Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-09-2019, 03:43 AM   #16
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I often find fiction thought provoking. For example, I'm re-reading my favourite novel, "A Fine and Private Place" by Peter Beagle. I first read this about 30 years ago. Reading it when death is closer at hand changes the meaning, and I find myself frequently pausing and thinking about the ideas.

I do this pausing and thinking far more now when reading fiction, even when reading something like The Travelling Cat Chronicles. Maybe I've developed a more philosophical mind (Philosophy was one of the minor subjects I studied at Uni many years ago) or maybe it's just an excuse to pause and fuss a cat!

Bye the way, I would recommend that the OP reads Time Enough At Last by Lyn Venables. I think it's available on Project Gutenberg.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:36 PM   #17
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I went 20 years without reading mainly because I do not like the feel of books in my hands. I took a chance and bought the 2010 Nook and my reading took off. My first ebooks was The Inheritance Cycle and then the dark tower series. I broke my record and read around 37 books last year.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #18
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I sent my kids to public schools but also did home school to repair the damage. One thing I taught was, "There is often more truth in fiction than in non-fiction."

Boy, did I luck out. I ordered my Paperwhite 4 delivered to my sister's house back when they first came out. She brought it to me in Mexico on the 13th. I immediately compared it to my two Paperwhite 3 Kindles. My Paperwhite 4 is brighter than my PW3 Kindles which is to be expected since it has more LEDs. The screen sharpness is the same for my Paperwhite4 and the PW3s. And, after three days of reading I asked others to look for fingerprints and they saw no, zero, fingerprints. This on a device described as a "fingerprint magnet."

I've had no more problem with tapping my PW4 than I did with my PW3. That means the page turn is 95% accurate but selecting menu items requires multiple taps fairly often. I don't know if the taps aren't being registered or I'm just too impatient.

So, thanks Kindle and Amazon for an excellent ereader at a fair price and an incredible selection of books.

Last edited by patrickt; 01-17-2019 at 08:45 AM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #19
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I am a big believer that there is as much truth in fiction as nonfiction. I am really not sure if there is really such a thing as a nonfiction book.
In any event, back to the original post.
When I am in a comfortable chair and in my own home I love reading a good hardcover book. But my kindle let me carry my library wherever I go. I can much more easily jump from book to book and buy a new book while on a two week cruise if I have my kindle. You just can’t drag your personal library every where you go . But if when I buy a book on kindle andit is one of my best books of the year I often burly the physical book and add it to my library at home, kind of as a trophy.
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:47 PM   #20
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
A. I have no idea. I don't keep track of the numbers that seem so important to you.
B. I recommended a book to a friend and he stuck his nose up and said, "I don't have time for fiction. I only read non-fiction; the Bible." His reading is his business.
C. I taught my children that there is often more truth in fiction than in non-fiction.
D. When I was working my reading was 95% work related and was non-fiction. When I quit working it flipped and 95% of my reading is fiction.
E. I enjoy reading books written by people from other cultures and set their culture. Some are foreign and some are cultures in the U.S. that are foreign to me.
F. So, I can't answer your question about whether or not my reading is worthy.
I never used to read non fiction but lately have been reading that genre steadily. I agree that there can often be a lot of truth in fiction though.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #21
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
I never used to read non fiction but lately have been reading that genre steadily. I agree that there can often be a lot of truth in fiction though.
And a lot of fiction in non fiction.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote