Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
NightStar76
Enthusiast
NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook
Need help fixing an e-pub!

I bought an epub from Barnes and Nobles that I really wanted. When I downloaded it, though, every letter is clinging resolutely to the left-hand side of the screen, making it unreadable on my Nook! I wanted to open it in Sigil to take a look so I could send a note to the publisher, but this is the error I get:

Error info: Cannot load file D:\Calibre\Hearn_ Lafcadio\The Works of Lafcadio Hearn_ Eleven Book (6580)\The Works of Lafcadio Hearn_ Eleven Book - Hearn_ Lafcadio.epub: C:\b\s\Sigil-0.4.2-Code\src\Sigil\Importers\ImportOEBPS.cpp(351): Throw in function class QString __thiscall ImportOEBPS::GetNCXId(void)
Dynamic exception type: class boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<struct ErrorParsingOpf>
std::exception::what: Unknown exception
[struct column_number *] = 174
[struct error_string *] = Namespace prefix 'opf' not declared
[struct line_number *] = 3

Sigil version: 0.4.2
Runtime Qt: 4.7.3
Compiled Qt: 4.7.3
Platform: Windows SysInfo ID 144
NightStar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
DRM protection needs to be removed before you can edit
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 04:01 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
And if you do that, DON'T tell the publisher you did it or the legal sharks could be at your door.

Send the poorly formatted book back and ask for a REFUND or a decently formatted version. The book is Defective.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:37 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
assuming that your nook is properly configured to read purchased books ?.

I don't have a nook myself but most e-reader / store combinations make you jump thru various registration hoops before the reader can open the purchased book
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Wait...I've seen this. It has to do with older epubs, made prior to the Nook RMSDK update. What the heck...trying to remember; it had to do with attempting to put a spanned header inside a speed-optimization setting, to force Nook to NOT hyphenate a header...or it was because the header used spaces between the letters (to create a kerned appearance), and it broke between every letter, again because of the SDK and the hyphenation issue. I don't remember it precisely (sorry), but I'll ask around my Crew and see if they can recall it. We had a similar issue on a recent book, in which the client desperately wanted a small-cap header style PLUS a larger cap (like a 1.1 em setting) for the first letter (like a Raised Initial) and we went through hell with it; eventually decided it couldn't be done on Nook without the hyphenation issue raising its ugly head.

HOWEVER, in the course of the experiments on that book, I did see a header or two come out all flush-left (I mean, all the letters in the header were flush left, aligned vertically, not horizontally)...so I suspect that this is either a) an older epub or b) somebody tried to get cute with the layout, maybe an ID export, and didn't test it on the actual device, because the files we tested looked fine on both ADE and "Nook for PC;" it was only on the actual device that they looked utter crap (natch).

Don't know if that helps, but the poor schmuck who did that book might not have a CLUE that it looks bollocks on the device, FWIW.

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
If there is no DRM on the book, then http://code.google.com/p/sigil/issues/detail?id=1019 is the problem.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just had a similar error pop up.
Running the book through Calibre first (EPUB -> EPUB) , then the book could be edited with Sigil.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:43 AM   #8
NightStar76
Enthusiast
NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.

Thanks! Now, though, I have a different problem. I decided to just start from scratch and edit the requisite htmls into an epub personally, but it keeps failing on my nook. The same thing is happening with my current project, too. The first page shows up, then it goes right back to what I was looking at previously.

When I try to validate, I get an error about a resource not being reachable in the opf. How do I deal with that?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:33 AM   #9
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStar76 View Post
Thanks! Now, though, I have a different problem. I decided to just start from scratch and edit the requisite htmls into an epub personally, but it keeps failing on my nook. The same thing is happening with my current project, too. The first page shows up, then it goes right back to what I was looking at previously.

When I try to validate, I get an error about a resource not being reachable in the opf. How do I deal with that?
Whenever I have gotten that amorphous error message, I have traced it to a hyperlink problem. Either a hyperlink has no target id or the id is not unique or is incorrect.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStar76 View Post

It is saying that some place in the book, you have a link (href) to something not listed in the OPF
1) The file does not exist in the Book Browser.
2) A typo, a (tiny) difference in file name CASE.
3) The file reference has become mangled

#3 is common.
Code:
../Text
What I find is the file name is missing in the reference.
and what I see is:
Code:
../Text/#something
instead of:
Code:
../Text/filename.xhtml#something
Old 10-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
NightStar76
Enthusiast

Thanks! I could leave it to the experts, but I feel like I can do this, so thanks for your help!