Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 AM   #1
dizzy274
dizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Nexus 7
Using Calibre / CC to sequence series correctly.

I bought my wife a Nexus 7 for Christmas, and one of the things she wants to do with it is read ebooks.

She’s got a lot of ebooks and I want to be able to catalogue them correctly, both on the pc and the Nexus. I’ve read a lot of posts and articles and I think I’m nearly there, but there’s one thing I’m not sure about and that’s sequencing books correctly on the Nexus.

I’ve got Calibre set up as I want it, with books set up in the order: - Author / Series [Series Number] / Title and I want this order to be reflected on the Nexus. Presently my wife is using Aldiko and that doesn’t seem to be able to manage series in the same way as Calibre.

So here’s the questions:-

Will Calibre Companion enable me to replicate this sequence on the Nexus using metadata?
I’m having to put the series sequence number into the title and I don’t want to do this.

I see you can launch an ebook reader from CC, and I’m wondering which one to use. I’ve nothing against Aldiko, which is what she’s using at the moment, but I think I read somewhere that it maintains it’s own libraries, which will be unnecessary if I use CC. So what’s a reader app that is good at handling the actual books, but doesn’t try to organise them for her?

One further question related to Calibre and CC - Is it possible prevent Calibre ( and I assume CC ) from displaying the metadata “number” in brackets beside the series? I want to use the metadata number for sequencing, but I’d prefer not to see it displayed. A bit like Collectorz Book Collector’s sort order, if you’re familiar with that product.

Thank’s for reading this.
dizzy274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:35 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy274 View Post
Will Calibre Companion enable me to replicate this sequence on the Nexus using metadata?
Yes. By default you will get the Cover, Title, Author and Series info visible for each book.

Quote:
I’m having to put the series sequence number into the title and I don’t want to do this.
No need to do this with CC.

Quote:
I see you can launch an ebook reader from CC, and I’m wondering which one to use. I’ve nothing against Aldiko, which is what she’s using at the moment, but I think I read somewhere that it maintains it’s own libraries, which will be unnecessary if I use CC. So what’s a reader app that is good at handling the actual books, but doesn’t try to organise them for her?
Virtually all reading apps will allow you to manage books in the reader, but with CC it isn't needed. Launch the book and select which reader app you want to open the book in and the book will open in that reader. I use Moon+ Reader Pro, Aldiko and many others will work as well.

Quote:
One further question related to Calibre and CC - Is it possible prevent Calibre ( and I assume CC ) from displaying the metadata “number” in brackets beside the series? I want to use the metadata number for sequencing, but I’d prefer not to see it displayed.
I have no idea what you are referring to. I have never seen any number other then the series index on any reader or in any reader app I have used with calibre.

Nevermind you are obviously referring to the series index. No this number will be shown.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-28-2013 at 03:43 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I’ve got Calibre set up as I want it, with books set up in the order: - Author / Series [Series Number] / Title and I want this order to be reflected on the Nexus...

...Will Calibre Companion enable me to replicate this sequence on the Nexus using metadata?
Yes if you want Calibre Companion to display books in Author/Series&No/Title sequence you
tap SORT in the menu bar followed by
tap Title, tap Series, tap Author (i.e. fields in reverse).

This should do the trick. In general you should only need to do it once and it will be remembered between sessions. However, after I've done a CC upgrade sometimes (always???) I've noticed that the sequence has been 'forgotton' and I need to do a re-sort.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
This should do the trick. In general you should only need to do it once and it will be remembered between sessions. However, after I've done a CC upgrade sometimes (always???) I've noticed that the sequence has been 'forgotton' and I need to do a re-sort.
Losing the sort spec on update should not happen again. There was a problem with pre-2.7 CC releases that could cause this to happen.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
dizzy274
dizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfoldeddizzy274 reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Nexus 7
Thanks for the replies - I've got enough now to get going.

Thanks again.
dizzy274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert