Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-17-2016, 04:20 AM   #1
dalin
dalin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
is there a kindle os port for kobo?

I have a kobo aura HD. but it is not good as kindle for some reason:
1. Kindle has a Chinese bookstore where I can buy Chinese book while kobo not.
2. 'Send to kindle' is very convenient to copy books to the device while kobo not.
dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:40 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
(Why did you put "kindle paperwhite" into your profile as your device, if you have a Kobo Aura HD? Odd.)

Are you looking for workarounds, or something else? Perhaps you should sell it and buy a Kindle.

Meanwhile, you can buy your books from anywhere that sells ADE or non-DRM epubs, you're not locked in to the Kobo store. If you buy from Amazon, you'll need to strip any DRM, then convert the format with Calibre; I don't know if there are any pitfalls doing this with Chinese books, but it works perfectly for all of the English books I've come across.

There are a number of ways to get books onto your Kobo. You can simply drag and drop them from your computer when connected with the cable, you can add them with ADE or Calibre, you can put your book on a cloud service and download it from there, or you can use the Calibre Content Server to transfer them wirelessly.

Last edited by meeera; 02-17-2016 at 04:45 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 04:46 AM   #3
NuPogodi
Connoisseur
NuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle 3, Tolino Shine, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Perhaps you should sell it and buy a Kindle.
...or run android on kobo (if exists for your Kobo book) with the kindle app for android
NuPogodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:49 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuPogodi View Post
...or run android on kobo (if exists for your Kobo book) with the kindle app for android
That's not exactly plug-and-play on the Aura HD yet, is it?
Old 02-17-2016, 05:04 AM   #5
dalin
dalin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
(Why did you put "kindle paperwhite" into your profile as your device, if you have a Kobo Aura HD? Odd.)

Are you looking for workarounds, or something else? Perhaps you should sell it and buy a Kindle.

Meanwhile, you can buy your books from anywhere that sells ADE or non-DRM epubs, you're not locked in to the Kobo store. If you buy from Amazon, you'll need to strip any DRM, then convert the format with Calibre; I don't know if there are any pitfalls doing this with Chinese books, but it works perfectly for all of the English books I've come across.

There are a number of ways to get books onto your Kobo. You can simply drag and drop them from your computer when connected with the cable, you can add them with ADE or Calibre, you can put your book on a cloud service and download it from there, or you can use the Calibre Content Server to transfer them wirelessly.
I had a kindle paperwhite before and sold it after I got a kobo aura HD.
I bought kobo aura HD for it has a bigger screen and better resolution.
And yes, there are a number of ways to get books onto my Kobo. I am looking for a *better* way. A way I don't need a computer or with a computer but asynchronously.
dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 05:24 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalin View Post
I had a kindle paperwhite before and sold it after I got a kobo aura HD.
I bought kobo aura HD for it has a bigger screen and better resolution.
And yes, there are a number of ways to get books onto my Kobo. I am looking for a *better* way. A way I don't need a computer or with a computer but asynchronously.
The Content Server (if you can leave your computer up) or a cloud service can both be used asynchronously.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:33 AM   #7
NuPogodi
Connoisseur
NuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle 3, Tolino Shine, Kobo Glo
Quote:
That's not exactly plug-and-play on the Aura HD yet, is it?
Though I possess kobo glo & tolino shine (both rooted & android equipped), I have not yet tested the booting from external SD (suggested by Angor for Aura HD).
NuPogodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #8
JazzyJ
JazzyJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I suppose there are a few debates regarding OS on an e-reader:

1) Looks
2) Efficiency - page turns, smoothness, speed, resolution etc
3) Features - menus, Toc, sizes, etc
4) Formats it supports (epub, mobi, pdf etc)
5) Import / Export - how to buy, load, get. etc books.

Personally my main thing is features! I do everything I need to the book in Calibre and get the book into the e-reader however is necessary. My issue is with the lack of readability with expandable TOC's in most OS's.

I would say that if you have a computer, then that is a great help in organising your e-reader. If you want to be 'self sufficient' with an e-reader then wireless and digital book store accounts etc are going to be much more important.
JazzyJ is offline   Reply With Quote