Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-06-2018, 08:23 AM   #1
jamesd256
jamesd256 began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
kobo system partition full

Having great fun with KSM and syncthing, which was working fine, but now having some issues.

My system partition is full. It happened before but I deleted /adds/syncthing/syncthing.old after the update of syncthing. This freed up 10Mb, but it's now full again. See below.

Is there any possibility of moving stuff to the internal storage. Looking around it all looks like essential libs and apps etc. Perhaps it's possible to resize the system partition?

Any suggestions welcome, thanks!

df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 247.9M 247.0M 979.0K 100% /
none 16.0M 0 16.0M 0% /tmp
none 248.4M 8.0K 248.4M 0% /dev
none 16.0K 4.0K 12.0K 25% /var/lib
none 16.0K 8.0K 8.0K 50% /var/log
none 128.0K 8.0K 120.0K 6% /var/run
/dev/mmcblk0p3 3.2G 1.9G 1.3G 60% /mnt/onboard
/dev/mmcblk1p1 59.5G 41.9G 17.6G 70% /mnt/sd

du -sh /*

3.0K /Settings
2.0K /Sync
28.0M /adds
6.5M /bin
8.0K /dev
787.0K /drivers
4.0M /etc
112.0K /fs.md5sum
0 /isforksm.txt
8.3M /lib
1023.0K /libexec
0 /linuxrc
12.0K /lost+found
43.8G /mnt
0 /proc
3.0K /qtembedded-0
154.0K /root
421.0K /sbin
0 /sys
0 /tmp
118.2M /usr
24.0K /var
jamesd256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
jamesd256

I moved /adds/syncthing to /mnt/onboard/adds/syncthing, and now I can run it because it freed up 12Mbs doing so

Now I just have to have a go at updating the start script

Edit:

Ok, the partition filled up again instantly. The way the add on was being called, it was putting a huge index file on the system partition.

I moved the config location, and updated the command to start syncthing again:

mv /adds/kbmenu/rmc/cgi-bin/.config/ /mnt/onboard/adds/syncthing/

/mnt/onboard/adds/syncthing/syncthing -no-browser -home=/mnt/onboard/adds/syncthing/.config/syncthing_01 -gui-address=0.0.0.0:8384

Now the index can grow as big as it likes!

Last edited by jamesd256; 09-06-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Advert
Old 09-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
By default the space in the system partition is a bit restricted, only 256MB in total and some of that free space is necessary to perform system updates reliably. Also why a lot of mods decided to move themselves to the user partition instead...

I considered using Golang to create mods for a while but stopped when I saw the binary sizes it produced (in the 2MB-ish range). It's just unnecessarily large.

If you need more space no matter what and you don't mind modding your reader a bit, you can... simply change the partition size to give yourself an extra gig on the system part.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
jamesd256

Thank you - running from onboard storage seems to be working just fine for me, so I won't ask how you increase the system partition size..I would use Gparted if it were a pc.

So how do you increase the system partition size?
Old 09-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd256 View Post
I would use Gparted if it were a pc.

So how do you increase the system partition size?

gparted

Just make sure you don't change the start position. That unpartitioned space at the start of the disk, is actually used for kernel and stuff like that. So gparted would show it as free space but it's not actually free space. So the start must remain unchanged, but you can grow in size no problem.

Well, I actually haven't tried it with gparted, since I know how to do this manually and prefer to do it that way. But there's no reason why it shouldn't work. The partition layout isn't hardcoded anywhere - only the partition numbers are and you're not changing those.

Make a full backup / image of the card beforehand in any case.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert