Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #16
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
If your book is TOPAZ format, the decripting will fail with "invalid format" or some such. All you need to copy are the "PRC" files.
In case this isn't clear: Unlike on the Kindle, all the actual ebooks, AZW or TOPAZ, are in .prc files. Some AZW files are DRM-free, and will work "as is" but others will need to have their DRM stripped. You probably won't find the TOPAZ ebooks until they fail in mobidedrm, but watch out for the DRM-free AZW ebooks which will also fail in mobidedrm.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:59 PM   #17
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
In case this isn't clear: Unlike on the Kindle, all the actual ebooks, AZW or TOPAZ, are in .prc files. Some AZW files are DRM-free, and will work "as is" but others will need to have their DRM stripped. You probably won't find the TOPAZ ebooks until they fail in mobidedrm, but watch out for the DRM-free AZW ebooks which will also fail in mobidedrm.
What he said...
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #18
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot
thianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Or won't open in mobireader desktop application after I extracted it off my iPhone (the drm-free sample ebook).
thianliongpatpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #19
captain
captain began at the beginning.

Device: Stanza / calibre
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thianliongpatpoh View Post
Here goes:
1. Fire up iTunes and get your iPhone connected to your laptop/netbook/pc
2. Click on your Device in iTunes. This will bring your device menu.
3. in the iPhone Menu, there's the SERIAL NUMBER. click on that, then the number changed intu UDID (Identifier). Type/COPY the long UDID
4. Go to your python folder, type "kindlepid.py your_UDID"
5. the resulting 10 characters is your iPhone PID, which is tied to your purchased .prc.

Cheers
Help me get my iPwn Kindle PID
Ah ha! There is an updated kindlepid.py (azw version 2) out there that will take the iPhone's UDID and return the proper PID!

HOW TO FIND YOUR IPHONE KINDLE BOOKS ON A JAILBROKEN PHONE

Here is the kludgey way to locate your ebooks on your iPhoneKindle:

JailBreak your iPhone
ssh in from an OSX Terminal with unlimited history
cd /User/Applications
ls -lR
command-F (search for "Kindle.app")
the obfuscated directory will be made clear and you can then cd into that and subsequently down into the more clearly labled directories (i.e. .../Documents/eBooks)

Note that the prc file names are CODES, not NAMES. Easiest thing is to just deDRM all the .prc files, then drop all the resulting .mobi files into calibre and let it do its magic! :-D

I did the kludgey way: go to your iPwn Kindle App and just Delete(Archive) all your books. Leave the one or few you want to convert and the prc files will be apparent back in the SSH session.
"scp" those files to your Mac, and happily deDRM them for backup and use wherever the Hell you want!

Just say NO to DRM!!!
Dumb Retrograde Mercenaries? :-P

Last edited by captain; 09-03-2009 at 12:41 AM. Reason: I figured some things out....
captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #20
captain
captain began at the beginning.

Device: Stanza / calibre
meh. no delete function.

Last edited by captain; 09-03-2009 at 12:42 AM.
captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 06:31 AM   #21
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
One question. Do you know the DiskAid Apps? Does it work for extracting files?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #22
cynoclast
Enthusiast
cynoclast began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N810 (FBReader), iPhone 3GS (Stanza/Kindle)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
This directory in backupextractor:

If your book is TOPAZ format, the decripting will fail with "invalid format" or some such. All you need to copy are the "PRC" files.

The free version allows you to copy only one book at a time, annoying, but if you can't live with that, buy the application.

Cheers
None of those folders were displayed from my 3GS under the amazon folder. Just a prefs folder and some other folder. Nowhere in the entire folder heirarchy revealed by iPhone Backup Extractor was there anything like an eBooks folder.

Maybe it's because I'm running 3.0.1?
cynoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #23
cynoclast
Enthusiast
cynoclast began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N810 (FBReader), iPhone 3GS (Stanza/Kindle)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain View Post
ssh in from an OSX Terminal with unlimited history
Is it necessary to SSH in from OSX?

Lots of OSes support SSH.
cynoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #24
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
I am running 3.0.1 and 3.1 now, still works. I am at a loss as to why you iphone is formatted differently from all others.

Azrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynoclast View Post
None of those folders were displayed from my 3GS under the amazon folder. Just a prefs folder and some other folder. Nowhere in the entire folder heirarchy revealed by iPhone Backup Extractor was there anything like an eBooks folder.

artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #25
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
OK..I stayed up way to late messing with this so I am seeking some assistance.

I removed the .prc files from my phone and have them on my computer.

I have the PID

I run the py script to remove the DRM and I get 2 error messages from two differnt books. First I get invalid file format. The other message I am getting is invalid encryption type: 0

THe files have the .prc file extension on them so I have been using this.

I have tried several files and no luck.

the book name is b0011tmnz4_ebok.prc. I have tried all caps as well. I also renamed it kindle.prc, but still nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #26
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynoclast View Post

Maybe a silly point, but did you "backup" (not sync) your iphone first to your computer before running the iPhone Backup Extractor program?

Also, this topic has been discussed previously with some information which is still relevant and may be useful to some:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41015

Last edited by All4Fun; 09-13-2009 at 10:15 AM.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #27
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrktank View Post
OK..I stayed up way to late messing with this so I am seeking some assistance.

I removed the .prc files from my phone and have them on my computer.

I have the PID

I run the py script to remove the DRM and I get 2 error messages from two differnt books. First I get invalid file format. The other message I am getting is invalid encryption type: 0

THe files have the .prc file extension on them so I have been using this.

I have tried several files and no luck.

the book name is b0011tmnz4_ebok.prc. I have tried all caps as well. I also renamed it kindle.prc, but still nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

What book is it? Some mobi books, even on Amazon, are unencrypted. Also, on the iPhone, Topaz books show up as prc instead of tpz/axw1, but they obviously can't be dedrm'd by mobidedrm (or at all, yet )
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #28
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrktank View Post
These both might be correct error messages.

The "invalid file format" error is probably from a TOPAZ ebook. These also have the extension .prc when sent to the iPhone by Amazon and they can't be used on any other device. If you want to be sure, open the file with a text editor. If it is TOPAZ it will start with the string: "TPZ0". If you want to avoid TOPAZ ebooks, on their Amazon web page TOPAZ ebooks don't include the File Size under Product Details. I have found this to be a consistent tell for TOPAZ, but I have seen comments by others that it isn't 100% reliable.

The "invalid encryption type: 0" is probably a DRM-free MOBI file. This ebook can be used without running it through mobidedrm. The simplest check is to try to read it with a MOBI Reader or to format shift it with Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #29
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
OK I have the .prc. I see it is a little over 15MB

I loaded it iinto Stanza, which took a very long time to load. I then saved as a epub file and moved to my Sony 600. It appears to be locking up my ebook library software.

Looking at other books I noticed they are much smaller.

Am I missing a step in the process? Such as making the file compressed?
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #30
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
At that size, I'm going to guess it's a Topaz book. If you tell me the title, I can download the sample and confirm.

Oh, nevermind, you said you loaded it into Stanza.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote