Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 05:39 AM   #31
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Can't stand spaces between paragraphs. I always see that as a scene change... Very confusing. I prefer a small indent.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #32
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
1.) An average paragraph indent with no line spacing between paragraphs.

ETA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Can't stand spaces between paragraphs. I always see that as a scene change... Very confusing. I prefer a small indent.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #33
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I use * * * for scene breaks. Calibre adds them for you.
I'm of the opinion that * * * is to scene break as ; is to ,
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #34
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Problems with space instead of indents might occur when you have books with many dialogues, especially when paragraphs consist just of one sentence/line. This can look very ugly with spaces around.
Exactly! It looks especially bad on Coolreader. I'm no expert so when I've done all I can with Calibre and Sigil and still can't strip out the spacing while maintain all other formatting (scene breaks etc), I'll sometimes grit my teeth and tolerate the space between paragraphs. I'm usually okay until I get to a page with lots of dialog then I'm all like ahhhh!!! My eyes! My eyes! Make it go away!

At that point, it's either put the book aside for now or read the book with Mantano or Aldiko reader (the spacing doesn't look as bad there for some reason).
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #35
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Yeah I really don't like spacing between lines. Let me repeat, let the user choose between publisher default and choosing their own method on the device. I don't like lines between spaces. It bothers me, and sometimes it messes with scene breaks.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #36
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
indent and no extra space.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #37
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Due to bad eyesight, I use very large fonts. The skipped line between paragraphs takes up too much screen space on a page that is only 7 or 8 lines long. Therefore, I personally prefer an indent.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #38
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I actually prefer both.
Me too.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #39
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
Prefer both indent and a space, it makes it easer to leave a page and return to find my place again.
+1 when I format. Not a full line height space though.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #40
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I want to use an indent. I do this on Smashords .mobi files. But when it comes to Amazon, I've got no idea why their converter doesn't work straight from a word file. If I put an indent in, it starts indenting in all these random places. I'm not a tech-head, so with my Amazon books, I use a line break between each paragraph and a symbol if it's a scene break.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #41
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Young View Post
I want to use an indent. I do this on Smashords .mobi files. But when it comes to Amazon, I've got no idea why their converter doesn't work straight from a word file. If I put an indent in, it starts indenting in all these random places. I'm not a tech-head, so with my Amazon books, I use a line break between each paragraph and a symbol if it's a scene break.
Why not take the mobi file from the Smashwords conversion and upload that to Amazon?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Why not take the mobi file from the Smashwords conversion and upload that to Amazon?
Bada-bing!
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #43
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
It depends ... generally indents, with maybe a little extra spacing between paragraphs, but I grew up reading fan fic, where generally you had the extra line between paragraphs. So, for "real" fiction, I don't prefer spacing, but for fan fiction, I do. Of course, the line is blurring with that now. I've turned some of my fav fics into epubs, and some of them read better without the line spacing.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #44
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I don't mind either way, but I'd prefer it if ebooks left the decision up to the app and the app exposed it as an optional setting to the user. Flexibility is a big advantage of ebooks over paperbooks imo.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #45
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Allowing the user to set the parameters would be ideal. However, there isn't a universal way in which paragraphs are encoded.

That's why automatic converters like Calibre will sometimes fail to make the adjustments you want.

Sometimes the paragraphs themselves aren't within html tags but the inter-paragraph space is. There are other oddities like that.

In those cases, the only solution is to manually change the code yourself.

BTW, I set my regular paragraphs with a 4% indent and 1% top-margin.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote