Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-13-2023, 10:57 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Cover page getting duplicated in spine - user error or bug?

I am converting some AZW3 books (mostly Amazon freebies acquired last year) to ePub.

Occasionally, the automatic split of chapter breaks will split apart the cover page. Then I get this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-09-13 23_54_31-Window.png
Views:	81
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	203752

This file is the cover page for the book. This file occurs more than once in the spine.

I'm usually able to fix this by either re-running the conversion without split or editing the content.opf.

Is this user error, or a bug?

Last edited by ownedbycats; 09-13-2023 at 11:04 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 11:05 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186697
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 11:15 PM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Something odd here: The conversion was done with Action Chains. Since that doesn't have a log, I reproduced all the settings I could and it didn't occur.

I'll ask in the plugin thread about it.
Old 09-13-2023, 11:47 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I've seen that a couple of time when the cover image was tagged with a hx tag and a caption also had a hx tag. More commonly in the title page where the book title gets a h1 tag and the series/subtitle and author get a h2 tag. One reason why I use KindleUnpack for azw3 files that I obtain since it does not split files in the background and does spit out something much closer to the original ePub input file.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 02:16 AM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

@kovidgoyal: I just uploaded a ticket with the debug log and copyrighted book files. It's flagged security because I wasn't sure how else to make it private.

@DNSB - The H1/H2 does match up to what I saw too. I think opening the ePub directly in ebook-edit and saving as ePub will also get something close.

This is part of my 'send to device + add to reading list' Action Chain so I'm thinking I might be better off disabling the split entirely - especially since most books split as intended instead of having a single 500-page HTML file that freezes my Kobo.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 09-14-2023 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:20 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
@kovidgoyal: I just uploaded a ticket with the debug log and copyrighted book files. It's flagged security because I wasn't sure how else to make it private.

@DNSB - The H1/H2 does match up to what I saw too. I think opening the ePub directly in ebook-edit and saving as ePub will also get something close.

This is part of my 'send to device + add to reading list' Action Chain so I'm thinking I might be better off disabling the split entirely - especially since most books split as intended instead of having a single 500-page HTML file that freezes my Kobo.
Or as suggested using KindleUnpack to create the epub from the azw3/KF8 file and avoiding many of the issues that I have with a calibre conversion.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 02:42 AM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

This was fixed for 6.27:

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...bfdbe00a98d5d0
Old 09-30-2023, 04:45 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've seen that a couple of time when the cover image was tagged with a hx tag and a caption also had a hx tag. More commonly in the title page where the book title gets a h1 tag and the series/subtitle and author get a h2 tag. One reason why I use KindleUnpack for azw3 files that I obtain since it does not split files in the background and does spit out something much closer to the original ePub input file.
I find a calibre conversion better then KindleUnpack when the eBook it one big html file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 04:51 AM   #9
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I find a calibre conversion better then KindleUnpack when the eBook it one big html file.
I find the 'big HTML file' a bit less common than properly split books, but I guess this depends on what kind of books you read.