Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 06-05-2020, 08:11 AM   #121
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
You'd have to know you were wrong, to think of looking it up. My first guess was "keens" too. I'm not sure I know him, though it sounds a little familiar.
My guess was "keens" too. I wouldn't have known that was wrong to look it up.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:23 AM   #122
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
“Keens.”
While the Keynes in "John Maynard Keynes" is pronounced kaynz, The Keynes in "Milton Keynes" really is pronounced keenz, so the mistake is understandable.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2020, 02:29 PM   #123
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
While the Keynes in "John Maynard Keynes" is pronounced kaynz, The Keynes in "Milton Keynes" really is pronounced keenz, so the mistake is understandable.
I absolutely must disagree with this. J.M. Keynes is one of the seminal thinkers of the 20th century and the narrator of a non-fiction book which covers economic issues should be conversant in both the literal as well as metaphorical sense with the terms and proper names. And, the production process should catch errors if they occur!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #124
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
You have to know that it might be an error, though, and it's more than possible that no one in the production chain had any reason to think it was. It's probable that they all had the same comfortable certainty of its pronunciation.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:10 PM   #125
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
I once listened to a famous author read his own audiobook. He pronounced the name of an important character differently in different chapters.

Who am I to judge?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2020, 03:14 PM   #126
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They need to do a better job to make sure that the terms in non-fiction books are pronounced correctly and especially proper names. It wouldn’t be that hard - just get someone who has a background in the subject to vet it. And this is not an obscure person.

Audiobooks that have mispronunciations are shoddy. It’s the equivalent of misspellings in a print book, except that you can’t ascribe it to a typo. It’s sheer ignorance and laziness.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:18 PM   #127
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
I once listened to a famous author read his own audiobook. He pronounced the name of an important character differently in different chapters.

Who am I to judge?
The buyer always gets to judge. That’s easy.

An author reading his own book is always a dealbreaker for me; the results tend to range from mediocre to lousy. However, if I’d listened to this, not only would I not have listened to another book read by him, I’d also not read another book by him.

So who is it?
Old 06-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #128
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

An author reading his own book is always a dealbreaker for me; the results tend to range from mediocre to lousy. However, if I’d listened to this, not only would I not have listened to another book read by him, I’d also not read another book by him.

So who is it?
Philip Pullman is narrating the His Dark Materials series and he does an excellent job. They are multi-cast and I really like the choices for the voices.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:22 PM   #129
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

An author reading his own book is always a dealbreaker for me; the results tend to range from mediocre to lousy.
Interesting. The only audiobook I've ever been able to get close to finishing was Dreams From My Father, read by the author. I still got impatient, bored and gave up, but made it further through than any audiobook before or since.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #130
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:

So who is it?
That's often true, but not quite always. I have run across a few books where the author has done a good job, most recent being The Observations by Jane Harris.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:27 PM   #131
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
[...] And, the production process should catch errors if they occur!
Now that I agree with. Someone in the production process should have spotted the error.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:01 PM   #132
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm forgiving of a lot, but the somewhat common mispronunciations of "realty/realtor" and "nuclear" will still get you banished from my ears PDQ. I have zero patience for it. Can you really not hear that people aren't saying the same words you are? Have you never actually looked at the words?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:06 AM   #133
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm forgiving of a lot, but the somewhat common mispronunciations of "realty/realtor" and "nuclear" will still get you banished from my ears PDQ. I have zero patience for it. Can you really not hear that people aren't saying the same words you are? Have you never actually looked at the words?
Yeah, there's only one "u" in nuclear, isn't there?
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #134
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Yeah, there's only one "u" in nuclear, isn't there?
Yep.
And no moving the "a" after the "l" in realty/realtor, either.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:18 PM   #135
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yep.
And no moving the "a" after the "l" in realty/realtor, either.
Well, they're just made up American words anyway.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote