Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-06-2018, 08:54 PM   #1
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Is Calibre getting slower in converting formats?

Has anyone noticed that newer versions of Calibre (released in the last few weeks/months) seem to be getting slower at converting AZW3 books to EPUB? I don't have any hard test data on this, just a general feeling that the "typical" book used to convert in about ten seconds on my computer, but now it's taking up to two minutes (sometimes even longer). Obviously there will be book to book variations with length, amount of graphics, and who knows what else. I remember converting the Bible once, and that took forever (as expected). But this feeling of recent slowness is different than that. I cannot say if this feeling of slowness was a gradual thing or an abrupt change. I think I'm noticing it now because it is more frequent and consistent, as opposed to a random slow conversion here and there as in the past that I paid no attention to.

Has anyone else noticed this? Am I imaging it? Are all my novels these days just more difficult to convert than they've been in years past? No changes in my computer, I run Linux, and run a very tight ship. This is not a general computer slowdown or Windows garbage build-up.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:06 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Compare some of the AZW3 code in the editor, e.g. from last year and today - could be that the creators of the AZW3s are adding in more bloat.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:27 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Why not be scientific about it. Download a free different versions of calibre portable. Under each one create a library with a few books. Do conversions in each version and compare the times.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote