Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Page turn holding Kobo with left hand

I have a problem. I like to turn pages by tapping. However, when I hold the Kobo (an Aura HD) with my left hand, I have to reach across to the right side of the screen to turn to the next page. Very awkward.

Ideally I would like to be able to turn to the next page by tapping anywhere on the screen, and turning back to the previous page by a back swipe.

Is there any way to do this? I am using Nickel. I don't wish to use Koreader or Coolreader.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
You can set page control to second to the right see pic.
if tap in left side it go next page, if swipe ltr it go page back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	7744
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	142798  
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for posting the image. The only one that comes close to what I want is the fourth option, and in that case, only the lower third of the screen does a next page. I don't hold the device at the bottom. My thumb tends to be in the middle or in the upper third of the screen, so it looks awkward. Shame they don't have the option where the forward page zone is in the top third. But I'll give it a try.

Previous page is rarely used, and yet it gets almost the same emphasis in the choice of Nickel page control options as forward page. No way to customize it I suppose?
Old 10-12-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why not use the third option?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Ideally I would like to be able to turn to the next page by tapping anywhere on the screen, and turning back to the previous page by a back swipe.
The third option is Ideally for you.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #6
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
I'm with Rizla. I've wanted a fifth option for a long time -- tap anywhere for page forward and relegate page back to only swiping. But I don't think it's going to happen!
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not use the third option?
Because if I swap hands (which I do a lot), then the configuration becomes suddenly unworkable. Now I have to reach over to the far side of the screen to change a page. I'm back at square one. I need a configuration that will work no matter what hand I am holding the device in, an ambidextrous setting.

One alternative way of dealing with it would be if there was a fast way to swap configurations. But if I have to go back to the home screen, choose options, go to configuration for screen, choose the new option...Well, it's less than user-friendly. Oh, and then ten minutes later, I want to change hands again...

Initially I was using Coolreader to get round this, but I want to use Nickel and its font options.

Last edited by Rizla; 10-12-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:36 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My suggestion is to do what I do. I don't tap. I swap. I can use either hand on either side of the screen and I can turn the page back or forward no problem. I got used to swiping using a Sony Reader PRS-650. Also by swiping, you get less fingerprints and you can swipe off dust and other stuff on screen. Swiping has many more advantages to tapping.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:08 PM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm with Jon on this--coming from a Sony PRS-650 and PRS-350 I'm used to swiping. Swiping right to left anywhere on the screen moves the page forward and the opposite (left to right) moves one page backward. In my opinion, swiping is as efficient as tapping and since it can be done anywhere on the screen you don't have to worry about tap zones. YMMV of course.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:01 PM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I agree about swiping as well (previous PRS-350). But I do know a lot of people don't like to swipe, and that's perfectly fine that they want to tap and do it their way. Swipers won't convince tappers to change anymore than tappers will convince swipers to change how they turn pages.

I don't know how it could be made better though for tappers than the 4th option, and all ereaders without physical buttons have the same limitation when it comes to tapping. I switch hands holding the reader often, I think everyone does. Swiping just always seemed to be a natural movement for a page turn for me (although it definitely takes a larger more deliberate swipe on the Kobo than the Sonys did).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:08 PM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired

I also owned a 650. With prs+ I was able to tap or swipe and it also had buttons. The navigational controls under nickel are much inferior to the old 650 and are woefully inadequate. It doesnt help that the Aura HD touchscreen is not very sensitive. Im Dissapointed in this aspect of the Kobo. There appears to be no way round it.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #12
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I don't know how it could be made better though for tappers than the 4th option, and all ereaders without physical buttons have the same limitation when it comes to tapping.
I use a rooted nook st with reading apps like coolreader and alreader. I am able to configure touch navigation how I want. It is far more configurable than nickel. So no, not all ereaders without buttons have the same limitation. This is a limitation in nickel.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:27 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
One alternative way of dealing with it would be if there was a fast way to swap configurations. But if I have to go back to the home screen, choose options, go to configuration for screen, choose the new option...Well, it's less than user-friendly. Oh, and then ten minutes later, I want to change hands again...
You don't have to go back to the home screen. Tap the screen to bring up the menu bars, tap the menu icon in the bottom right and select the settings option. Not ideal, but quicker than going to the home page.

Also, the general settings is available from the top right menu icon.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #14
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post

....I don't know how it could be made better though for tappers than the 4th option, and all ereaders without physical buttons have the same limitation when it comes to tapping. .
The 4th option, as Rizla said, only covers about the bottom third of the screen for page forward. If you hold your reader higher (or shift your grip at any time), you're out of luck. If the 4th option had about 2/3rds of the screen for page forward that would be a reasonable compromise for those who still want a tap option for page backward.

Check out MoonReader+, the best-selling ereader on Android. Highly configurable, including tap anywhere for page forward.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:47 PM   #15
Rizla
Member Retired

And coolreader and alreader...Anyway, thanks for the tips.