Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #46
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
I decided to do a quick (as in under 5 minutes) search of the underworld. It's a shame - as I was quickly able to find versions of most of the books mentioned here, many marked v1 or higher (meaning they've been proofed multiple times usually). The authors are missing out, and the readers who don't like the dark are missing out because they can't get a copy of some great readings.
It is a shame that there aren't versions of all of these books for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Off the top of my head, I can think of only two series, which, technically, makes it nine books.

The Black Company by Glen Cook
and
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever (First & Second) by Stephen R. Donaldson.
I wouldn't mind having the Black Company books myself.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #47
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessangel View Post
Just one

Shibumi by Trevanian

Bought the paperback but it's falling literally appart and haven't been able to find it anywhere =/

GJMS
try www.abebooks.com There's a hardcover for 2.72 in very good condition from a 5 star bookseller. About 30 more hardcovers and 50 or so paperbacks. The higher rated booksellers tend to specify actual condition. Think they're usually nook and cranny collectors book dealers. You can specify various things in the advanced search. I use that because I like both bound and ebooks
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #48
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
...The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever (First & Second) by Stephen R. Donaldson.
Oh, yeah! It has been so many years since I read the Thomas Covenant books, but at the time I was completely drawn in to that world. Haven't thought about that series in quite a while....
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:03 AM   #49
dannylee
dannylee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS
The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter
Midnight's Children
Sophie's Choice
A passage to India
Woman in love
dannylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #50
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylee View Post
Midnight's Children
Sophie's Choice
A passage to India
Woman in love
FYI, these four are available as ebooks already.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #51
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Divina Commedia in Italian with the commentary of Natalino Sapegno. Without the commentary most of the fun is lost, it remains only the naked words, but not the why, the how, the background, the inner meanings, the good stuff. Practically useless. Many admire the commentary of De Santis. Good for them.

Ulysses with a good commentary. Similar reasons, although less critical.

Books of Thomas Mann, translated in English. Sorry, I do not read German.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #52
PublicDomainiac
PublicDomainiac began at the beginning.

Device: none
A Reader's Guide Book by May Lamberton Becker. It was published in 1924, with a reprint in 1926. From what I can figure out it should actually be in the public domain because I can't find a copyright renewal in the 1950's when it should have been done. Wish I had the time and know-how to convert it myself... Now, as to why.

May Lamberton Becker wrote a column about books and reading in the Literary Review of the New York Evening Post. She answered readers' questions about good books of various types, on various topics and for various purposes. This book seems to be a compilation of her columns, and includes titles suggested by her readers.

Being published in 1924, it's a terrific guide to books that are now in the Public Domain but just barely. Her writing style is very lively; it's not a dry bibliography. I've spent literally hours just exploring titles suggested in the first chapter. It's a real help to me, because I've never heard of a lot of these authors, and if I saw their name listed at places like ManyBooks.net, I wouldn't know whether to bother with them or not. Most of the ones that interest me are available for free on Amazon or at ManyBooks.

For now, you might be able to get hold of this title through inter-library loan, as I did; there are also a couple of copies for sale online.
PublicDomainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #53
Paegan2246
Connoisseur
Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, iPod Touch, 3-160GB iPod classics
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Oh, yeah! It has been so many years since I read the Thomas Covenant books, but at the time I was completely drawn in to that world. Haven't thought about that series in quite a while....
Those books introduced me to the entire fantasy genre.
Paegan2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #54
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I was surprised that Gaiman and Pratchertt's Good Omens isn't available as an ebook, at least not at Amazon or Fictionwise.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:56 PM   #55
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I would love to see Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series in Kindle format!
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #56
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmay View Post
I would love to see Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series in Kindle format!
I have all of those on my Kindle. ??

Thinking back, I must have bought them from Fictionwise a while back, and they were in non-DRM mobi, which works just fine on the Kindle. If not, they're probably on Baen. They are around, in non-DRM format, for sure.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:16 PM   #57
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Wow! Thanks for the tip. I will hunt them down.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #58
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Old Filth by Jane Gardam - its sequel The Man in the Wooden Hat has been recorded on audio, but neither seems to be out as an ebook (yet).
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:43 AM   #59
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I have to revive an old thread to respond to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
Mockingbird and The Man Who Fell To Earth by Walter Tevis
I'd pay big bucks for anything by Tevis...probably even his grocery lists are worth reading.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #60
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
"Heavy Weather" by P.G. Wodehouse.

Most of the rest of Wodehouse is widely available in various formats, so I don't understand why this one has fallen through the cracks.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote