Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 12-04-2016, 11:06 AM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
We lost this perk once before and got it back, so I'm hopeful although not optimistic.

There are two ironies for me:

The first is that I'd use this option mostly for books that didn't seem worth a credit. I'll choose to read them instead, now, so those will be purchases not made.

The bigger irony is that for the last nine months, my credits (free or nearly so) have cost less than the Whispersync price on the books I purchased after borrowing them from OverDrive.

In fact, I can understand Audible's (Amazon) wanting to rationalize its price structure. But I've got an ample library of unheard Audible books and what with free audiobooks at OverDrive, it could be a very long time before my pent-up demand translates into my becoming a full-price for credits customer again. This will mostly affect impulse purchases and impulses don't last.
I have the grandfathered membership, where I get the discount price without getting a monthly credit. It use to be there were a lot more special discounts for audiobooks when I bought the ebook, but I don't see those offers nearly as often as I once did. Deals like that can't go on for ever. Loss leaders are a short term thing.

For the most part, I'm satisfied paying the normal discount price with my membership. Over the space of a year, it pays for itself. I've always been a big believer in the idea that one should spend the money to make sure authors get paid enough to keep writing rather than being forced into a day job.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I have the grandfathered membership, where I get the discount price without getting a monthly credit. It use to be there were a lot more special discounts for audiobooks when I bought the ebook, but I don't see those offers nearly as often as I once did. Deals like that can't go on for ever. Loss leaders are a short term thing.

For the most part, I'm satisfied paying the normal discount price with my membership. Over the space of a year, it pays for itself. I've always been a big believer in the idea that one should spend the money to make sure authors get paid enough to keep writing rather than being forced into a day job.
It's not my personal responsibility to make sure a business model does what we need it to do; it's up to the business/industry to find viable parameters that work for all the participants, both providers and consumers. If Audible created unrealistic expectations regarding the price of audiobooks, I'm not obligated to dig into my pocket to make up the shortfall. It seems to me, all they can do is wait it out in the anticipation that people will change their expectations over time and work off their cheaper inventory.

I think an exact analogy is Kobo and the unlimited 90% coupons (well, OK, that's more extreme). In the immediate aftermath, once the coupons and contests dried up, they had to be selling fewer units and for less gross revenues. Presumably their gross profit margins went up. Where they stand in terms of their net profit, I have no idea, but I suspect they haven't got past the bubble yet. I know I've still got lots of cheep inventory that depresses what I'm willing to spend on an ebook.

I'm going to note that wee contradiction where you have a better deal than is available to us cheapskates who aren't willing to pay authors a living wage.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #18
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I've always been a big believer in the idea that one should spend the money to make sure authors get paid enough to keep writing rather than being forced into a day job.
Not my responsibility to ensure that someone's choice of occupation is profitable.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:34 PM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It's not my personal responsibility to make sure a business model does what we need it to do; it's up to the business/industry to find viable parameters that work for all the participants, both providers and consumers. If Audible created unrealistic expectations regarding the price of audiobooks, I'm not obligated to dig into my pocket to make up the shortfall. It seems to me, all they can do is wait it out in the anticipation that people will change their expectations over time and work off their cheaper inventory.

I think an exact analogy is Kobo and the unlimited 90% coupons (well, OK, that's more extreme). In the immediate aftermath, once the coupons and contests dried up, they had to be selling fewer units and for less gross revenues. Presumably their gross profit margins went up. Where they stand in terms of their net profit, I have no idea, but I suspect they haven't got past the bubble yet. I know I've still got lots of cheep inventory that depresses what I'm willing to spend on an ebook.

I'm going to note that wee contradiction where you have a better deal than is available to us cheapskates who aren't willing to pay authors a living wage.
No, it's not your responsibility, however, as the saying goes, there is no such thing as a free lunch. Thus, you can't really expect a deeply discounted deal to continue indefinitely. Eventually, they either have to make money or go out of business. I prefer to support a business with a good business model that will enable it to continue for a long time. I like ebooks and audiobooks. People make both because they expect to make money at it. If they don't, then they stop.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #20
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Not my responsibility to ensure that someone's choice of occupation is profitable.
It is if you like the product and want to be able to continue getting it.

To a great extent, that is the other side of supply and demand. If demand for a product isn't enough to pay for the cost of the product, then the product won't be produced. Thinking that you can get a quality product that takes a lot of man hours to produce for a few dollars is the flip side of the producer wanting to sell a product that cost $2 to produce for $200. Neither is a very long lasting business model.
Advert
Old 01-05-2017, 12:01 PM   #21
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Well I am concerned....just checked out 2 library books via Kindle with hopes of buying the audio book. Both books show up in my Manage your Kindle screen. On the individual book page, there is no bar saying I borrowed it, and there is no ability to get the audio book for the cheaper price, not on Amazon or in my Audible account.

can anyone check it with a book of their choice? *You don't have to buy the audio, to see if you get the discounted price.

The books I am referring to are by Vivian Arend, Let It Ride & One Sexy Ride.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #22
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
It isn't possible any longer to purchase discounted titles from Audible from Overdrive borrows.

I would've purchased a lot more sooner had I known this was going to be discontinued!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #23
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Yes, as we discussed at the beginning of December, getting the Whispersync for Voice perk on library books has gone away. I can confirm that's still the case.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #24
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well darn I missed that or maybe my mind just couldn't take that in! That is terribly disappointing!
Old 01-05-2017, 12:48 PM   #25
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Shoot, I was hoping the new posts would say Amazon had gone back to the old way!

I too would have borrowed many more books and bought the accompanying audiobooks if I'd known ahead of time.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
It's like Amazon suddenly realized what people were doing.

"Say, look what they're doing."

"Well, we'll put a stop to that!"
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:06 PM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's like Amazon suddenly realized what people were doing.
More like a big publisher figured it out and threw a fit if anything.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #28
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Time to pare down my WL at the library.

I'll use TTS if I must. It's sad that this has happened, it was one of the best things about Amazon.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #29
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Time to pare down my WL at the library.

I'll use TTS if I must. It's sad that this has happened, it was one of the best things about Amazon.
And then there are the Kindle titles that don't allow TTS. I came across one of them today that I wanted to continue on the Echo while I was doing things around the house.

from my Galaxy S6
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #30
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
And then there are the Kindle titles that don't allow TTS. I came across one of them today that I wanted to continue on the Echo while I was doing things around the house.
Welcome to DRM and some publishers being afraid TTS will cut into audiobook sales.