Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #1
dicknskip
Zealot
dicknskip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad V-3
Font issues in iBooks

I am attempting to write a family cookbook, just for our own use. I would like to use some embedded fonts. The attached example shows how I am trying to do this. All fonts are in the epub file and work in Calibre viewer on my MacBook and in iBooks on my MacBook. When I move the book to my iPad Air, either by mailing it or using the Calibre server, only Papyrus and Courier New show properly. The other fonts default to italic in the iBook base font, Times New Roman. Can anyone shed some light on what I might be doing wrong?

All software is fully up-to-date.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Test - Richard Angus.epub (728.4 KB, 35 views)
dicknskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
doubleshuffle
Flying Wheels
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD
Have you added this file to your ebook?

com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
dicknskip
Zealot

Yes, I used one I found on the net. It's a bit different. Does that matter:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<display_options>
<platform name="*">
<option name="specified-fonts">true</option>
</platform>
</display_options>
Old 04-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
doubleshuffle
Flying Wheels
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I picked the one I posted years ago, but must admit I haven't checked books with it in iBooks for a while.

Unfortunately, that was my only idea; I'm afraid you'll have to wait for the experts to drop in.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #5
dicknskip
Zealot

Much appreciated. I'll try your example, just in case. It's only a little test file so no big issue.
Advert
Old 04-15-2018, 02:51 AM   #6
doubleshuffle
Flying Wheels

So no one replied overnight... Perhaps you should ask a mod to move this thread to the epub subforum, where it really belongs.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:26 AM   #7
doubleshuffle
Flying Wheels

The difference between our versions of that xml file is that yours seems to be for epub3 and mine for epub2.
And if you are creating an epub3 file, it seems it is also required to add this line
Code:
<meta property="ibooks:specified-fonts">true</meta>
to the <metadata> section in the content.opf file.

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 04-15-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:30 AM   #8
doubleshuffle
Flying Wheels

It seems if you want to create a book that really works in bloody iBooks, you have to work your way through their own special rulebook:

https://itunesconnect.apple.com/docs...1Revision2.pdf

I don't have an iPad, but if I did, I sure would use some other reading app.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:14 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Moved to Ebook formats/ePub, as it doesn't seem to be a calibre issue.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #10
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknskip View Post
Can anyone shed some light on what I might be doing wrong?
You've created an epub2 book, but you used the epub3 syntax for the following metdata entry:

Code:
<meta property="ibooks:specified-fonts">true</meta>
Delete this entry and all embedded fonts will show up properly in iBooks.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #11
doubleshuffle
Flying Wheels

^ It seems I should have taken a look at that test file. Somehow I missed that...
Old 04-15-2018, 11:39 AM   #12
dicknskip
Zealot

I did what Doitsu suggested and got the same results as before, only Courier and Papyrus worked properly. I then tried removing the com.apple.ibooks.display-options file and that didn't work either. I'm don't know what to try next?
Old 04-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #13
doubleshuffle
Flying Wheels

Have you also tried my xml file after removing the <metadata> entry?
Old 04-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #14
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknskip View Post
I did what Doitsu suggested and got the same results as before, only Courier and Papyrus worked properly. I then tried removing the com.apple.ibooks.display-options file and that didn't work either. I'm don't know what to try next?
I used Sigil for my edits. Maybe it normalized some code that Calibre doesn't touch. Try my version of your test file.

BTW, even though iBooks supports epub2 books, you might as well create an epub3 book to take advantage of epub3 features, e.g. popup footnotes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Test - Richard Angus_epub2.PNG
Views:	97
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	163505  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Test - Richard Angus_epub2.epub (728.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: epub Test - Richard Angus_epub3.epub (728.8 KB, 28 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #15
dicknskip
Zealot

Thanks so much. I just tried to edit it on Sigil, but haven't got it to the iPad yet. Needed charging. I'll try both yours and see how it works. I'll need to look at Calibre and how to create an epub3 as I use asides in my other books.