Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 08-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #91
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's what you're used to, Jon. "Right" is whatever you grew up with. That's a disadvantage of audiobooks, of course; spelling differences are much less jarring than pronunciation differences.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's what you're used to, Jon. "Right" is whatever you grew up with. That's a disadvantage of audiobooks, of course; spelling differences are much less jarring than pronunciation differences.
If I was listening to an audiobook with those sorts of pronunciations, it would take me out of the story.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #93
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I was listening to an audiobook with those sorts of pronunciations, it would take me out of the story.
Precisely my point. That's probably why there are different British and American English versions of so many audiobooks.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:27 PM   #94
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I did hear a rather startling mispronunciation in Hell's Foundations Quiver the other day. discipline (i.e. training troups) was pronounced Disciple-in (as in the 12 disciples). It rather surprised me, because the narrator is normally very, very good.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:33 PM   #95
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Any chance the word was hyphenated in the copy he was reading from? That can throw me off for some words, even not reading outloud. You know, you start down one mental pronunciation path, only to find that the ending makes it a whole different word?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #96
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Any chance the word was hyphenated in the copy he was reading from? That can throw me off for some words, even not reading outloud. You know, you start down one mental pronunciation path, only to find that the ending makes it a whole different word?
It's entirely possible. I was just a bit surprised that they didn't catch that and have him re-read the passage. It didn't take away from the enjoyment of the book, like I said the narrator is very, very good. It just surprised me.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:15 AM   #97
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
One thing that I find very jarring is when you are listening to a series and the pronunciation changes from book to book, either due to a narrator change or presumably them being corrected after making the mistake in an earlier book.

A particularly glaring example for me was Trudi Canavan's Black Magician Trilogy where the narrator changed for the 3rd book and randomly decided the hero could be Sonia rather than the Sonea of the first two books.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #98
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Had a similar problem with Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series. However, if I remember correctly, it was something prompted by the author. She has a character named Akeldama. In the first book, it was read as uh-KEEL-duh-muh. Second and following books, it because ACK-el-DAHM-uh. She had decided that later in the series, a new character was going to call him "Dama", (sounds like llama) so she wanted the pronunciation to match on the full name.

I very much enjoyed the way Emily Gray, the narrator, read this series. I never could get into the followup books because of the new narrator's style.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 09-07-2017 at 08:36 PM. Reason: fumble-finger typing
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm listening to The Rise and Fall of the D.O.D.O. and the reader made a rather big blunder. where the books shows ROTC, the reader says rotsee instead of R.O.T.C. like it should be pronounced.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #100
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm listening to The Rise and Fall of the D.O.D.O. and the reader made a rather big blunder. where the books shows ROTC, the reader says rotsee instead of R.O.T.C. like it should be pronounced.
I've heard a lot of people use rotsee rather than R.O.T.C. When I was in college, back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, one of my roomate's friends was known as Rotsee Ray because he was in the R.O.T.C.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #101
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I wonder if that pronunciation perhaps has a negative implication? I read a book recently in which a member of the ROTC was referred to by his detractors as a "Rot-C Nazi".
Old 09-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #102
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I've never heard "rot-see." I would be baffled by it.

I was recently catching up on a series set on the British homefront during WWII; the books don't all have the same narrator. I noticed one narrator saying "waff" for WAAF, while another said "W-A-A-F." I doubt I would have noticed if I hadn't been listening to the books in rapid succession.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:42 PM   #103
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I've heard a lot of people use rotsee rather than R.O.T.C. When I was in college, back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, one of my roomate's friends was known as Rotsee Ray because he was in the R.O.T.C.
I was reading along to the audiobook and if I wasn't, I'd not have known what was being said. Rot-C just sounds wrong and most people would have no idea what it was that was being said.

You would not say my5 for MI-5. You would not say fabi for FBI. So why would you say rot-c for ROTC?
Old 09-11-2017, 05:55 PM   #104
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
You would not say fabi for FBI.
Correct; I'd say fibi because the FBI is not fab
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:10 PM   #105
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Rot-see was quite common when I was in college and knew some ROTC people. Mid west (USA) in case that matters.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote