Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-25-2018, 01:44 PM   #1
ptmkenny
ptmkenny began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Force a background color with Kindle app color modes?

The Kindle macOS and iOS reading apps include a "Color Mode" that lets the user select from among "White," "Black," and "Sepia."

When making an ebook, if I have a
Code:
<p>
tag and add CSS such as
Code:
background-color: hsl(240, 100%, 87.5%);
, the paragraph will show up on a purple background as expected in "White" mode. However, in "Black" and "Sepia" mode, all such background colors are ignored.

Is there a way to force the background color to apply regardless of the Color Mode, or does the Color Mode override the CSS of the book?

I was hoping to be able to specify a font color and background color for certain
Code:
<p>
tags.
ptmkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmkenny View Post
The Kindle macOS and iOS reading apps include a "Color Mode" that lets the user select from among "White," "Black," and "Sepia."

When making an ebook, if I have a
Code:
<p>
tag and add CSS such as
Code:
background-color: hsl(240, 100%, 87.5%);
, the paragraph will show up on a purple background as expected in "White" mode. However, in "Black" and "Sepia" mode, all such background colors are ignored.

Is there a way to force the background color to apply regardless of the Color Mode, or does the Color Mode override the CSS of the book?
I assume that you are already aware that this won't work, at ALL, on the millions of KF7 devices--right?

Quote:
I was hoping to be able to specify a font color and background color for certain
Code:
<p>
tags.
Our works. I'll have to look at the coding that we use, but it's obviously doable. What device are you testing this upon? Presumably, you've remembered to load an AZK to the iOS, yes?

ETA: Question--are you trying to make backgrounds for a text box, or, like highlighting of a sentence/line para?

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 05-25-2018 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Added the ETA.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:36 PM   #3
ptmkenny
ptmkenny began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@Hitch Yes, it's ok that it doesn't work on KF7.

Right now, I'm testing on the macOS Kindle app. I will test iOS later.

I'm trying to set the background color for individual sentences that are tagged as paragraphs.
ptmkenny is offline   Reply With Quote