Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2021, 06:20 AM   #166
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnju View Post
So I had to buy a book that was only available for Kindle (6 mb azw), the first - at probably last - book I bought since the 5.13.7 update. It's been stuck as "unindexed" for a couple of days now, draining my PW battery. Why doesn't Amazon fix bugs instead of changing things for the sake of change?
Because "implemented features X and Y" sits well on appraisals and reviews. "What did you do this year?" "Fixed a lot of annoying bugs that irritate the hell out of our existing users" doesn't.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:31 PM   #167
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilis View Post
Will it ever be possible to jail break the new? Sorry, I don't understand how any of this works. Thank you for advising me...
Amazon has patched the flaw that allowed the last jailbreak. When will someone find another security hole that will allow a new jail break? It could be next week, it could be years. I think the time between the last jail break and the one before that was several years.

In other words, don't hold your breath. If you really hate the new update that much, find a used one with an old firmware version and don't turn on wifi. Better yet, find one with firmware between 5.10.3 and 5.13.3 inclusive, jail break, and disable automatic update. Then you can use wifi and not worry about it updating.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:12 PM   #168
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
It's faster but two finger zooming into the pictures won't work anymore. Is it a bug?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:48 PM   #169
Guiltyr1
Connoisseur
Guiltyr1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Padigital Novel
I still haven't seen this come through for the Voyage. I was so hoping to upgrade the Voyage. I've been wanting a voyage for so long and now I finally get one and they are done updating it..... this makes me sad..
Guiltyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:40 PM   #170
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I'm used to the update now and it's not bugging me anymore.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 09-30-2021 at 10:37 PM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:51 AM   #171
Canis_lupus
Enthusiast
Canis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmos

Device: K2, K3, Touch, K5B, Voyage, PW4, Oasis 1, 2 & 3, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyr1 View Post
I still haven't seen this come through for the Voyage. I was so hoping to upgrade the Voyage. I've been wanting a voyage for so long and now I finally get one and they are done updating it..... this makes me sad..
I am really hoping the Voyage doesn’t get the update.
Canis_lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:08 AM   #172
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis_lupus View Post
I am really hoping the Voyage doesn’t get the update.
Me too.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:12 PM   #173
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Change your WiFi password or never turn it on and only use Download via PC on Amazon for USB. That's what I have on four Kindles in this house.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:34 PM   #174
mjwilson
Connoisseur
mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I seem to have lost my back button while reading a book. The back button at the top of the page just goes back to the Library. So if I'm reading a book with footnotes, and if the Kindle doesn't show them in a pop-up but instead navigates to the end of the book, then I can't get back to the starting point.

Some people on Reddit suggest that if you swipe up from the bottom, then the point you came from is marked on the horizontal line, and the "|<" button should take you back, but that isn't working for me, "|<" just seems to act as a "previous section" button.
mjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:47 AM   #175
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwilson View Post
I seem to have lost my back button while reading a book. The back button at the top of the page just goes back to the Library. So if I'm reading a book with footnotes, and if the Kindle doesn't show them in a pop-up but instead navigates to the end of the book, then I can't get back to the starting point.

Some people on Reddit suggest that if you swipe up from the bottom, then the point you came from is marked on the horizontal line, and the "|<" button should take you back, but that isn't working for me, "|<" just seems to act as a "previous section" button.
|< and >| are chapter navigation buttons, always.

But if you have navigated somewhere with a hyperlink, there should also be navigation like ‘< Page 142’ in lower right corner to take your back to the previous location. And when you get there there will be a ‘Page 809 >’ to go back to the footnote.

There will also be locations shown on the scroller (or whatever it is called) that will record the last few locations, and in theory you can tap on those to jump between locations.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #176
eilon
Enthusiast
eilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura about

Device: Oasis 2017
I wonder did Amazon sent an over tht air fix or update for the firmware 5.13.7?
A few days a go I ran into a problem with my KO2 running 5.13.7. I had to hard reboot it as It claimed it coudn't run any application (Any interaction with the menu or trying to open a book).

Yesterday, I've manged to see my Kindle announcing it is rebooting itself after being idle for some time (couldn't catch the entire message). Was it an Amazon's Unscheduled offworld activation?
eilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:12 PM   #177
mjwilson
Connoisseur
mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
|< and >| are chapter navigation buttons, always.

But if you have navigated somewhere with a hyperlink, there should also be navigation like ‘< Page 142’ in lower right corner to take your back to the previous location. And when you get there there will be a ‘Page 809 >’ to go back to the footnote.

There will also be locations shown on the scroller (or whatever it is called) that will record the last few locations, and in theory you can tap on those to jump between locations.
Thanks for the info. That makes sense about |< and >|.

The regular back '<' definitely isn't working, at least not in this particular book - it's just from an indie publisher so maybe it's coded incorrectly somehow?
mjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:42 AM   #178
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
Fortunately, I always read this forum before I download a new “upgrade”.
This helped me to avoid this unacceptable one.
There’s no way I will accept to be exposed to advertisement each time I want to access my library. If I remember well I paid more when I bought my Oasis to avoid advertisement.
I’ve left a negative comment about my Oasis on the Amazon site, in hoping they will restore the option to bypass the advertisement screen they dare to call the home screen.
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:05 PM   #179
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyjam View Post
Fortunately, I always read this forum before I download a new “upgrade”.
This helped me to avoid this unacceptable one.
There’s no way I will accept to be exposed to advertisement each time I want to access my library. If I remember well I paid more when I bought my Oasis to avoid advertisement.
I’ve left a negative comment about my Oasis on the Amazon site, in hoping they will restore the option to bypass the advertisement screen they dare to call the home screen.
You do not ever have to navigate to Home Screen. You can just stay in Library. You’ll only ever see it if you Restart.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:09 PM   #180
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
Ignore my question. I found the answer on Youtube.

Last edited by Pyjam; 10-11-2021 at 05:13 PM.
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote