Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 06-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #2236
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
If Jules Verne had written the The Three Musketeers, it probably would have been some awesome Steampunk. Maybe that last movie (2011) would have been better.
I suspect the original poster knows that Dumas wrote the Three Musketeers and was conflating an earlier thread about the best translation of Jules Verne books with this thread.

When I was a kid, I had no idea that my beloved Jules Verne books were originally written in French.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #2237
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Finished up Weber's Worlds at War series with Insurrection in my commute listen. Steve White, David Weber's co-author in these books wrote some sequels to these books, but I never got around to reading those. Marc Vietor, the narrator does a good job.

Also just finishing up Raymond Feist's Magician, narrated by Nicholas Guy Smith. That's my work listen. Also very good.

As is my habit, I'm going with something lighter next for my commute listen. Mercedes Lackey's Heralds of Valdemar series, starting with Arrows of the Queen. As I mentioned in a different thread, I bought a version of this audio book some years ago, but they never released the other two. They just re-released the series with a new narrator, Christa Lewis. The reviews give this one a 4.8 out of 5.0, and say that they like the new narrator better than the previous one (Carole Edie Smith).
I'm about one hour into the Arrow of the Queen book. The narrator is much, much better, all though I would say that I never really would have connected an Irish accent with the Holder kin. But hey, it really works well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2018, 06:53 AM   #2238
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I just finished Our Hearts Were Young and Gay: An Unforgettable Comic Chronicle of Innocents Abroad in the 1920s by Cornelia Otis Skinner and Emily Kimbrough.

This memoir was a best seller in 1942 and its easy to see why. Fresh out of college Cornelia and Emily embark on a tour of Europe in the early 1920s with many adventures and mishaps. Recommended.

https://www.audible.com/pd/Bios-Memo...ook/B002VAGNH6
BenG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:04 PM   #2239
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I just finished Our Hearts Were Young and Gay: An Unforgettable Comic Chronicle of Innocents Abroad in the 1920s by Cornelia Otis Skinner and Emily Kimbrough.

This memoir was a best seller in 1942 and its easy to see why. Fresh out of college Cornelia and Emily embark on a tour of Europe in the early 1920s with many adventures and mishaps. Recommended.

This is on my all-time list of funniest books I've ever read. I didn't know there was an audiobook; from time to time I check to see if there's an ebook, but no joy.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #2240
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
This is on my all-time list of funniest books I've ever read. I didn't know there was an audiobook; from time to time I check to see if there's an ebook, but no joy.
You might want to check Open Library. They often have scanned OCR versions of physical books from public libraries. They're unedited, so you'll need to do cleanup. But you can get to 90% clean with just a few well chosen edits, if my experiences with the Modesty Blaise books are any indication. (REGEX edits in the Calibre book editor are your friend here!)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2018, 05:17 AM   #2241
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
You might want to check Open Library. They often have scanned OCR versions of physical books from public libraries. They're unedited, so you'll need to do cleanup. But you can get to 90% clean with just a few well chosen edits, if my experiences with the Modesty Blaise books are any indication. (REGEX edits in the Calibre book editor are your friend here!)
I've added it to my Audible wishlist. Can't find an ebook version.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #2242
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A bit of trivia.
This is Cornelia Otis Skinner (standing) with Gail Russell together in a scene from the 1944 movie The Uninvited.
Ms. Russell portrayed her co-star in the movie version of Our Hearts Were Young And Gay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MV5BY2RlNzg4ODktYWZiYy00MDhkLWI3M2MtNzdkYzU1ZGRmNjJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE2NzA0Ng@@._V1_.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	164534  
Old 06-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #2243
BenG
Home Guard

Quote:
Open Library only has the DAISY format which I think is audio.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #2244
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I believe that to not be correct. I'm on hold for at least one that looks like it's a scanned PDF & OCR'd ePub version. (It's always hard to tell with them, I admit.)
Old 06-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #2245
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:

I read this long ago; thanks for reminding me of it. I just checked out the audiobook through Overdrive.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #2246
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I believe that to not be correct. I'm on hold for at least one that looks like it's a scanned PDF & OCR'd ePub version. (It's always hard to tell with them, I admit.)
Having just gotten my loan from them, I can confirm that Open Library provides both scanned PDF and OCR'd ePub. The OCR is unedited and has the usual level of crud.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:49 PM   #2247
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I was disappointed in The Lying Game, and Mrs. Westaway was so much better. I'm a fan of Imogen Church, and her narration is excellent.

Something in the Water is on my wish list at Audible, but I'm waiting to see if my library will get it. I'll be interested to know how you like it once you're done.
I finished both of these books. I agree The Lying Game was a disappointment and am happy that Mrs. Westaway was back on top form!

I have mixed feelings about Something in the Water. It was good for a debut, and I'll definitely read the next book that she publishes. The narration was excellent with the exception of an annoying tin-can sound effect every time there was a phone conversation. The storyline was in some ways unique and in other ways predictable. It was a slow-building suspense novel. What I didn't like was it's told from the perspective of one main character who could be irritating at times. The plot advancement was dependent on the character making decisions that I didn't think were always believable!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #2248
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I have mixed feelings about Something in the Water. It was good for a debut, and I'll definitely read the next book that she publishes. The narration was excellent with the exception of an annoying tin-can sound effect every time there was a phone conversation. The storyline was in some ways unique and in other ways predictable. It was a slow-building suspense novel. What I didn't like was it's told from the perspective of one main character who could be irritating at times. The plot advancement was dependent on the character making decisions that I didn't think were always believable!
Thanks--it sounds like a book I should borrow rather than buy.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #2249
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Currently listening to Provenance, by Ann Leckie. She's won every SF award out there in the last few years, and it's well deserved. Such a pleasure to listen to SF that isn't male-centric.

If you haven't ever read (or listened to) anything by her, start with Ancillary Justice.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #2250
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
<never mind....not funny enough to warrant the backlash from the humorless P.C. types.>

Last edited by ApK; 06-21-2018 at 03:40 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations