Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-22-2023, 05:27 PM   #1
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Android
Book Jackets no creating in PDF conversion?

UPDATE: Solved by post #3
I'm noticing that the book jacket that I create for my epubs through metadata and comments does NOT print as part of the PDF when I convert from epub to PDF.

I'm hoping there is a simply "checkbox" option to make this happen or that can be added to the output options. I haven't been able to find one.

I know a longer, round-about method to copy the jacket html as another file in the epub to make that happen, but then I'd have to special fixes if I update.

Anyone know how to make this happen? I'm surprised the jacket.xhtml file doesn't get included yet the titlepage.xhtml and the start.xhtml files do. I figure there is something in the default programming that has it set as such.

Last edited by jecilop; 08-23-2023 at 12:00 AM. Reason: UPDATE
jecilop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 06:42 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How did you create the jacket in the EPUB?

I create mine with the Modify plugin, with the "Jacket at the end of the book" option checked, if I convert to PDF that's where the 'jacket' is.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2023, 10:41 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The option to include jackets during conversion is in the structure detection section of the conversion dialog
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 11:59 PM   #4
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The option to include jackets during conversion is in the structure detection section of the conversion dialog
Awesome...that worked..Thank You. I would not have connected that as I has "jacket" on the mind more than anything. It used the file I do so I also get the formatting I set up.

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2023, 12:26 AM   #5
jecilop
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
How did you create the jacket in the EPUB?

I create mine with the Modify plugin, with the "Jacket at the end of the book" option checked, if I convert to PDF that's where the 'jacket' is.

BR
Hey,

Kovid solved it for me..see post #3.

If still curious, I started with the default jacket template many years ago. Someone (and I even think at one point you helped some) created a more customized one for me. From these things I learned more about the code and setup and have customized it further in both fields included and formatting. The original table format with a white background wreaked havoc on my e-reader and eyes with a dark background. I've done away with that.

I use the Polish Book plug-in to add the jacket. It doesn't have an option as to where to put it, but by default it is at the beginning which I like for my uses. If, however, it occasionally mattered to me to place the jacket differently (or perhaps create a permanent file that won't change with metadata changes and polishing), I know how to make or move the jacket.html for that purpose.

P.S....jacket related QUESTION....Once upon a time, my series format for the jacket template was set as I wanted. Calibre updates happened, and the series format defaulted back to the Roman numerals. I went and fixed that setting, BUT the order of the format also changed. I cannot figure out how to get it to generate as: " MySeriesName 1 " rather than " 1 of MySeriesName " . So I get 1 of Lord of the Rings rather than Lords of the Rings 1.
Remember, this is an entry that only generates IF the data exist which is how I want it. The code ONLY has {series} yet generates an index before it. I haven't found anything to let me adjust this. Even if I add {series_index} after {series}, nothing happens...surprisingly.
Any knowledge on this? I can't even remember how it worked that way before older updates as the code from that older template was the same as now....
Advert
Old 08-23-2023, 01:40 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecilop View Post
Hey,

Kovid solved it for me..see post #3.

If still curious, I started with the default jacket template many years ago. Someone (and I even think at one point you helped some) created a more customized one for me. From these things I learned more about the code and setup and have customized it further in both fields included and formatting. The original table format with a white background wreaked havoc on my e-reader and eyes with a dark background. I've done away with that.

I use the Polish Book plug-in to add the jacket. It doesn't have an option as to where to put it, but by default it is at the beginning which I like for my uses. If, however, it occasionally mattered to me to place the jacket differently (or perhaps create a permanent file that won't change with metadata changes and polishing), I know how to make or move the jacket.html for that purpose.

P.S....jacket related QUESTION....Once upon a time, my series format for the jacket template was set as I wanted. Calibre updates happened, and the series format defaulted back to the Roman numerals. I went and fixed that setting, BUT the order of the format also changed. I cannot figure out how to get it to generate as: " MySeriesName 1 " rather than " 1 of MySeriesName " . So I get 1 of Lord of the Rings rather than Lords of the Rings 1.
Remember, this is an entry that only generates IF the data exist which is how I want it. The code ONLY has {series} yet generates an index before it. I haven't found anything to let me adjust this. Even if I add {series_index} after {series}, nothing happens...surprisingly.
Any knowledge on this? I can't even remember how it worked that way before older updates as the code from that older template was the same as now....
Sorry, my knowledge of formatting jackets is negligible, and as far as I can remember it's always been shown as "2 of Toads Hall", rather than "Toads Hall [2]".

BR
Old 08-23-2023, 02:35 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Posting the comment from the default jacket template

If you do not want the series number to be formatted using roman numerals
change {series.roman} to {series}. You can also access the raw series name and number
using {series.name}, {series.number} or {series.roman_number}
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 01:21 PM   #8
jecilop
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Posting the comment from the default jacket template

If you do not want the series number to be formatted using roman numerals
change {series.roman} to {series}. You can also access the raw series name and number
using {series.name}, {series.number} or {series.roman_number}
Thank You! That's what I needed. I tested including my custom series columns and have it all working as I want now.
Old 08-24-2023, 01:40 PM   #9
jecilop
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Sorry, my knowledge of formatting jackets is negligible, and as far as I can remember it's always been shown as "2 of Toads Hall", rather than "Toads Hall [2]".

BR
If you want my template or a customized one, I'd be glad to help. You've certainly helped me when you can.

I've attached a screenshot of my setup (with some "test" names in my additional series columns).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-24 132406.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	203330  
Old 08-24-2023, 06:20 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
If you want my template or a customized one, I'd be glad to help. You've certainly helped me when you can.

I've attached a screenshot of my setup (with some "test" names in my additional series columns).
Thanks for the offer but I'm not bothered by "2 of whatever". Very few of my books have Series metadata. The reason I haven't removed it from the jacket is that any data in the Series column is likely to be spurious, in which case I remove it from the book.

BTW - the second sentence KG quoted from the comment in template.html was added in version 2.??. I customised the version 1.?? jacket in 2013, its been the same ever since There's a lesson in that.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-24-2023 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-03-2023, 01:09 AM   #11
jecilop
Addict

Quote:
Thank You! That's what I needed. I tested including my custom series columns and have it all working as I want now.
@Kovid,

I will note one thing, however, that I didn't realize until after....using the "raw" names means it is generating a series # of 1 even when there is no series entered.

Ex: from the provided picture to BetterRed..... Test 2nd 1 and Test 3rd 1 yield just a 1 when there is not series in the blank thus printing unnecessary lines...

I had to go back to the default you have set up of "1 of ....."

Tags
jacket, pdf jacket