Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
cats2books
Enthusiast
cats2books doesn't littercats2books doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 11, iPad Pro 12.9 and 9.7
Telephone Scam

Today I have received 4 calls from what my caller ID shows as Apple Inc. The recorded message says that my iCloud ID has been compromised and that I need to press 1 to speak with support, or call a number that they give.

The number that my caller ID shows is my local Apple Store number. I called the Apple Store and they have a recorded message saying that they are aware of people receiving fraudulent calls and that you should not give out any information to the caller.

These people are evil!
cats2books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:19 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
If you are using an iPhone (you don't say, there) then get "True Caller" or "Hiya" which will allow you to add these psychopathic individuals to your blocklist very easily. Both these apps also come with a builtin which appear to differ according to location. I've been very impressed with them. Spammers and Scammers on the phone get right up my nose.

[edit] More info: True Caller appears to be available for Android and Windows mobile as well. Nice. Its free to download and theres a subscription model which is NOT compulsory. I've been using it free for months.

No idea how they would spoof a genuine number, but hopefully the software finds a way to ID the true origin of the call.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 11-08-2017 at 11:25 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2017, 06:14 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Both these apps also come with a builtin which appear to differ according to location.
Can you explain what this means? What is a "builtin"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:55 AM   #4
cats2books
Enthusiast
cats2books doesn't littercats2books doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 11, iPad Pro 12.9 and 9.7
Kyteflyer, thank you for the information on those apps.

Unfortunately, the calls are coming in on my home voip phone. No option to block, other than inputting the number to a list. Since the only number I can see is the spoofed Apple Store number, that’s not a good option.

However, I have been getting many spammers calling my iPhone. So I will definitely try out Hiya or True Caller.
cats2books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:58 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats2books View Post
Unfortunately, the calls are coming in on my home voip phone. No option to block, other than inputting the number to a list. Since the only number I can see is the spoofed Apple Store number, that’s not a good option.
Is the Apple Store likely to call you? If not, blocking the number would seem a reasonable option. I can certainly think of no reason that Apple would ever be likely to call me!
Advert
Old 11-11-2017, 07:19 PM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you explain what this means? What is a "builtin"?
Sorry, Harry, a builtin list of known scammers and spammers. If you are in the US or UK, it will be a different list to the one I have which is AU specific.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Kyteflyer, thank you for the information on those apps.

However, I have been getting many spammers calling my iPhone. So I will definitely try out Hiya or True Caller.
Your VoIP phone ought to have a block capacity. Block the Apple Store number, as Harry says, they wont call you. None of us are important enough for Apple to call
Old 11-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Today I have received 4 calls from what my caller ID shows as Apple Inc. The recorded message says that my iCloud ID has been compromised and that I need to press 1 to speak with support, or call a number that they give.

The number that my caller ID shows is my local Apple Store number. I called the Apple Store and they have a recorded message saying that they are aware of people receiving fraudulent calls and that you should not give out any information to the caller.

These people are evil!
I've seen and heard of scams like that for other places (usually via email) like Ebay and now Netflix as well. Always best to check by going directly to the site rather than by clicking on links in an email or calling a # you are given.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I've seen and heard of scams like that for other places (usually via email) like Ebay and now Netflix as well. Always best to check by going directly to the site rather than by clicking on links in an email or calling a # you are given.
I'm afraid that such things are very common in Britain. The most common one we get is people phoning up claiming to be from "Windows Support", and responding to "a virus on your computer". They try to con your into running Windows Event Viewer, finding the "error" messages in it (which there will always be some) and then charging you a couple of hundred quid to install a worthless "fix".

My standard tactic is to allow them to get half through their spiel, then politely interrupt to say that I'm very interested in what they have to say, but there's someone at the door, and asking them to hold on. The longest I've managed to keep one holding for is 40 minutes, so far .
Old 11-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I'm afraid that such things are very common in Britain. The most common one we get is people phoning up claiming to be from "Windows Support", and responding to "a virus on your computer". They try to con your into running Windows Event Viewer, finding the "error" messages in it (which there will always be some) and then charging you a couple of hundred quid to install a worthless "fix".

My standard tactic is to allow them to get half through their spiel, then politely interrupt to say that I'm very interested in what they have to say, but there's someone at the door, and asking them to hold on. The longest I've managed to keep one holding for is 40 minutes, so far .
That one is pretty common in the US, as well. Another common telephone scam is calling claiming to be from the IRS and if you don't pay some fine via credit card, your wages will be garnished.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:06 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:

The ones that call my mom get very abusive when she tells them that she doesn't have a computer. (She does not have a computer.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #12
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
When I get unsolicited calls I just pretend I'm a double glazing salesman and try sell them some windows
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #13
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Since we dropped our land line, we don’t get as many scammers. If the caller isn’t in our Contacts, and we don’t recognize the number, we don’t answer our cell phones. If it is important, they will leave a message.

I have a Contact for SPAM, and add numbers as needed. Repeat offenders can be blocked if they don’t stop.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:35 PM   #14
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Since we dropped our land line, we don’t get as many scammers. If the caller isn’t in our Contacts, and we don’t recognize the number, we don’t answer our cell phones. If it is important, they will leave a message.

I have a Contact for SPAM, and add numbers as needed. Repeat offenders can be blocked if they don’t stop.
I have one called SPAM also, but prior to having TrueCaller and Hiya, it was called Serial Pests. I block everything in the SPAM list.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #15
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I've been using an iPhone app called Robokiller. You can try it for free then its 99 cents per month. I think its a gift from the gods. A call comes in, Robokiler checks it with a spammer database and you DO NOT get the call. You can check the logs to see if there is a number it blocked that you want to unblock and white-list it.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote