Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-18-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Two clicks when pressing next/prev button

I decided to grab a Forma since I’ve missed the larger screen of my old PRS-950. So far, it shows how far Kobo has come on the software side, but the hardware side could be better to catch up to Amazon.

But there’s one issue I wanted to check with folks about before I attempt a replacement, since I bought directly from Kobo, and so I’m expecting 2 weeks or more to send it back and get a replacement.

One of the next/prev buttons gets “stuck”. Especially if I just used the other button, so as I press on the button, it “clicks” as it gets unstuck, and then clicks again as it presses. The other button works fine.

Does anyone else have this sort of problem with their device? I’m wondering if I should even expect a replacement to fix this or not, since Kobo did put the buttons on a sort of lever/see-saw which leads to these sorts of issues (which is why almost nobody does this), so it is hard to tell if I’m just unlucky or this is a general design flaw with the model.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I would return it while you still can. If it was a used device I would say try to clean gunk and grunge around the button with rubbing alcohol and cotton buds but a new device should not need that.
Maybe run the end of a pin around the button edges in case it's purely a mechanical catching on the frame ?
You could of course sit and press buttons a few thousand times to see if it gets better or worse, if you have the patience. I read somewhere that kobo buttons get less stiff when used a lot

As for design flaw, Google may have images of opened mechanisms to inspect, rather then open up your new one and maybe affect warranty
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
JJ Johnson
Connoisseur
JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
I mentioned in another post that the two buttons on my new Libra feel very different. Neither one gets stuck, but one feels fine, has a noticeable amount of travel and a good solid 'click', while the other button is mushy and doesn't have much travel.

Seems like the quality of the buttons might be a weak spot with Kobo.
JJ Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:48 PM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Johnson View Post
I mentioned in another post that the two buttons on my new Libra feel very different. Neither one gets stuck, but one feels fine, has a noticeable amount of travel and a good solid 'click', while the other button is mushy and doesn't have much travel.

Seems like the quality of the buttons might be a weak spot with Kobo.
Yeah, in my case it is the same as your Libra. One feels good, the other is a bit mushy (when it isn't also getting stuck because I pressed the good one).

It's sad to hear that your Libra also has that feeling, since it should be improved over the Forma. At the very least, the "hinge" should be better kept in place by the Libra's case, which should help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
As for design flaw, Google may have images of opened mechanisms to inspect, rather then open up your new one and maybe affect warranty
My question was partly to see if it was common enough that I'd just be playing a lottery with a replacement. I guess not this particular problem?

The design flaw is using a single piece and expecting it to flex on the ends while remaining rigid in the middle without adequate support, IMO. With good tolerances it shouldn't pose a problem in the real world, but with anything related to tolerances, a single sample doesn't tell you much.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #5
dow
Addict
dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-505
Both buttons seem fine on my Forma. I'd recommend talking to Kobo about an exchange.
dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert