Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-20-2018, 08:18 AM   #27511
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Just started reading Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #27512
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I've finished Sheepfarmer's Daughter, and thoroughly enjoyed it once again.
I finally got the omnibus a couple weeks ago and started it last night on my way home. After I got off the train, I kept reading in my car for 15 minutes before finishing my commute. So far so good!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #27513
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
And I needed something to get over Never Let Me Go, which I did NOT enjoy.
A good discussion can make a book I didn't especially like interesting and frequently I will end up appreciating it, whether or not it's to my taste, and certainly I can learn a lot about what works and doesn't work, both objectively and for me. Enjoyment can come in more than one fashion.

On topic: among the books I'm reading is The Secrets of Station X: How the Bletchley Park codebreakers helped win the war, which pretty much says it. It's interesting on the kind of topic I like, but would benefit from being fleshed out with more personalities; it's more like an encyclopedia entry than what I'd call a good read. Based on a recommendation here, I'm also reading The Henchmen of Zenda, a retelling of The Prisoner of Zenda story from the bad guys' side. Much fun and one of the better derivative works I've read (mostly I hate them as I think they get it wrong).
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #27514
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
A good discussion can make a book I didn't especially like interesting and frequently I will end up appreciating it, whether or not it's to my taste, and certainly I can learn a lot about what works and doesn't work, both objectively and for me. Enjoyment can come in more than one fashion.
Sometimes I agree, but in this case, neither the book nor the discussion is working for me. In fact, the opposite. Since the discussion has started, I've moved from a reluctant 3 stars to a thin 2 stars. I don't like this book and don't think it's even remotely worth the hype. But it is good to have the discussion, and now I'm sure I'll never want to read another Ishiguro.

Quote:
On topic: among the books I'm reading is The Secrets of Station X: How the Bletchley Park codebreakers helped win the war, which pretty much says it. It's interesting on the kind of topic I like, but would benefit from being fleshed out with more personalities; it's more like an encyclopedia entry than what I'd call a good read.
Yes, I quite agree with that assessment. As a read, it doesn't compare well to Between Silk and Cyanide, the other WWII book on codes that I read as a direct result of our War month. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed both, but Silk benefited from the author's voice and was quite entertaining as well as informative.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #27515
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I finally got the omnibus a couple weeks ago and started it last night on my way home. After I got off the train, I kept reading in my car for 15 minutes before finishing my commute. So far so good!
Yes, it does have that impact, doesn't it? (BTW, the audio book is quite good as well, and is WhisperSynced for the first and third books in the series. Though not with the omnibus edition, unfortunately.)
Advert
Old 09-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #27516
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, it does have that impact, doesn't it? (BTW, the audio book is quite good as well, and is WhisperSynced for the first and third books in the series. Though not with the omnibus edition, unfortunately.)
I might try the audiobook might work for this but I doubt it. I tried the audiobook for The Magic of Recluce (one of my old favorites) a few weeks ago and couldn't get through the first chapter. Part of that is the "non-earth" fantasy setting and unusual names that I always pronounce differently in my head than they are read. That makes a big disconnect, especially for books I have read several times before. Mostly it is because I must consume it faster!

I have never been good at listening to books unless I can't read it myself, like when driving and I try not to switch back and forth for the same book. I will finish an audiobook by reading it but generally not the other way since I have already established names/pronunciations for myself at that point.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:06 PM   #27517
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I have never been good at listening to books unless I can't read it myself, like when driving and I try not to switch back and forth for the same book. I will finish an audiobook by reading it but generally not the other way since I have already established names/pronunciations for myself at that point.
This is absolutely me. I'd rather read when I can and I either read a book or listen to it, not both. Sometimes, very rarely, I'll switch to a text from the audiobook, either because it's a good book and the narrator isn't working for me, or else because I don't like the book all that much but am sufficiently curious/committed to see how it plays out, and I can get it over with much faster by reading.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #27518
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
I might try the audiobook might work for this but I doubt it. I tried the audiobook for The Magic of Recluce (one of my old favorites) a few weeks ago and couldn't get through the first chapter. Part of that is the "non-earth" fantasy setting and unusual names that I always pronounce differently in my head than they are read. That makes a big disconnect, especially for books I have read several times before. Mostly it is because I must consume it faster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
This is absolutely me. I'd rather read when I can and I either read a book or listen to it, not both. Sometimes, very rarely, I'll switch to a text from the audiobook, either because it's a good book and the narrator isn't working for me, or else because I don't like the book all that much but am sufficiently curious/committed to see how it plays out, and I can get it over with much faster by reading.
That's interesting. For many years, starting in the mid-80's, I had lengthy car commutes. Books on Tape was very much my friend! I got in the habit of listening to books (though only rarely to non-fiction), and am quite comfortable with it. Originally, I was not impressed with WhisperSync, but I've come to quite appreciate it. I no longer have a commute, so my listening time can be limited. By being able to go back and forth, I'm able to proceed with a book even though I'm in a position where I don't have the ability to use the medium I started with. And some books actually improve in the audio version -- especially if the narrator is particularly good. The Ben Aaronovitch books, for example, where the narrator's Ghanaian accent is perfect for the Peter Grant character, who is also Ghanaian. Another is Jeeves and Wooster. They're fun reads, but even better in the audio book.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:03 AM   #27519
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
That's interesting. For many years, starting in the mid-80's, I had lengthy car commutes. Books on Tape was very much my friend! I got in the habit of listening to books (though only rarely to non-fiction), and am quite comfortable with it. Originally, I was not impressed with WhisperSync, but I've come to quite appreciate it. I no longer have a commute, so my listening time can be limited. By being able to go back and forth, I'm able to proceed with a book even though I'm in a position where I don't have the ability to use the medium I started with. And some books actually improve in the audio version -- especially if the narrator is particularly good. The Ben Aaronovitch books, for example, where the narrator's Ghanaian accent is perfect for the Peter Grant character, who is also Ghanaian. Another is Jeeves and Wooster. They're fun reads, but even better in the audio book.
I've listened to a couple of the short stories and one novel from Aaronovitch (Kobna Holdbrook-Smith narrated) and they are fantastic. In that case, I think I am ok with it because that was the only way to read A Rare Book of Cunning Device so I had to and got used to it.

I normally use long commutes (which for me normally means drives from the Portland area to eastern Oregon or the Seattle area) for books I wouldn't otherwise read. I find that I enjoy some non-fiction more in an audiobook than I do in paper/ebook form. The drive portion of my daily commute is ~ 5 minutes and I just try to catch some news during it. It's the train portion that I get most of my reading done in.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:50 AM   #27520
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Finished The Case of the Turning Tide by Erle Stanley Gardner. A cozy murder mystery depicting Gramp Wiggins, a cynic old traveler, celebrated cook, cocktail maker supreme and amateur sleuth who happens to be the grandfather of District Attorny's wife. He jumps in the investigation with all his funny manners and evidently solves the case. Very entertaining read. Highly recommended.

Next up, I have yet to decide my next read. It will be either The Case of the Smoking Chimney by Erle Stanley Gardner, second novel of Gramp Wiggins or Fear by Bob Woodward, currently trending famous non fiction.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:06 PM   #27521
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
I've listened to a couple of the short stories and one novel from Aaronovitch (Kobna Holdbrook-Smith narrated) and they are fantastic. In that case, I think I am ok with it because that was the only way to read A Rare Book of Cunning Device so I had to and got used to it.
Yes, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith is just superb reading the Aaronovitch books. One of the series that I always go for the audio book first. A series that works extremely well for me in audio format is the Aubrey/Maturin books by Patrick O'Brian. There are several narrators, but the narrations by Patrick Tull are by far my favourites. The Simon Vance narrations are also good, but don't seem to be available right now. The other narrations are clearly inferior.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #27522
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Quote:
I've finished Sheepfarmer's Daughter, and thoroughly enjoyed it once again.
Time for book 2. I will read them slower to savor them next time. Right now I just want MORE! On to Divided Allegiance.

I will also finish my yearly goal when I finish Divided Allegiance.

Last edited by Dazrin; 09-21-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #27523
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I am reluctant to continue The Girl Who Could Fly (I'm at 23%), because I foresee unpleasantness and I really do like the main character. Maybe I'm just in the wrong head-space.

Meanwhile, I finally got around to begin listening to {i]The Fellowship of the Ring[/i] (Rob Inglis narration) in the car. I managed to leverage some deep discounts to get this $33 volume at a mere $6 or so, and so far it is enjoyable.

For that price, I am locked into using the Kobo app, but you know, I didn't want to invest a lot of money into a book narration I might not like, etc.

If I do listen to this to the finish (twenty hours of narration divided by 1.5 hours of commute to/from work= three weeks), then I will have to seriously ponder buying the next two books... that's ~$65
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #27524
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Finished Morning Star by Pierce Brown. Library borrow.

A decent ending to the trilogy. Darrow displays a lot of emotion and self-reflection. It all returns back to the death of his wife and the causes she believed in. The climax may have been a touch hurried but at 500+ pages the plot needed to neatly wrap up to avoid sluggishness. There were several seemingly minor details that later are revealed to be essential to the outcome. I missed a few and had "duh!" moments later on. I must say the three books contain a lot of sorrow, pain and death of both children and adults. Rated C+ [3 stars].

Next, The Man in the Maze by Robert Silverberg borrowed from library.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:33 AM   #27525
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
I'm currently working my way through the 3 individual books in the Deeds of Paksenarrion trilogy. This is a re-read, and is being mostly done via Audible, but with the re-release of the individual volumes for the 30th Anniversary of Sheepfarmer's Daughter, it seemed like a good excuse. And I needed something to get over Never Let Me Go, which I did NOT enjoy.

I've finished Sheepfarmer's Daughter, and thoroughly enjoyed it once again. Now on to Divided Allegiance.
Quote:
Time for book 2. I will read them slower to savor them next time. Right now I just want MORE! On to Divided Allegiance.

I will also finish my yearly goal when I finish Divided Allegiance.
Sadly, I'm now remembering that the second half of Divided Allegiance is not at all my favourite part of the series. That's OK, I'll power through it. But be forewarned, Dazrin.