Currently allows marking a book read and date, but not "my rating", a custom column. This means I have to visit my pc and Calibre to update.

You might think that is small stuff, but I only get to the pc about weekly. By then I have read at least 6 books, and thumbed through others scouting future reads and don't recall my rating most of the time. I have to look up each book on the tab to see my rating, then copy it to Calibre. As a full time caretaker I sit and read 10+ hours a day. I complete over 300 books a year so for it is an issue (many are quick reads).

I have used Calibre since the early days and consider it terrific. I'd be lost without it. My request is selfish but ask it get a thought for consideration.

Thanks all.