Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #16
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Good luck! Keep us informed please. We at 4pda have got many reports on successful restore with official 5.8.11, but no one has tried 5.8.9.0.1.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #17
CaesarW
Linux enthusiast
CaesarW began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 PW4 (all jb)
Does anyone know reason for "UPDATE ERROR: 4" ?
I succeeded in copying the 5.8.9.0.1 firmware, but got the error.

Is it related to file integrity? I'm not sure if I copied it completely. Or downgrade is not allowed for the firmware/uboot?
CaesarW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:41 PM   #18
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=276577
Most likely the corrupted fie. Do you have enough time to check md5 of the copied file?
Old 09-23-2018, 01:09 AM   #19
CaesarW
Linux enthusiast

@hius07 failed on the first trial, and gonna try some more later on.
I think 20 seconds is not enough for a integrity check.

Last edited by CaesarW; 09-23-2018 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:55 AM   #20
CaesarW
Linux enthusiast

What? Rare situation happened!

During a copy, the Kindle showed up as a drive persistently, which means there's no more 20 seconds limit. But it seemed to be related to battery status. My Kindle showed a battery low alert and something related to computer.

Photo attachments are below.

----------------EDIT:

After unplugging the USB, I found that the Kindle is actually INTO the system, I got full GUI. The "battery alert" mentioned indicated that Kindle dectected USB connection and it's charging. But the screen didn't appear to be in a normal scale.
It's really rare and hard to enter. After copying evrything I need, I tried to install 5.8.9.0.1 update (full md5 integrity checked), and it appeared "UPDATE ERROR: 10", which is a new error code I've never encountered. I've checked the firmware version and it's 5.7.4.

But luckily, I've got all the firmwares copied in advance in case 5.8.9.0.1 doesn't work. Now it's again in the bootloop.

Now I got two options:
  1. Restore with fw 5.8.10/5.8.11 which I already fully copied.
  2. Try to enter the state again, which may take a long long time.

Any suggestions? Thanks everyone!

PS: @hius07 Have you ever seen these ill-displayed system in any other cases in 4PDA? It's working fine but everything seems to be smaller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_m.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	361.1 KB
ID:	166442   Click image for larger version

Name:	2_m.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	166445   Click image for larger version

Name:	3_m.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	680.7 KB
ID:	166446  

Last edited by CaesarW; 09-23-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:59 AM   #21
bozza111
Connoisseur
bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KOA2
Lucky. Time to fix your device.
If you could say exactly how you achieved this state it will probably help a lot of people.
bozza111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:35 AM   #22
CaesarW
Linux enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozza111 View Post
Lucky. Time to fix your device.
If you could say exactly how you achieved this state it will probably help a lot of people.
@bozza111 Actually there's no any sort of "ways" to do that. Just happened by chance. I was copying files between bootloops and then it happened. I noticed the copying time for one time is already over a minute and after that, I unplugged and the system GUI showed up.

If there has to be a way, I think it should be trying more with Kindle connected to PC. And maybe the possibility is greater when you are doing a Kindle disk I/O.

Last edited by CaesarW; 09-23-2018 at 03:46 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:58 AM   #23
CaesarW
Linux enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaesarW View Post
What? Rare situation happened!

During a copy, the Kindle showed up as a drive persistently, which means there's no more 20 seconds limit. But it seemed to be related to battery status. My Kindle showed a battery low alert and something related to computer.

Photo attachments are below.

----------------EDIT:

After unplugging the USB, I found that the Kindle is actually INTO the system, I got full GUI. The "battery alert" mentioned indicated that Kindle dectected USB connection and it's charging. But the screen didn't appear to be normal scale.
It's really rare and hard to enter. After copying evrything I need, I tried to install 5.8.9.0.1 update (full md5 integrity checked), and it appeared "UPDATE ERROR: 10", which is a new error code I've never encountered. I've checked the firmware version and it's 5.7.4.

But luckily, I've got all the firmwares copied in advance in case 5.8.9.0.1 doesn't work. Now it's again in the bootloop.

Now I got two options:
  1. Restore with fw 5.8.10/5.8.11 which I already fully copied.
  2. Try to enter the state again, which may take a long long time.

Any suggestions? Thanks everyone!

PS: @hius07 Have you ever seen these ill-displayed system in any other cases in 4PDA? It's working fine but everything seems to be smaller.

Update:
Now updated to 5.8.10. Kindle runs normally, but of course, without jailbreaking .
Trying again to downgrade to 5.8.9.0.1. Hope it works.

PS: Even though the firmware is updated to 5.8.10, the system still looks a bit ill-displayed occasionally as you can see from the bottom of the display, there's a grey area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	display.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	166450  

Last edited by CaesarW; 09-23-2018 at 04:11 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:46 AM   #24
bozza111
Connoisseur
bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KOA2
Did you not try to install the jailbreak before updating?
bozza111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:51 AM   #25
CaesarW
Linux enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozza111 View Post
Did you not try to install the jailbreak before updating?
Just forgot to install the jailbreak, stupid again .
Good news is Kindle is back to life. Bad news is not able to install any copied bin files. They got deleted by Kindle once I disconnect it from the PC.

Anyway to solve this?
Old 09-23-2018, 05:10 AM   #26
hius07
Wizard

That's all, you are on 5.8.10 without software jb possibility.

It seems that after huge amount of reboots the system (initial factory 5.7.4) has finally restored itself. Very interesting.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:14 AM   #27
CaesarW
Linux enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
That's all, you are on 5.8.10 without software jb possibility.

It seems that after huge amount of reboots the system (initial factory 5.7.4) has finally restored itself. Very interesting.
All right. Thanks anyway.

And anyone who wants to know about my experience can post under the thread or just PM me. I'll be happy to share.

Last edited by CaesarW; 09-23-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:54 PM   #28
zen9night
zen9night began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Hi CaesarW,

Thank you for documenting your kindle debricking effort. This thread has been very useful for me.

Like you, I have jailbroken my kindle PW3. The Jailbreak was successful, but I have stupidly switched on the wifi and copy pasted a huge number of ebooks from my previous document folder.

I suppose something went wrong in that process because my Kindle displayed a "Device Error" alert. This time, I did even dumber thing, which is to restart my Kindle. It got stuck in bootloop ever since.

I have followed the steps in this thread. Below is the typical flow that I encounter:
1. Hard reset the kindle by pressing power button for 40 seconds.
2. Around 47 seconds after the orange light start blinking, windows will detect the mounted Kindle (it will only be mounted for ~20 seconds)
3. Use KillCopy to transfer factory image (I use update_pw3_5.9.6.1_factory.bin which is around 290 mb) to the mounted Kindle
4. Usually the first attempt would be quite successful. The copy progress will go up to 30%.
5. After which the Kindle will restart and display "Updating software" screen.
6. It will result in error and the screen will display "Update Error: 4", sometimes "Update Error: 15" if the progress of the copy exceeds 40%.
7. I will hard reset it again to mount it and resume the copy process.
8. However, after the first copy, the subsequent process of resuming will not work so well. There will hardly be any increase in the copy progress and it will always seem to get stuck at the first percentage (e.g 30% in the first copy).

I have also tried other resumable copy software like Copy Handler but it yields the same result.

If it is not too much of a trouble, could you share
1. Your KillCopy configuration/setting
2. The image (.bin) file you used

Thank you so much in advance! I am incredibly thankful to this amazing community for sharing so freely!

P.S: If anyone else have a recommendation on other resumable copy software for Windows, feel free to share as well.
zen9night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:36 AM   #29
CaesarW
Linux enthusiast

Hey @zen9night
Quite a long story here... And sorry for your Kindle.

Well actually I don't really think simply copying large amount of data would brick the system. But since it happens, may be my experience could be of some help.

Something that's not clarified in the thread is that when you use KillCopy, you would have to rename the firmware upgrade file to something other than bin, e.g .tmp .update etc. So the system would not recognize the file and you can transfer it part by part.

There's nothing special about my KillCopy configuration. Just follow the default setting and set a bigger cache size maybe. And also I installed my temporary system in a VM and it was now destroyed after debricking my Kindle, so can't provide much help on KillCopy.

One more thing to notice is that you have to be patient to try a lot of times. I personally had about 30-40 failures.

If you have any extra questions, just leave posts or PM.
I would be happy to help.

Tags
brick, downgrade, jailbreak, linux, pw3