Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
NUT
NUT began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Should I get a paperwhite or stick to my keyboard kindle.............

I been torn on what to do and i'm not sure! I considering getting the wi-fi version as it's cheaper but I really don't know at all.
NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Unless you find that you often need to use a booklight with your Kindle Keyboard, I'd suggest sticking with your Kindle Keyboard, and saving up for an even better and/or cheaper reader sometime next year. (Just look at the Kobo Aura and the recent price reduction on the nooks in the UK.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I would agree that it is all about the light. If you don't need it, stick with what you've got. Personally, I love the light, and have divested myself of (most of) my earlier Kindles.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You may want to go for the Kindle Touch instead, it has every advantage of the Paperwhite except the light. If you value the light, think about the Paperwhite, otherwise, the Touch is just as good (well, besides for Japanese language support and capacitive touch instead of infrared. I doubt that that is part of your calculations, though. )

I personally would hate to use a Kindle Keyboard, just because the touchscreen is SOOOOOOO much easier to use.

Plus, you can usually get a Kindle Touch on ebay for about $75 plus shipping. And you can easily find one with 3G for the same price if you check lots of listings, which is a nice, FREE bonus.

I know because my friend got his Kindle Touch recently from ebay, and I helped him find one that had 3G for the same price.

I was too lazy to sell my Kindle Touch wifi and buy a 3G one the same way, though. But if I had a Keyboard I would upgrade in a heartbeat to the Kindle Touch.

So I think there are two things to consider:
1) Do you want to upgrade to touchscreen, and
2) Do you want a built-in light.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The Paperwhite and the Touch are both a lot easier to use and a little faster. The Touch has more storage. I love the light, though, on the Paperwhite, and I would go for that one. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade. I did not get a Touch when they came out, I continued using my Keyboard until the Paperwhite came out.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I usually read with my bedroom light on (I have my own room, after all) so the light was never really a concern of mine. A bigger issue is the Paperwhite's lack of a physical home button. Since I started off with a Touch, I don't see the value of the Paperwhite to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The Touch has more storage.
That doesn't matter. To quote myself on a different thread,
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And since the 3.5GB in the Kindle Touch can hold about 3,000 average-sized books, you don't need expandable memory. If you read 100 books A DAY you will still have one month of reading on your Kindle. At a more reasonable but still exorbitant 3 books a day, you will have nearly 3 YEARS worth. I'm sure somewhere along the way you can get to a computer and swap them for new ones.
(Same logic applies to every other eReader, including the Kindle Paperwhite which has (shudder) a measly 1.5 GB and about a year's worth of books.)
Originally, I was talking about Kindle vs. Nook's memory card slot, but here too, SPACE IS NOT AN ISSUE! An ebook averages at 1MB, and you don't need more than 100 MB of memory to hold all the books the average reader will read in a year.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally, I was talking about Kindle vs. Nook's memory card slot, but here too, SPACE IS NOT AN ISSUE! An ebook averages at 1MB, and you don't need more than 100 MB of memory to hold all the books the average reader will read in a year.
That supposes you know exactly what you plan to be reading. If you want to fill your reader with options, not limits, then you might want more than a year's worth on hand. (I certainly do). I quite often veer from what I had planned to read to something completely different. I like to have a huge variety on hand.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Right -- which is why even 2GB is enough to carry 2000 books. And crucially, all the eReaders give you at least that much.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:59 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think the comment on price is a good one. When I got my K3 it was $139.00 now it's down a good bit from that at $54.99 and I imagine that it could go even lower. No doubt the paperwhite will go down as well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Like the Touch -- $75 on ebay if you look around enough.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I can tell you this much:

I will never again buy another ebook reader without a built-in light.

My reading habits IN bed and OUT of bed are now more enjoyable.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
You may want to go for the Kindle Touch instead, it has every advantage of the Paperwhite except the light. ...
... and every disadvantage. I use a K3 and my wife has a PW on which I've read several books. The light is nice, but I do miss the hardware buttons. I find the PW's lack of a "dead zone" around the outer edge of the touchscreen a problem. I have frequently turned pages just picking up the reader.

Quote:
So I think there are two things to consider:
1) Do you want to upgrade to touchscreen, and
2) Do you want a built-in light.
Make that three things:
3) Do you use the audio in the K3, either for Text-to-Speach or for playing MP3 audio files?

The Touch and PW both lack audio.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Wrong. The touch absolutely has audio. I own it and I use it.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
ozziepuppy
ozziepuppy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
I had a Kindle w/ keyboard and broke it. Replaced it with the Paperwhite. I would not say it is worth it to upgrade until you absolutely have to. My K2 was perfectly satisfactory, even though I had to use a little clip-on light at night. However, the Paperwhite was a good choice for replacement (even though the lighting is not as even as it looks in the ads). It will be nice not to have to replace those little batteries in the clip-on light every few weeks.

With all that said, I MISS my keyboard and buttons!
ozziepuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My suggestion is to stick it out with your Kindle keyboard and wait and see what Amazon does for the next version Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote