Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-01-2019, 07:20 AM   #1
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
[Metadata Source Plugin] Smashwords

This plugin gets the metadata for books from Smashwords.

Main Features
  • Can retrieve title, author, comments, publisher, publication date, language, series, tags and covers.
  • The identifier used is "smashwords". It will show in the details as "Smashwords".

Special Notes:
  • It retrieves the full size covers that are displayed when clicking on the cover when viewing the book. The usually have a height of 2200px.
  • Smashwords shows a category. This can have multiple values and levels. I haven't decided what to do with this yet.
  • For the series, Smashwords has both an index and what they call "custom_membership_statement". The latter seems to be descriptive text for where the book in the series. As an example, one book had this as "Volume 0.5", but the series index was "1". The plugin attempts to get the series index from the "custom_membership_statement".

Installation Notes:
  • Download the attached zip file and install the plugin as described in the Introduction to plugins thread.
  • Note that this is not a GUI plugin so it is not intended/cannot be added to context menus/toolbars etc.

Configuration:
  • Use long description: If this is checked, then long description shown when pressing "More" at the end of the description is used.

Version History:
Spoiler:
Version 1.0.2 - 20 September 2019
  • Fix: Small site change.
  • Update: Changes for Python 3 support in calibre.
Version 1.0.0 - 23 March 2019
  • New: Everything. Initial release.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SmashwordsMetaData.zip (8.2 KB, 63144 views)

Last edited by davidfor; 09-20-2020 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Release version 1.0.2
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:20 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[Reserved for later use.]
Advert
Old 02-03-2019, 03:59 PM   #3
MCBastos
Enthusiast
MCBastos began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy A71
I tried it (and I'm very grateful for someone to be working on this), but it does not seem to really work. I tried searching for metadata on several books that I know for a fact are in Smashwords, and Calibre retrieved metadata from all sorts of sources (Amazon, B&N, Goodreads...) but not Smashwords. Even if I manually add the book's Smashwords ID, it fails to find any metadata.
OTOH, clicking on the link for the manually-added Smashwords ID does open the correct Smashwords page. So that part at least works.
MCBastos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:31 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Can you give me some examples where it failed? I need to look at them to work out why it failed to find the book.

One common reason for not finding the right book is if the title is too common. The plugin is only using the title for the search. And only looks at the first page of the results. For a common title, there can be a lot of books found, and, the one you want is always the last one.

I will have another look at this. When I was developing it, adding the author didn't help the results. But, I just did a test on the site, and it did help. Maybe they have changed the search.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:52 AM   #5
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
@davidfor
This issue is related to your comment in file __init__.py (lines 68-83).

Because there is already an Smashwords Metadata.json config file on your system - you do not see this issue.

Delete config file and check again -- the plugin does not download ANY data.

Spoiler:
Code:
Plugin Smashwords Metadata failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\identify.py", line 48, in run
  File "calibre_plugins.smashwordsmetadata.__init__", line 217, in identify
  File "calibre_plugins.smashwordsmetadata.worker", line 37, in __init__
  File "calibre_plugins.smashwordsmetadata.__init__", line 91, in category_handling
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\config.py", line 421, in __getitem__
KeyError: u'category_handling'
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2019, 08:30 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Well, that's embarrassing. I wonder if it explains why no one has commented before on the plugin.

Anyway, I have fixed this problem, and an error in handling ISBNs. The first post has been updated.

If there are any issues, please report them here.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #7
MCBastos
Enthusiast

It now seems to be working.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For me, the major issue with this plug-in is that it is very enthused about returning books with no matching on the author. For instance, I picked up Connections in Death by J. D. Robb, added it to calibre and did a metadata update. There were 11 items returned. Two of them were for Connections in Death, the other 9 were books with Connections as the title by 9 different authors. Testing on various other books gives the same over-enthused results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample metadata search.png
Views:	452
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	169514  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:57 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Just posted another beta that should fix that. I wasn't checking the author at a good point, so it was getting far to many results if there wasn't a good match.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Very nice plugin, thank you! I buy from Smashwords quite often and always had to download the hi-res covers manually, because they didn't come with the files.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:16 AM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Just posted another beta that should fix that. I wasn't checking the author at a good point, so it was getting far to many results if there wasn't a good match.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Any notable changes between the last beta and the release version?
Old 03-23-2019, 08:38 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

The released version has no function changes. I just removed most of the logging.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:05 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Update to version 1.0.2 - calibre v5 compatibility

I have just release version 1.0.2 of this plugin. This is basically for calibre version 5. It will still be compatible with older versions of calibre.

The changes are:
  • Fix: Small site change.
  • Update: Changes for Python 3 support in calibre.

Calibre will announce the availability of the update in the next hour or so. If there are any issues, please report them here.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-20-2020 at 05:35 AM. Reason: I can't spell.
Old 04-29-2023, 03:43 PM   #15
MCBastos
Enthusiast

Is this plugin in need of an update? I can't get Calibre to download metadata from Smashwords *even when I supply the Smashwords ID*.