Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-20-2011, 04:01 AM   #1
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Amazon: The Big Deal Sale until 7/27

US

Quote:
Kindle Books: The Big Deal

What's "The Big Deal,” you say? We’re glad you asked... 900 Kindle books are on sale for $0.99, $1.99, $2.99, and $3.99 through midnight PDT on July 27, 2011.
The Big Deal
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:07 AM   #2
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
OMG....
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 04:15 AM   #3
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lol - I know! What's really interesting is that in this sale, unlike the last one, some of the big 6 publishers are participating.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:31 AM   #4
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
it's a good thing i still have some money left i see some books on my wishlist~
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:31 AM   #5
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Yes, yes, yes. I am happy. My wallet is not.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
At least some of these are on sale at BN.com also. Just last week someone recommended James Rollins as an author I would like. When I saw "Map of Bones" was one of the sale books I decided to check at BN and it was the same price there! I checked a few more and most were the same price--so if BN is your store, it is worthwhile to check it out.

Mary
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I saw this come through the pipes and now I wont be productive for a while.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
It's a lot to sort through... maybe we could pick out ones we know are good or look interesting.

Here's some:

A favorite from my childhood, Bridge to Terabithia:
http://www.amazon.com/Bridge-to-Tera...180392&sr=1-41

For fans of "euro police procedurals," Outsiders in Amsterdam. I recommended this on another thread when it wasn't even an ebook and a few people read it and loved it:
http://www.amazon.com/Outsider-Amste...180414&sr=1-56

Good words-to-dollars ratio (although I suppose any free book has a better ratio!). Anyway this is a really long book, too long to read in pbook format. I haven't read it but it has been recommended to me by several friends:
http://www.amazon.com/Jonathan-Stran...180392&sr=1-48

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Oh my...! Already see a couple I will want. I too need to dig through this before I buy.

NightBird, you're a bad influence. First Fictionwise and now Amazon...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
Bev M
Enthusiast
Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.

Device: JetBook Lite
Ooooh, my, I was wicked! Thanks!
Bev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #11
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Thanks for the link!

I bought a book for my seven year old: Warriors #1: Into the Wild. I've been wanting to try ebooks with him, although this isn't really his type of story. (He doesn't seem to like fantasy, but he does like cats. )

It also says grades 6-9 (he's going into grade 3) but he has read all of the Wimpy Kid books and according to his teacher, was reading at a fourth grade level last year, so it shouldn't be much of a stretch. (And I'd like it to be something of a stretch since all he *is* reading this summer are illustrated books. Not all comic, but mostly.)

I think he would really like this one: The Big Book of Boy Stuff, but when I did the "Look Inside", I thought it would make a better paper book that he could flip through and pick out random pages to re-read.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Wow! Thank you for posting this!

I picked up "Android Karenina" and a Neil Gaiman book.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #13
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
I'm looking at "Hunter's Run" by GRRM, Abraham and Dozois and "Keeping It Real" by Justina Robson...
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
You guys should really pick up Zoo City by Lauren Beukes for $0.99 while you are at it
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-City-ebook...194829&sr=1-25

It's a great urban fantasy novel and she deserves all the support she can get! One of the best SA writers in the genre.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #15
NightBird
Wizard

You're welcome, everyone!

I started seeing all these deals last night and posting them, then while I was looking over one of them I was thinking of buying I saw the above message underneath. Clicked on it and said OMG - that's where this flood of deals is coming from! lol Consequently you will see some threads with duplicate books posted from the sale.

If anyone likes mysteries and Soho Press, all those books are posted in that thread along with the descriptions. One other thing nice about this list is I think most, if not all, are the first books in each series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
i see some books on my wishlist~
I had quite a few on mine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmom03 View Post
At least some of these are on sale at BN.com also. I checked a few more and most were the same price--so if BN is your store, it is worthwhile to check it out.

Mary
Yes, definitely! The same thing happened at the last sale as the other places tried to compete with Amazon. Kobo already has several of them up, and hopefully maybe Sony and BooksOnBoard will have some, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
It's a lot to sort through... maybe we could pick out ones we know are good or look interesting.
Yes!

At this link you can sort by price/genre

Well I am getting most of the ones from the Soho list that I didn't already have. I have read the first 2 books in the Grijpstra & de Gier series you mentioned. Not sure if I like these yet or not, but a lot of people do and definitely worth checking out at this price.

Zoo Station by David Downing
The 2-book bundle by Stuart Neville.

I thought Rock Paper Tiger by Lisa Brackmann looked interesting:

Quote:
American Iraq War veteran Ellie Cooper is down and out in Beijing when a chance encounter with a Uighur—a member of a Chinese Muslim minority—at the home of her sort-of boyfriend Lao Zhang turns her life upside down. Lao Zhang disappears, and suddenly multiple security organizations are hounding her for information. They say the Uighur is a terrorist. Ellie doesn’t know what’s going on, but she must decide whom to trust among the artists, dealers, collectors, and operatives claiming to be on her side—in particular, a mysterious organization operating within a popular online role-playing game. As she tries to elude her pursuers, she’s haunted by memories of Iraq. Is what she did and saw there at the root of the mess she’s in now?
I already have the Peter Lovesey book The Last Detective and have read this one and the next in the series. They are excellent and I highly recommend trying this one at this price.

Others:

The Dead Hour by Denise Mina $2.99

This is the second in her Paddy Meehan series, after Field of Blood.

T. Jefferson Parker, one of my favorite crime writers, has a book for $.99

Cold Pursuit

The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny for $2.99. Fifth in her series, which has been mentioned a lot on the Recommendations forum.

Scorcher by John Lutz for $2.99 is the second book in his Fred Carver series. I got the first one at the last sale.

In the SF section:

Ashes of the Earth by Eliot Pattison for $2.99. This guy has written a couple of other series, one a historical mystery and the other mystery series that takes place in China. This is a new series for him, combining mystery and SF, and the first book in the series, so I am curious about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Oh my...! Already see a couple I will want. I too need to dig through this before I buy.

NightBird, you're a bad influence. First Fictionwise and now Amazon...