Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
The Straven
Nevermore
The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: ex-iLiad, DR800SG
Converting a planner to a cover

After weeks of fiddling around, I've finished my little project of making a suitable cover for my DR800. Neither the luxury cover nor the M-Edge cover really please me. I chose my Rite-In-The-Rain planner, removing the ring binder, which slid out easily as it's not attached to the case. The case contains sheets of plastic sewn into the covers, but I reinforced them with sheets of Lexan (see second photo); fortunately both covers have pouches that can hold them. I took a length of elastic cord I'd gotten from a little gift box and used it for a tether for the stylus; again, fortunately the case has a pouch for a pen or something that is exactly the right size to hold the stylus, so all I had to do was stitch the cord to the case. I had wanted to take advantage of the mounting holes on the device to mount it to the cover, and you can see evidence of my attempt in the second photo, but in the end it proved easier to sew in a couple of pieces of elastic and a couple of short lengths of cord to hold the corners, and that works well enough. All told I spent about $15 on materials (I got the planner from supply).

I managed to sew the straps in so that the device won't fall out, but I can slip the cords off easily enough to remove the thing. I might have to cut a longer cord for the lower-left corner as it is loose enough to come off if I brush it with a little force. The finished package is too heavy to hold and read with one hand, and perhaps you can see that the back cover doesn't fold back nicely, but I can live with it by using both hands. The covers still flex and there's a gap between the front cover and the face of the device, but I think it will provide enough protection that I can throw it in my pack and not worry about it as long as I don't pile heavy objects on it.

I also bought a Dayrunner planner for occasions where I don't want to stand out, and it's perfectly sized for the DR800, but it will take a lot more work to convert. For one, there's no place to put the Lexan sheets, so I might have to glue them to the leather, which of course isn't so great.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my idea for anyone else that isn't thrilled with the current cover offerings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010113.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	50889   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010114.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	377.3 KB
ID:	50890   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010117.JPG
Views:	314