Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 01-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
bought a .pdf book on ebay..

..and didn't have a problem converting it to an Epub. I also got it sent to both my Kindle HD 10, and Kindle 7". My problem is getting it to show up in my Kindle Reader for PC.

Here's what I've done so far.

Downloaded Calibra (and have a lot to learn about that)
Used Calibra to convert my .pdf book to epub.
It's in the "authors" tab (see attached)

I can't figure out how to get the book to show up in my Kindle for Desktop. Can someone help me? I checked with Amazon and they said they don't have emails for Desktop PC at this time so I can't just send it to my PC that way.

Thank you in advance for any help, Denise

Last edited by abbynormal52; 01-05-2019 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling errors
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The Kindle app won't read ePub, which is the first issue. It needs to be the correct format for the Kindle app.

Put it in the folder that holds your Kindle books on the computer. Or right click and use Open With...select the Kindle app.

The PC Kindle app has never had the @Kindle email address.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #3
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The Kindle app won't read ePub, which is the first issue. It needs to be the correct format for the Kindle app.

Put it in the folder that holds your Kindle books on the computer. Or right click and use Open With...select the Kindle app.

The PC Kindle app has never had the @Kindle email address.
Oh brother, I made a mistake. Forgot I didn't get that App in the Microsoft Store. I think I downloaded it from Amazon. I'll go see if it's stored somewhere else
Old 01-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
abbynormal52
Groupie

I think I'll get another "reader" that has nothing to do with Amazon. Sorry, should ask if anyone knows of a "reader" for PC that I can download/upload books I buy anywhere online?

Sure appreciate any help. Meanwhile, I know you have some threads here on "readers", pretty sure I can find some info there as well

Last edited by abbynormal52; 01-05-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
What exactly is it you're wanting to do? I think you're mixing up several different things...
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
What exactly is it you're wanting to do? I think you're mixing up several different things...
You're right, I'm not even sure where I should have posted this.

I wanted to use a "reader" like my Kindle for PC. I see the Calibre works "ok" but are there any other desktop readers I might try that have more options?
Old 01-05-2019, 02:59 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I use Freda on my Surface Pro for reading. Lots of options.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:14 PM   #8
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I use Freda on my Surface Pro for reading. Lots of options.
Apache
Oh wow, I LOVE it, never heard of it, and there were so many here on MR that I am totally grateful for your input!! I've just had way too many things on my mind today, so thank you again Apache, Denise

PS thank you as well Deskisamess, I appreciate folks replying at all, taking the time to try and help, Denise
Old 01-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops. I just realized you want to read pdf books I do not think Freda supports pdf.
Apache
Old 01-05-2019, 08:01 PM   #10
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Oops. I just realized you want to read pdf books I do not think Freda supports pdf.
Apache
It's ok Apache because I convert them to Epubs The Freda program works good, except I can't figure how to get just one column. I'll show you how my text looks in an attachment and when you have the time, you could maybe let me know what you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	for Apache.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	168868  
Old 01-05-2019, 09:26 PM   #11
Apache
Readaholic

Go to settings and scroll down to layout. Make sure text columns (landscape) and text columns ( portrait) show 1 not two. Settings is the little gear or tire shaped icon. It is on the left in main menu. In book touch the bottom right corner and the icon is 4th top left.
Apache
Old 01-05-2019, 09:52 PM   #12
abbynormal52
Groupie

Ok, will follow your direction Apache, thank you much Denise

Ok, a little harder because I'm pretty sure I have an updated Freda, and they made some changes. I found "layout" though, and then did find horizontal/vertical. I think it was Horizontal was defaulted to 2 so I changed that, and there I had it, Thank you again Apache, Denise

Last edited by abbynormal52; 01-05-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:18 AM   #13
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Go to settings and scroll down to layout. Make sure text columns (landscape) and text columns ( portrait) show 1 not two. Settings is the little gear or tire shaped icon. It is on the left in main menu. In book touch the bottom right corner and the icon is 4th top left.
Apache
Have another issue Apache, and I spent since 3:30 this a.m. trying to find the answer in Windows 10 info. Nothing yet so thought I would ask you. My Freda App all looks good with only one hang up. When I close the App, and reopen, it changes Window size, not position, just the size. I'll show you a couple of snips.

Sorry to bug you with this again, I hope you won't mind, Denise PS 1st snip is how I like the App to be as I read, second is how it opens each time and I have to resize it (I did look through the layout section again but didn't see anything that "saved" window size):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1st for apache.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	168872   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd for apache.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	168873  
Old 01-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #14
Apache
Readaholic

It must be a tablet or Windows 10 problem. Mine opens full size every time. I use a Surface Pro 4 Win 10. I run Calibre and my Calibre Library on a USB Flash Drive with Freda as my default reader. When I select a book to read in Calibre it opens in Freda. I do not see any settings in Freda that cover this problem.
Apache
Old 01-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #15
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
It must be a tablet or Windows 10 problem. Mine opens full size every time. I use a Surface Pro 4 Win 10. I run Calibre and my Calibre Library on a USB Flash Drive with Freda as my default reader. When I select a book to read in Calibre it opens in Freda. I do not see any settings in Freda that cover this problem.
Apache
Ok, thank you Apache. I felt it was Windows, but it doesn't do it elsewhere, like on another app like Kindle reader. I'll keep looking through the net and find something on it I'm sure

Denise