Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #1
indiecognition
indiecognition began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage (WiFi)
Question Suddenly can't run KUAL on Paperwhite 3

I have a Kindle Paperwhite 3 WiFi (7th gen) that's been jailbroken since I got it. Serial G090...

I've always been able to run KUAL, until the last week or two. I tried to open it, and get the following error:

"Application Error
The selected application could not be started. Please try again."

My Kindle is currently running firmware version 5.9.2.0.1

I was definitely able to run KUAL with 5.9.2 as recently as last month. Although after the last Kindle firmware update I had to run the hotfix and reapply the KUAL update.

Right now, the hotfix will run, but the KUAL won't run (I transfer the .bin to my Kindle, but the "Update Your Kindle" option grays out).

Is there any hope to get KUAL back? I know I should've prevented updates, but since I was already jailbroken and never had issues before I didn't do it.

Thanks!

Last edited by indiecognition; 01-09-2018 at 06:42 PM.
indiecognition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiecognition View Post
I have a Kindle Paperwhite 3 WiFi (7th gen) that's been jailbroken since I got it. Serial G090...

I've always been able to run KUAL, until the last week or two. I tried to open it, and get the following error:

"Application Error
The selected application could not be started. Please try again."

My Kindle is currently running firmware version 5.9.2.0.1

I was definitely able to run KUAL with 5.9.2 as recently as last month. Although after the last Kindle firmware update I had to run the hotfix and reapply the KUAL update.

Right now, the hotfix will run, but the KUAL won't run (I transfer the .bin to my Kindle, but the "Update Your Kindle" option grays out).

Is there any hope to get KUAL back? I know I should've prevented updates, but since I was already jailbroken and never had issues before I didn't do it.

Thanks!
Have you reinstalled KUAL?
One works, one doesn't.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2018, 07:13 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
UYK (Update (Your Kindle)) is used to install Amazon packages.
KUAL is a mobileread package, use MrPI to install it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
indiecognition

I've tried deleting the KUAL booklet, and copying it onto the kindle again, and running the KUAL install .bin, but neither works. I can run the Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_nomax_install.bin that helped me get KUAL back last month, but after that nothing seems to work.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've tried deleting the KUAL booklet, and copying it onto the kindle again, and running the KUAL install .bin, but neither works. I can run the Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_nomax_install.bin that helped me get KUAL back last month, but after that nothing seems to work.
You MUST use MrPI (Mobileread Package Installer) to install MR packages.

The so-called 'hotfix' package you mention is a specialized package for those who could not keep their finger away from the "Reset" menu entry.
Being a "repair my broken Kindle" package, it has different requirements.
Advert
Old 01-09-2018, 07:28 PM   #6
indiecognition

Thanks for the replies.

knc1, could you please point me to a good MrPI installer for my paperwhite? In the past I'd use MR package installer from inside KUAL, so I'm not sure about the correct process right now.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

search bar, enter:
;log mrpi

Directions are in Step #8 of the jb post.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
UYK (Update (Your Kindle)) is used to install Amazon packages.
KUAL is a mobileread package, use MrPI to install it.

why do you need to have something to install amazon product onto an amazon product?????
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:03 PM   #9
indiecognition

knc1,
Thanks so much! I'd already placed the linkss and python installers for the screensaver hack into the mrpackages folder on my Kindle. So when I did the ";log mrpi" command, they installed. After that I figured I'd just do the same with the KUAL installer, and it worked. (I had trouble finding the log file to read, but since everything worked that doesn't matter anymore.)

What's the best way to prevent any further updates going forward? I've seen stuff about a backdoor hack or just creating a special update folder...do I do one/the other, or both? Or is there a better way for recent firmware versions?

Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #10
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I had to actually run the kual uninstall.bin file to remove kual and run the install.bin to get kual working again after the update(via ;log mrpi)
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
why do you need to have something to install amazon product onto an amazon product?????
They are "idiot proof" packages.
Both "model locked" (they will not install on a model they are not intended for) and they are cyptographically signed to give some protection from malicious packages.

In general, the same with our packages -
With a copy of exceptions (which you can read about in my posts to coplate's thread).

(Both Amazon and Mobileread packages where intended to use the same (Amazon provided) installer. Back in the days before Amazon blocked the installation of our packages with their installer.)

Last edited by knc1; 01-09-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:10 PM   #12
indiecognition

Don't want to nag, but not sure if you missed the question in my last reply: what's the best way to prevent automatic updates on the PW3?

Thank you!
Old 01-10-2018, 07:39 AM   #13
DaAppleMan
DaAppleMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Don't want to nag, but not sure if you missed the question in my last reply: what's the best way to prevent automatic updates on the PW3?

Thank you!
You have 2 options.

1) Airplane mode and never connect it to the internet.
2) Create a folder in the root of the kindle called update.bin.tmp.partial
DaAppleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

Thank you!
I did not miss it.
"Best" is subjective and I don't know what is in your mind.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #15
indiecognition

Thanks for the help, everybody!

I'd read other posts on the topic of blocking updates that said that sticking to Airplane Mode was the only sure way. But they mentioned other methods like the directory that work to varying degrees depending on firmware (and what developers had figured out most recently).

I'll create the directory, and then stay in Airplane Mode except for quick book syncs.

Thanks again!

Tags
hotfix, jailbreak, kual