Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #31
ssahnan
Enthusiast
ssahnan is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle3g, kindle touch, kindle fire, kindle ipad 1 and 2, kindle iphon
Sure seems hit and miss with different fire units. For me, I have not noticed any abnormally low performance on it. Maybe the router I have does a better job of reaching the furthest reaches of the house to mask a subpar wifi on the fire but so far it's been great. I recently upgraded my router as I would have issues connecting on weaker devices at the end of the house with the previous router but for me, all devices feel equal under my current setup
ssahnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #32
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Just tried my Fire outside 30 feet out. Worked just fine still 3-4 bars.

You can see which router i have listed in a post above in this thread.

Last edited by salsaguy; 01-04-2012 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Fure auto correct typeo
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:39 AM   #33
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Btw
i would stay away from the signal booster devices. Before i got the new router i tried one and for the money it didn't help much and would disconnect every other time so it was more trouble.
Took it back the next day and ordered a new wireless router. Better to upgrade all the way instead of trying to patch/band-aide a bad signal to begin with.

Last edited by salsaguy; 01-04-2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: typeo
Old 01-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #34
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
Btw
i would stay away from the signal booster devices. Before i got the new router i tried one and for the money it didn't help much and would disconnect every other time so it was more trouble.
Took it back the next day and ordered a new wireless router. Better to upgrade all the way instead of trying to patch/band-aide a bad signal to begin with.
The thing about wifi is it's a two-way street. Both router and client need to be able to hear each other, so boosting signal strength in one direction won't necessarily help unless the unit being boosted is emitting a weaker signal than the other. A signal booster will typically improve data throughput in the direction of the boosted signal (since throughput is proportional to signal strength) but it will probably not allow connections where none were possible before.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #35
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
It will let you see which channel you are on and see if your neighbors are bleeding into yours

If needed change your wifi channe on your routerl to one not overused by others in your area.

Wifi analyzer helps you find the best channel for you
Thanks for this. I installed it and I have lots of bleed outside. I'll try changing the channel and if that doesn't help I'll buy a new router in the Spring.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #36
salsaguy
Addict

Sparkle what was your signal strength showing on the app? Red yellow or green zone.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #37
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I believe it was showing red.

I also changed the channel and it has made a difference, thanks to those who suggested that. I now have full strength everywhere in my house. Previously I lost a line in the bedroom, but everywhere else was fine. Now outside in my driveway I'm almost at full strength, but when I move to the yard I only have a line or two, but it still seems to stay connected whereas before I lost the connection completely. I was only out there briefly (it's freezing out today, lol) so I can't be sure it will stay connected. I'll test it better on a warmer day.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 01-08-2012 at 02:00 PM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #38
salsaguy
Addict

If you can move the Pc with the router to a more centralized location you may get a better signal. But your router may just not be powerful enough to reach all areas of your house.
My old router couldn't eithrr until i upgraded to one that had the N band inasted of just a and b and g bands.