Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-10-2018, 11:20 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Updating from Very Old Firmware

I have a Paperwhite 2 which has never been updated. The firmware currently on it is: 5.4.2.

I would like to update the firmware in order to put custom fonts on the PW. I realise that I can't update to the latest firmware so was wondering what I can do.

I don't have wifi, so this will have to be done via usb, but I haven't a clue where to begin.

Please help.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:28 PM   #2
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
You should be able to update to the latest firmware available right now (5.9.7) on Amazon's site via USB:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201307450

It would have the custom fonts and adjustable bold.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2018, 11:43 PM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. I was wondering if such a big leap would choke the Kindle.

I've found an Amazon page about how to do this via usb:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...deId=202109170
Old 11-11-2018, 03:51 AM   #4
BookCat
C L J

I've updated the firmware. My kindle looks like a new reader and I'm having so much fun playing with fonts.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I've updated the firmware. My kindle looks like a new reader and I'm having so much fun playing with fonts.
While you do that, please be careful to only load a complete font set that has "regular" "italic" "bold" and "bold italic" (exactly those four, no less, no more variants). It avoids potential display issues and crashes.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
While you do that, please be careful to only load a complete font set that has "regular" "italic" "bold" and "bold italic" (exactly those four, no less, no more variants). It avoids potential display issues and crashes.
Oh dear! I've just been loading the regular font!

The first font I loaded was Georgia. After unzipping the file, I put the whole folder into the PW's font folder, but the kindle couldn't see it; so I took the individual bits (for regular, italic etc) out of the folder and into the font folder on the kindle, then deleted the empty folder. Because the reader seemed to see only one folder (regular) and only give the option to use that one, I loaded only the regular bits of other fonts.
It did occur to me that, if an author uses italics in a book, there might be issues if I don't have the italic version of the font.

I've loaded Georgia (the only one with all the files), Constantia, Gentium, Gentium Alt (shows, but looks identical to Gentium), Cambria, Maiandra, (I don't really like sans fonts, but this looked like a more interesting alternative if I fancied one), Palatino, Sylfaen (I use this for Word), Times New Roman and Book Antiqua.

Many of these are copies of system fonts. Should I go back and put other bits in? Some of them only had the regular font on my computer.

The only thing I don't like about the firmware update is the home page. I prefer just to start with a list view, now I have to click to "My Library". Also, search no longer has the drop down list for "All Text" "All Items" or "Search Within This Book".

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #7
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
You can turn the home page off in the device settings.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J

induna: Where? I looked in the settings and can't see this option.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #9
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Settings > Device Options > Advanced Options > Home & Library
Disable Home Screen View

It's somewhat buried.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #10
BookCat
C L J

I don't have Advanced Options; just: Device Info, Device Passcode, Device Time, Restart, Reset, and Update Your Kindle (greyed out).
Old 11-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #11
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
I'm sorry. Are you running 5.9.7? I was thinking 5.10.1.1.

I could have sworn the new home screen came with 5.10.1.1.

On the home page, under the Store button/Search, open that menu--is Grid or List enabled?

See the attached screenshot.

I'm sure I'm confused about what setting you need to change. Apologies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2018_11_11.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	167636  

Last edited by JimmyR; 11-11-2018 at 04:53 PM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It should be there, might need to do the connect to wifi thing just like for collections. I see it on my PW3 with 5.9.7.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Oh dear! I've just been loading the regular font!

The first font I loaded was Georgia. After unzipping the file, I put the whole folder into the PW's font folder, but the kindle couldn't see it; so I took the individual bits (for regular, italic etc) out of the folder and into the font folder on the kindle, then deleted the empty folder. Because the reader seemed to see only one folder (regular) and only give the option to use that one, I loaded only the regular bits of other fonts.
It did occur to me that, if an author uses italics in a book, there might be issues if I don't have the italic version of the font.

I've loaded Georgia (the only one with all the files), Constantia, Gentium, Gentium Alt (shows, but looks identical to Gentium), Cambria, Maiandra, (I don't really like sans fonts, but this looked like a more interesting alternative if I fancied one), Palatino, Sylfaen (I use this for Word), Times New Roman and Book Antiqua.

Many of these are copies of system fonts. Should I go back and put other bits in? Some of them only had the regular font on my computer.

The only thing I don't like about the firmware update is the home page. I prefer just to start with a list view, now I have to click to "My Library". Also, search no longer has the drop down list for "All Text" "All Items" or "Search Within This Book".

Thanks.
Many fonts that you find on your computer don't have all variants. It is up to you. Normally the Kindle picks an alternate font if there is anything missing. And sometimes it crashes. There is a very strong correlation between incomplete font sets and crashes / instability. Not exactly sure why, but it does not happen with any sets of four. One of those unsolved mysteries.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #14
BookCat
C L J

Oh dear! I don't have wifi, all my internet is wired using homeplugs/powerlines. The kindle itself has never been registered. Amazon registered a kindle account for me over the phone many years ago. I've been downloading books and transfering via usb. I did the update in the same way. Until someone mentioned that I could update firmware via usb, I thought I'd need wifi, hence the long gap in firmware updates.

I now have firmware 5.9.7. I think this is the most recent update for the Paperwhite 2 (6th gen). I think the 5.10.1.1. is for the Paperwhite 3 and upwards.

If I try to open the Store menu, I just get told that my Kindle is in aeroplane mode and asked if I would like to connect to wi-fi. All the local wifi networks (about 2) are secured, so I can't piggy-back on them, even if I should.

So I can't disable the horrid home screen that way.

Oh well. I'll just have to put up with it.

Thanks.

Last edited by BookCat; 11-11-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: DuckieTigger addressed my question
Old 11-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You must surely have a friend with WiFi. Visit them and connect to their WiFi network. Register your Kindle. Disconnect again. Problem solved.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware 5.4.2., firmware update