Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
Scott479
male homo sapien
Scott479 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Clara HD
Battery Drain: Sleep cover?

I have bought a new Clara and got a sleep cover to keep it in. I've notice the battery is dead in a day or two even though I've only spent an hour reading on it. I was putting the device to sleep with the button (out of habit) and then closing it, which made me think closing it awakened it again, so I stopped using the button. Bit the battery is still draining quickly. Has their been a solution to this problem?
Should I just return the sleep cover and but something else?
Scott479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Does your reader in the cover sit somewhere it's not being disturbed (i.e. on a table) or could it be getting jostled enough that it is regularly being woke up and put back to sleep (or woke up and sleeping itself when it times out)?
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Did you try to disable the sleep cover in settings to verify it is the problem?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:51 PM   #4
jeffery
Enthusiast
jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura hd
I have the Aura HD, and I too have seen sleep cover battery drain issues. My cover is from Mulbess.

What I have noticed though is that even though the cover is closed, the reader isn't going to sleep all the time. in fact, it seems to be preventing the reader from going to sleep. I will look over an hour later and I can just barely see a sliver of light peeking out from beneath the cover.

If I forgo closing the cover the reader will sleep on it's own after the proper timeout period every time.

What I think is happening:
The cover is getting old, and it's sagging a bit. I think two things are happening with it. the magnet is not quite making contact, and the sagging of the cover is triggering the screen sensor in the middle, preventing normal sleep time out.

Could this explain what is happening to you? Not that it is old, but the cover issues.
jeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:49 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I've run into a few covers where the magnet wasn't in the exact perfect position to trigger sleep for the reader. If you pry up just an edge of the cover, you'll see the light is still on. I've returned them, and the replacement worked just fine.

I would take the reader out of the cover for a few days. Either set it to go to sleep with the button (I don't have a Clara, so I'm assuming it's sleep and not a full shut down). Or in the settings, set it to go to sleep after 5 minutes, and make sure it really does go to sleep. See if it's still having the same battery drain issue, just to rule out that it's not the new reader itself. But I'm betting it's a sleep cover with the magnet just slightly off the sweet spot.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2018, 06:08 AM   #6
Scott479
male homo sapien

Hello everyone,

Robko, it mostly has stayed in my backpack, so it may get jostled around, but also sits undisturbed for long periods as well. If it gets woken up during this time, will it not go back to sleep after several minutes?

I've turned off the sleep cover function in the settings (and lessened the time to 5 minutes to go to sleep). We will see how long it lasts now. It would be disappointing if the sleep cover magnet is misaligned, since the Clara is a new size for Kobo (it's smaller) and the sleep cover is made my Kobo, especially for the Clara.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #7
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Do you ever/often leave it on a metal table? I remember a few months back someone finally figuring out that their device wasn't sleeping properly because their bedside table was metal, and *i think* putting something in between the table and their reader solved it. Someone else suggested it as a possible cause, as it had been discussed earlier on MR by others who had the same problem.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #8
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Do you ever/often leave it on a metal table? I remember a few months back someone finally figuring out that their device wasn't sleeping properly because their bedside table was metal, and *i think* putting something in between the table and their reader solved it. Someone else suggested it as a possible cause, as it had been discussed earlier on MR by others who had the same problem.

Or if not a metal table, maybe something metal in the backpack...?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Or if not a metal table, maybe something metal in the backpack...?
Or another device with a magnet. Back before I put a cover on my Glo, I would put in in my backpack with the front against my iPad. Frequently, when I pulled the Glo out, it would be awake. It took me an embarrassingly amount of time to realise that the magnet in the cover of the iPad was triggering the wake and sleep of the Glo. Plus, there was enough movement of the two devices relative to each other, that it kept waking and sleeping and ran the battery down.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #10
Scott479
male homo sapien

I turned off the sleep cover function and have just been using the button, but it is still not lasting long. Perhaps I need to return the Clara. Maybe a bad battery.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #11
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Maybe this drain could be caused by a corrupt book. I've had a similar problem with a device of another brand.
My Clara only loses only about 1% of battery a day in its sleep cover since I've turned OFF the automatic power-off-function.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:06 AM   #12
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Battery Drain: Sleep cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
My Clara only loses only about 1% of battery a day in its sleep cover since I've turned OFF the automatic power-off-function.
My Clara battery has no issues either. I've just read a huge book: 18 hours of reading, plus maybe almost just as many hours of reading Pocket articles, with the light somewhere between 1-12%, Wifi ON, auto-wake OFF, and many sleep/wake cycles including several off/on cycles without any in between plug-ins... and Clara only just asked for juice yesterday. I wanted to see how long it would last with the last 10% battery, but after 1,5 day I gave up because I wanted to change some config file things and backup my reading status to Calibre.

In other words, indeed, Scott probably has a bad book (or small chance at bad battery).

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 09-14-2018 at 04:11 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:40 AM   #13
Scott479
male homo sapien

Kobo suggests I return it to the store for a new one: "The device's battery should not be working as you mentioned."
Old 09-14-2018, 07:03 AM   #14
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott479 View Post
Kobo suggests I return it to the store for a new one: "The device's battery should not be working as you mentioned."

If I were you I'd test to find out if you have a bad book first. Otherwise, you'll end up with the same problem with the next device after all the trouble of exchanging.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:23 AM   #15
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Turn off wifi and see if that helps.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery drain, sleep cover