Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2019, 06:14 AM   #1
Zandarck
Zandarck began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
New router leading to server sync issues.

Hi, I don't know if this the the correct place to post but I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I have recently installed a new modem to get away from using my IPS's router, my original set-up was using the ISP router as a "modem" (I had to double NAT) to my own router, my Kobo and Android app had no issues syncing with the servers with this set-up but now that I have change out the ISP router to my own modem my Kobo can no longer sync with the servers.

The desktop app (PC is wired into the router) allows me to sync and browse the store but the Android app and my Kobo will not allow me to sync or browse the store and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I have also tried the Kobo app via BlueStacks and that syncs correctly too, it just appears to be on my wireless network.

Any help is much appreciated.

Kind regards

Zandarck
Zandarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:18 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
The first question is, does the ereader connect? And can the browser reach the internet?
If it does not connect at all, then the problem is probably that it cannot reach www.kobo.com. The device fetches a page from there to check if it can connect and if you are using a hotspot. If it fails, the it disconnects from WiFi. If the device cannot see that, then something is blocking it.

Can the Android device running the app reach the internet? If not, you have something else going on in the router.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
Zandarck

Yes both my Kobo and my phone connect to the internet and I am able to browse everything using the Kobo browser including the Kobo website. I can even search the Kobo store from my e-reader but it just won't sync.

I figured it might be something router related but I can't figure out what. Sadly Netgear don't allow you to tinker with the firewall, but then again the PC and BlueStacks can access their respected stores due to being wired...
Old 01-22-2019, 01:33 PM   #4
ReaLx3m
Connoisseur
ReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandarck View Post
Yes both my Kobo and my phone connect to the internet and I am able to browse everything using the Kobo browser including the Kobo website. I can even search the Kobo store from my e-reader but it just won't sync.

I figured it might be something router related but I can't figure out what. Sadly Netgear don't allow you to tinker with the firewall, but then again the PC and BlueStacks can access their respected stores due to being wired...
Might be port issue, maybe @davidfor can provide info what ports does kobo sync use and then you forward those to your ereader ip.
ReaLx3m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:18 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaLx3m View Post
Might be port issue, maybe @davidfor can provide info what ports does kobo sync use and then you forward those to your ereader ip.
Sync is just over standard HTTPS. So, port 443. I don't know if there is any plain HTTP still happening. A lot of the URLs are listed in the "OneStoraServices" section of the config file. The firmware check URL isn't there, but it is https://api.kobobooks.com. But, the firmware file will actually come from an Akamai server. As will cover images, and I think, the actual books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2019, 10:42 PM   #6
ReaLx3m
Connoisseur
ReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueReaLx3m can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

@zandarck since its https it could also be a certificate issue, check if your date is setup correctly, since i seen dates outside of cert validity give problems on many devices. Might work for you

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2019, 05:05 AM   #7
Zandarck

Hi all!

Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestion, after a few days of searching and testing I managed to find the issue! I lowered my MTU to its optimal setting (1400 in my case...) and this solved the issue. Turns out the MTU was also screwing with a bunch of other services when I was on WiFi.

Thanks again!
Old 01-27-2019, 01:53 PM   #8
ReaLx3m
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandarck View Post
Hi all!

Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestion, after a few days of searching and testing I managed to find the issue! I lowered my MTU to its optimal setting (1400 in my case...) and this solved the issue. Turns out the MTU was also screwing with a bunch of other services when I was on WiFi.

Thanks again!
Glad you figured it out. And thanks for sharing your solution, might come in handy in the arsenal of solutions