Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-09-2021, 08:50 PM   #106
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Re-enabling com.onyx and restarting doesn't help. I should probably let Onyx know
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:54 PM   #107
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Oh, well, it looks like Onyx is doing something wrong with registering/unregistering receivers: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...not-registered
Yes, but you can see from the E in that report that it's a real error.
Onyx knew that they screwed up so they wrapped it in tissue paper (a try-catch) so it only prints a W warning.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:07 PM   #108
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, I see. Thank you for clarifying.

Will these extra lines in the log actually make any difference to worry about?
I know the log files are rotated with some size limit, but still these extra write operations.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:10 PM   #109
mergen3107
Wizard

I just like this solution (long-press to call stock dialog) because it is simple and yet functional. I can adjust each level or locked together, select profiles and toggle lights from this dialog.

Before that I had GentleGlow on long-press, however to turn off the lights I had to go Notifications menu. Also, it is kinda separate from the stock brightness control, so other apps do not sync with it.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:54 AM   #110
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Will these extra lines in the log actually make any difference to worry about?
Android logs have become a sewer anyway with every single app and service wanting to spew something.

Quote:
Also, it is kinda separate from the stock brightness control, so other apps do not sync with it.
Yes, the system settings screen_cold_brightness, screen_warm_brightness are Onyx specific.
If you don't write to them the lights will not restore to the same level the next time you turn it on.

Me? I just leave the lights on at 30% all the time. If it's bright, I don't notice.
I haven't noticed battery drain. I almost never explicitly charge. It's connected enough for sync/dev.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:57 PM   #111
mergen3107
Wizard

Is there a safe way to shuffle screensavers (or make the system select them randomly) located in /data/local/assets/images/ ?

Currently the only way I see is to run a shell script that renames those “standby-n.png” randomly after boot completed. Magisk has a directory for such shell scripts. However I am not sure how will it behave.

I only tested it manually: via SSH, renamed the screensaver number that was supposed to be the next one (e.g. number 2 if I only put the device to sleep once after fresh boot). The substitution worked well. If the next file is not strictly named in that format (for example standby-2A.png), it uses some pre-cached stock image of 600x800 px. I replaced those in /system/media/ — but this didn’t change a thing. I don’t know where these pre-cached things come from, maybe from disabled com.onyx.
I should probably also make a check of chmod (777) for those files.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:47 PM   #112
Renate
Wizard

Are you actually modifying /system?
Right now all the updates (~1GB) seem to be full and not incremental, but if they ever switch to incremental it might make life more difficult if you've modified /system.
I saw that I had tried putting links in /system/media (but in Magisk, not /system) but that hadn't worked.
Now I just keep 3 copies of the same graphic in /data/local/assets/images.

I haven't found the place in the code yet where the names of 3 files are hard-coded.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:56 AM   #113
mergen3107
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Are you actually modifying /system?
Only those screensavers + swapped lock sounds for (un)lock.
I have the original copies though, so if the update doesn't work, I'll revert them before updating.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:00 AM   #114
Renate
Wizard

Yes, but even deleting A, deleting B, writing B, writing A changes the disk layout.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:42 PM   #115
mergen3107
Wizard

OK
If this will ever be a problem, I'll just edl the backed up untouched system.img
Old 09-16-2021, 02:39 AM   #116
mergen3107
Wizard

Answering my own question, here is how I managed to shuffle screensavers on each boot.
(As a reminder, since I disabled com.onyx, my screensavers are in /data/local/assets/images/ . This is a barebones screensaver engine, so I couldn't find any controls to it.)

1) Installed ccbins (Cross-Complized Binaries) module in Magisk. It installs busybox with a handful of utilities. My main goal was to get "shuf", to shuffle things in the array.

2) Wrote a script "shuffle_run.sh" and placed it in /data/adb/service.d which refers to another script "shuffle.sh" in /data/local/assets/ (giving chmod 755 to both of them as well). This file takes the names via ls (maybe not the best option, but it works), renames to a temp filenames and then renames again to the same names but taking a shuffled array of temporary names as input.

Files attached, if you wanna try.

Tested, works fine. I am happy

P.S. ccbins has a really good amount of utils. If ran from ssh (just "ccbins"), you can download more things like bash, zsh, tcpdump, htop, nano, and many others.
Attached Files
File Type: zip shuffle_screensavers_script.zip (1.5 KB, 129 views)
Old 03-06-2022, 02:58 AM   #117
mergen3107
Wizard

For those interested, I connected an Xbox Wireless controller to Kon-Tiki 2 and caught keycodes:

Code:
Button             | Code     | Action   |
-------------------|----------|----------|
Xbox button        | 0        | (nil)    |
Left stick move    | (ignore) | (nil)    |
Left stick button  | 106      | (nil)    |
Right stick move   | (ignore) | (nil)    |
Right stick button | 103      | (nil)    |
A                  | 96       | (nil)    |
B                  | 97       | (nil)    |
X                  | 99       | (nil)    |
Y                  | 100      | (nil)    |
Dpad: left         | (ignore) | (nil)    |
Dpad: right        | (ignore) | (nil)    |
Dpad: up           | (ignore) | (nil)    |
Dpad: down         | (ignore) | (nil)    |
Menu left          | 109      | (LPgFwd) |
Menu right         | 108      | (nil)    |
LB                 | 102      | (nil)    |
LT                 | (ignore) | (nil)    |
RB                 | 103      | (nil)    |
RT                 | (ignore) | (nil)    |
D-pad and L-stick movements are hard coded as directional movement, so can't be reassigned.
Old 03-06-2022, 05:52 AM   #118
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
D-pad and L-stick movements are hard coded as directional movement, so can't be reassigned.
Yes, they can.

That all comes out of /system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl like everything.
I haven't played with them, but the joysticks are at the end of that file.
Most certainly the D pad can be make anything that you like.
You can even add a 10 key numeric pad and use it for non-numeric.

You want to make your own VID/PID specific keylayout.
You can make different peripherals respond differently as long as they are not the exact same device.
Old 03-06-2022, 02:01 PM   #119
mergen3107
Wizard

Quote:
Screensavers were manually copied to /data/local/assets/ and given 777 permission. The images must be rotated 90deg CCW w.r.t up-right position (i.e. their top side is aligned with the screen's left edge) to properly draw on the lockscreen.
There has been an update to FW 3.1 on Feb 10 2022 at the Onyx website. On this FW, the CCW rotation for screensavers is no longer needed. Only the shutdown image must be rotated.

Last edited by mergen3107; 03-10-2022 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-11-2022, 03:09 AM   #120
mergen3107
Wizard

Hmm, so weird. Looks like Onyx has broken bootloader commands in the recent update. Unless it was me who did something stupid. I cannot do "fastboot flash boot boot.img" anymore. Right after this command, fastboot gets disconnected and I have to restart the device with power button. I still can access edl and replace boot partition there.

I am not sure when did this start, before or after update. I remember doing "fastboot flashing lock" to lock it, but doing unlock works OK as it seems.