Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

View Poll Results: are you thinking along similar lines?
yes. i use this feature. 0 0%
yes. i want this feature added. 2 50.00%
no. but i understand it's usefulness. 1 25.00%
no. and i think it has little or no use 0 0%
there is a better way to do it. 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2014, 12:27 AM   #1
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
Thumbs up save multiple search/replace, or search/replace multiple ebooks

Can i do one of the following? (if yes how?)
  • save about five "search and replace"s. then do them all at once to any ebook later (- preferred).
  • do one "search and replace" on many ebooks at once. (- not preferred, I'm worried it will take forever, or calibre will stop responding.)
  • add saved "search and replace"s to my default import preferences so they will be dune automaticy, or upon choosing a option. (i'd prefer this, if it's not to complicating.)
in advance.
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:22 AM   #2
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
1. - Yes. It's so handy!! You just select them together (normal and/or regex modes are OK).
I think however that they must apply to the same fields (styles or current file or all texts, etc.) but this needs to be confirmed (did not try).

Last edited by roger64; 03-30-2014 at 01:26 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2014, 06:50 AM   #3
tempura
Connoisseur
tempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle PW3
I don't think Search/Replace with multiple books would be necessary. But the rest I could give it a go not really sure if it is actually needed, Search/Replace are pretty fast anyway.

Last edited by tempura; 03-30-2014 at 06:53 AM.
tempura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
1. - Yes. It's so handy!! You just select them together (normal and/or regex modes are OK).
select what together? - saved search/replaces or a list of ebooks.
Quote:
I think however that they must apply to the same fields (styles or current file or all texts, etc.) but this needs to be confirmed (did not try).
"styles" meaning all css in a library, virtual library, or ebook?

"all texts" meaning my whole library, a virtual library, or all files in one ebook?
Old 03-30-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user743 View Post
select what together? - saved search/replaces or a list of ebooks.
"styles" meaning all css in a library, virtual library, or ebook?

"all texts" meaning my whole library, a virtual library, or all files in one ebook?
Hi

Thank you for your interest.

You can select several "saved searches" and play them together if they apply to the same kind of objects.
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/edit...search-replace

Last edited by roger64; 03-30-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Advert
Old 03-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
And here:

Public Service Announcement: Saved Searches are here (post #5):
Quote:
You can combine the searches just select multiple items by holding ctrl or shift while you click.
For example, say you have searches related to headers and footers. Then put the word hdr/ftr in the name for all the searches and simply type hdr/ftr in the filter to see only those searches.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #7
user743
Addict

Smile

thanks for all your help.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:43 AM   #8
user743
Addict

Thumbs up

I think I'll use jedit to search and replace multiple html files (- ebooks) in one shot, before importing them to calibre, adding css…

for the effort
Old 04-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by user743 View Post
I think I'll use jedit to search and replace multiple html files (- ebooks) in one shot, before importing them to calibre, adding css…

for the effort
Looks like a fine program and furthermore opensource and multi-platform! If you manage to perform what you wish, it would be nice of you to share here such an extended search and replace.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #10
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
When I read this, my thought was that someone would most likely do it to bowdlerize the books by, say, toning down cuss words.

I guess I'm totally out of it tonight, but why do people here want the feature?
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:13 PM   #11
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
When I read this, my thought was that someone would most likely do it to bowdlerize the books by, say, toning down cuss words.

Well, your guess is wrong because it's the morning here as far as I can see.

Let's imagine for example, introducing a new and/or popular feature (hyphenation, whatever..) in the stylesheets. Or easing a little the transition to some EPUB3 features, or [...]

Learning new tricks using a new and powerful tool seems like a good idea.

Last edited by roger64; 04-04-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:28 PM   #12
user743
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post

Lets say you have a html file, that doesn't use CSS ,or <class= "example">. but instead uses the same inline styles hundreds of times.

now try changing the text color to black (for e-ink screens) or the size of all subtitles a little smaller.

or try shortening the file size, (which also makes it easier to edit,) by placing all the styles in the head, or a CSS file.

it should work fine in any text editor. using search and replace. but not if you have 100+ files. (i'm exaggerating, but not in the way you think.)

Last edited by user743; 04-06-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:38 AM   #13
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
Transliteration is problem that can be solved with multiple search/replace.
I would use it to convert cyrillic to latin and vice versa.
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulk edit, bulk search and replace, saved search and replace, search and replace