Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-18-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
raym777
raym777 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Can Jail Break be completel removed?

I got to know that if I want narrower margin I have to jail break my kindle PW2 and install some patch.

If after I do this I decide I dont want this and want to go back to original state of my kindle can I do that??
that is remove jailbreak and patch completely and return to original conndition
raym777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:11 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can uninstall any hacks, yes. Although the jailbreak specifically is harmless -- and if you uninstall it you may get locked out. We don't (yet) have a jailbreak for fw>=5.6.0 .

IOW, you don't need to uninstall the jailbreak.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #3
raym777
raym777 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You can uninstall any hacks, yes. Although the jailbreak specifically is harmless -- and if you uninstall it you may get locked out. We don't (yet) have a jailbreak for fw>=5.6.0 .

IOW, you don't need to uninstall the jailbreak.
locked out of where??

I am confused.Is it possible to remove jailbreak or not?

I know that 5.6.0 cannot be jailbroken.
So I keep mine in airplane mode so it does not update.
raym777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:21 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is no harm in keeping the jailbreak, thus I advise keeping it -- that way, if you get hit by the firmware update, you are still jailbroken, rather than being locked out of (potentially) ever jailbreaking your Kindle if you change your mind.

But yes, you can remove the jailbreak. I do not know why anyone would want to, but the jailbreak comes with an uninstall.bin in case you really want it.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:01 AM   #5
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
FWIW, I don't think Amazon has denied anyone warranty because they jail broke their kindle. Of course I don't know what they'll do if you call them and say I bricked my kindle while modding it, can you send me a replacement
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2014, 01:24 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

They will lose their opportunity to remain happily oblivious in the Land Of Not-Caring.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:56 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Kindle dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote